18. •Taxonomic classificationWheatFamily :PoaceaeGenus :TriticumOrigin and Domestication o Fertile crescent, domesticated 10,000 years ago BarleyFamily :PoaceaeGenus :Hordeum
19. ObjectivesoTo identify promising adaptive variantsoEvaluate and characterize prommising accessions from gene banks with the participation of women farmersoTo make available & provide access to better-suited crop varieties for targeted local communities to use in adapting to climate change.
20. Materials and MethodsoGenetic materials – 100 Acc of Wheat & 100 Acc of barley (Koka, Ejerie, & Cheffe- 1400,2200 &2450Evaluatorso140 W and 10 couples were selectedoExploited 19 traits for wheat & 16 traits for barley.
21. No of variants found per crop 60No of variants 40 41 55 20 0 Wheat Barley Crop type
22. 41 variants found per2000genotypes of wheat in Koka 10 v excellent performance 17v intermidate EP ISH OT 14v off type
23. No of variants selected by women farmers / seed color 9 9VW 8 7 6 5VR 5 4 3VP 3 2 1 0 17 v selected by farmers
24. ResearchersFarmers selection selection 8v 7v 8V 23v Common variant
25. Comparison made among sitesKoka site Ejerie site 8v 2v 13V 2v
26. How selection criteria affects diversity ? 33v
27. o Math logic :1X + 1X = 2X ,o Diversity logic : 1X + 1X = only 1Xo………………...: 1X + 1Y = 3 = X,xy,YoTherefore ,we have to look always for the unique character
28. Awn roughness farmers preference 15 v RA in Ejerie 16 vsmooth in cheffe 15 vrough in koka
29. Improved varietyLand race
30. Some variants susceptible to head smut
31. Ethiopian seed Custodian
32. Cause & effect of genetic erosion Ik not documented
33. RecommendationsFarmers are a source of valuable information and knowledge. Therefore, it should be documented protected and broad cast their vital indigenous knowledgeWithout a diverse genetic reservoir to draw for further improvement may not be possible, therefore it should be conserve our genetic reservoir.It would be better to encourage farmers to continue to manage a landrace gene pool in evolutionary real time