Farming Systems Approach
Mirja Michalscheck, Wageningen University of Research
Africa RISING–CSISA Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Meeting,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 11-13 November 2013
… to answer questions like …
… to better understand
• Landscape images
• Ecological Structure
• Social Emphasis
• Farm Business
• Single Plots
How suitable are certain
technologies / practices in a
How poor / wealthy are potential
How vulnerable are they to shocks?
Farming Systems Analysis
Possibilities / Limitations
What questions do we answer?
Impact on Scales
Farm DESIGN and FARMSIM serve to..
• Assess components and characteristics (DESCRIBE)
• Analyse and diagnose (EXPLAIN)
• Explore opportunities & trade-offs (EXPLORE)
• Evaluate and suggest changes (DESIGN)
… related to farming systems
Input: Data & Tools
• AR Surveys
ImpactLITE for West Africa (Ghana and Mali)
Farm Design Data Sheet for Tanzania and Malawi
• Secondary Data (including experimental data)
• Conceptually linked to large-scale IFPRI surveys: Statistical backup
How poor / wealthy
• Socio-economic profile of target group?
• Poor households, but: power set-up within household/business?
Vulnerability to Shocks
• Snapshot of Breeds/Varieties , Financial Buffer,
Family Labour Availability
• Dynamic Models
• Growing AR Data Base: Model Inputs, Details on Context
• Stronger link to community and landscape aspects in the static model
(e.g. through agent based models)
• Integrate Gender and Nutrition in Farm DESIGN
Thank you very much !
Questions to the Research Group: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions on the ppt: email@example.com
Entry Points for Research