Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Data Visualization:  Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Data Visualization: Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles

2,797

Published on

I presented a version of this at a P&G Pet Care Global F&A Lunch and Learn. P&G-specific slides have been removed. Content from a Dan Young (P&G Corporate CMK) presentation shared with permission.

I presented a version of this at a P&G Pet Care Global F&A Lunch and Learn. P&G-specific slides have been removed. Content from a Dan Young (P&G Corporate CMK) presentation shared with permission.

Published in: Education, Technology
0 Comments
5 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,797
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
5
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
50
Comments
0
Likes
5
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Data VisualizationCognitive Psychology and DesignPrinciples for Effective VisualCommunicationDan SweetMarch 2012
  • 2. Finance & Accounting Challenges• Communication• Influence others more senior than you• Effectively and persuasively share analysisHowever, the bulk of the people we work withare human. Humans are emotional creatures ofhabit and don’t always listen to reason.
  • 3. F&A’s role• Rational objective analysis• Accurate• Impartial• DispassionateASSUMPTION: Objective Reality ExistsDoes it?
  • 4. Deciding on having surgery…90% chance of survival10% chance of deathWill you have the surgery?
  • 5. Problem with humans • Action preferred over accuracy • Ambiguity is inherent in life • Ambiguity ≈ Risk • Risk  Negative Emotions • Motivation: Pursuing Gains or Avoiding Losses • Avoiding Losses > Pursuing Gains Result is a tendency to make decisions on feelings instead of knowledge“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 6. Much Information Processing is: •Holistic •Low Involvement •Habitual •Affect/Emotion Driven •Driven by past experiences“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 7. Low Involvement Logic Benefits of graphics that can be processed at this level: • Fluent Processing Of Highly Accessible Information • Feelings of Familiarity • Approach Behavior Key Question: Given the question and the broader communication context, is your graphic “message” intuitive?“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 8. Tell a Story • Integrate information presented • Create a more concrete and familiar context • Lead to increased fluency/ease of processing the information • Create relevant emotions/affect • Help link to existing knowledge Make your message more memorable and likely to impact behavior“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 9. Design Principles
  • 10. Data-Ink Ratio
  • 11. 2D vs. 3D
  • 12. Why is 3D “harder”?“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 13. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 14. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 15. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 16. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 17. Accessibility
  • 18. UsingColor
  • 19. Application
  • 20. Redesigned credit: www.perpetualedge.com
  • 21. CreditsCognitive psychology elements from a Dan Young(Corporate CMK) presentation titled “Human BasedVisual Communication” presented at the 2011Statistics Symposium.Books written by Edward Tufte and Stephen FewStephen Few’s site: perceptualedge.comhttp://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069

×