Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Bringing Data to Life - Making Charts That Don't Suck

247

Published on

A training I developed at P&G on how to bring data to life. Stop making ugly charts and start using data powerfully to impact your organization.

A training I developed at P&G on how to bring data to life. Stop making ugly charts and start using data powerfully to impact your organization.

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
247
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Bringing Data to Life aka Making Charts That Don’t Suck Dan Sweet April 2014
  • 2. Agenda • The Challenge • The Power of Design • Ways People are Weird • Data Visualization Design Principles • Data Visualization @ P&G • Tools Available • Case Studies • Extreme Graph Makeover
  • 3. Design is powerful Apple has outperformed P&G by 5000%
  • 4. Workplace Challenges • Communication • Influence without positional power • Effectively and persuasively share analysis However, the bulk of the people we work with are human. Humans are emotional creatures of habit and don’t always listen to reason.
  • 5. Role of Finance • Rational objective analysis • Accurate • Impartial • Dispassionate ASSUMPTION: Objective Reality Exists Does it?
  • 6. Deciding on having surgery… 90% chance of survival 10% chance of death Will you have the surgery?
  • 7. Problem with humans • Action preferred over accuracy • Ambiguity is inherent in life • Ambiguity ≈ Risk • Risk  Negative Emotions • Motivation: Pursuing Gains or Avoiding Losses • Avoiding Losses > Pursuing Gains Result is a tendency to make decisions on feelings instead of knowledge “Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 8. Much Information Processing is: •Holistic •Low Involvement •Habitual •Affect/Emotion Driven •Driven by past experiences “Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 9. Brain has 2 “Modes” of Operation System 1: Fast Intuitive Emotional System 2: Slower More deliberative More logical
  • 10. Cognitive Ease 3 x 2 6 x 5 10 x 10
  • 11. Cognitive Strain 17 x 13 46 x 18 137 x 14
  • 12. Brain has 2 “Modes” of Operation System 1: Fast Intuitive Emotional System 2: Slower More deliberative More logical
  • 13. Low Involvement Logic Benefits of graphics that can be processed at this level: • Fluent Processing Of Highly Accessible Information • Feelings of Familiarity • Approach Behavior Key Question: Given the question and the broader communication context, is your graphic “message” intuitive? “Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 14. Tell a Story • Integrate information presented • Create a more concrete and familiar context • Lead to increased fluency/ease of processing the information • Create relevant emotions/affect • Help link to existing knowledge Make your message more memorable and likely to impact behavior “Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 15. Design Principles
  • 16. Data-Ink Ratio
  • 17. Useful Pie Charts
  • 18. Sorted Barplots > Pie Charts
  • 19. 2D vs. 3D
  • 20. Why is 3D “harder”? “Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
  • 21. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 22. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 23. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 24. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
  • 25. Accessibility
  • 26. Using Color
  • 27. Application
  • 28. Redesigned credit: www.perpetualedge.com
  • 29. Review: Design Principles / Weird People • People are odd – make it easy for them • Maximize data/ink ratio – clean design • If using color, make it meaningful • Consider avoiding red/green – accessibility • Highlight what is important – bold, italics, size, shape, line type, etc. • Avoid pie charts • Avoid 3D
  • 30. Business Sphere
  • 31. Data Visualization Tools • Excel • PowerPoint • Spotfire • Tableau • JMP • R with ggplot2
  • 32. This is the part where I delete 25 slides of P&G-specific case studies and before and after examples.
  • 33. Extreme Graph Makeover This is fun IRL, but the competition and anonymous group critique where we all apply our new found skills and then tear apart each other’s work doesn’t translate to Slideshare – sorry.
  • 34. Hans Rosling – GapMinder http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=jbkSRLYSojo#t=0m29s
  • 35. Credits Cognitive psychology elements from a Dan Young (Corporate CMK) presentation titled “Human Based Visual Communication” presented at the 2011 Statistics Symposium. Books written by Edward Tufte and Stephen Few Stephen Few’s site: perceptualedge.com http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data- visualization-5724069

×