• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Mobile Marketing Campaign Optimization
 

Mobile Marketing Campaign Optimization

on

  • 3,168 views

The mobile revolution is changing the face of online marketing. What does it take to be successful as a mobile publisher and what are the keys to a successful mobile marketing campaign? ...

The mobile revolution is changing the face of online marketing. What does it take to be successful as a mobile publisher and what are the keys to a successful mobile marketing campaign?

Experience level: Intermediate
Target audience: Affiliates/Publishers, Merchants/Advertisers
Niche/vertical: Mobile Publishing

Gregg Stewart, VP, New Media Platforms, Neverblue

Statistics

Views

Total Views
3,168
Views on SlideShare
3,167
Embed Views
1

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
128
Comments
0

1 Embed 1

http://us-w1.rockmelt.com 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • IntroductionSelfCompanyRole: VP of New Media Platforms, responsible for Neverblue Mobile business unit and internal media buying teamIntroduction to PresentationTarget audience is beginner and intermediate level mobile media buyersFocus is performance marketing (CPA) and not brand marketing (CPM)Focus is on mobile web and app display media buying and will not cover mobile search or SMS marketingBased on experience of Neverblue Mobile media buying team – serving 3B+ impressions per month (mobile web + apps), variety of verticals, geographies, traffic sourcesAudience ProfilingKnowledge/Currency of MobileQ: Follow mobile trends and industry news on mobile basis?Q: Consider themselves on the leading edge of mobile adoption? Lagging? In the middle?Area of ActivityQ: How many affiliates/publishers?Q: How many advertiser?Q: How many agency?Experience with Mobile Media BuyingQ: How many currently active in mobile media buying?Q: Of those, how many consider themselves beginner ::: intermediate ::: advanced?
  • “Jumping right in …”
  • “Jumping right in …”
  • This is the classic “Mary Meeker Mobile Slide” – illustrates the explosive growth of mobile device use across the globe.- There are 10B+ mobile devices world-wide today, most of these are used by humans Actual mobile device growth has significantly exceeded the projections of most industry analysts, even those made in the past 6-12 monthsThere are over 6K different mobile device types – hence massive fragmentation in terms of capabilities, lack of standardization that has now been achieved on the desktop and with browsers.- This lack of standardization has a massive impact on mobile media marketing and media buying todaySmart phone growth is exploding though at different rates in different parts of the world and there will be 1B+ smart phone users by 2013Smart phone ubiquity will eliminate much of the arcane complexities of mobile marketing and media buying that exist todayIdentifying and dealing with the mobile-specific elements of mobile marketing and media buying is the primary objective of today’s presentation
  • Mobile is not a fad, it’s a mega-trend.Mobile is not a device, it’s the connective tissue of new emerging geo-social fabric.The pace of mobilization is accelerating beyond almost all predictionsMore people in the world own cell phones than have access to a toilet !Source: http://water.org/learn-about-the-water-crisis/facts/
  • Mobilization represents perhaps the most massive migration of human awareness and consumer “eyeballs” in history.Predictably, “money follows consumer attention” and global mobile advertising spending is exploding.Global mobile advertising budgets in 2015 are predicted to be $10B, I wouldn’t be surprised if this consensus estimate turns out to be conservative.
  • Advertisers are going mobile for a variety of reasons.Advertiser FUD (Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt) is slowing down the overall pace of mobile onboarding.80%+ of major online advertisers do not have a mobile website. Source: Google Research 2010Lead generation is the top advertiser mobile campaign goal, beating out brand campaigns.-> Mobile lead generation represents billions of dollars in advertising spend over the next few years.
  • The main body of the presentation will cover:Offer Sourcing and SelectionTraffic Sourcing and Audience TargetingCampaign DesignCampaign Deployment
  • As you all know, the art of marketing brings the Offer to the target Audience with an Angle that engages the consumer and inspires engagement and action.
  • In order to structure the information in this presentation, I want to use a basic model that breaks down campaign optimization into four phases:Offer sourcing and selectionTraffic sourcing and audience targetingCampaign designCampaign deployment (iterative process!)All the fundamentals of online performance marketing apply to mobile display campaign optimization.
  • TargetingDemographicGeographicBehavioralMedia Channel(s)DisplaySearchSocialEmailTraffic SourcesProprietaryThird-Party
  • Mobile marketing enables new capabilities and technologies but also comes with important limitations and introduces new complexities.The heart of this presentation will focus on these new capabilities, limitations and complexities – how to take advantage of the capabilities and deal with the limitations and complexities.
  • Attention spans are short and fragmentedAverage viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per vistit < 2Average viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per visit < 2For users with mobile viewing problems:Likelihood of return visit <40%Likelihood of visit to competitor’s site = 40%80% of large online advertisers do not have a mobile websiteSource: http://www.welcomebrand.co.uk/blog/2011/04/15/mobile-specific-landing-pages-good-or-bad/ and Google Research, 2010
  • Attention spans are short and fragmentedAverage viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per vistit < 2Average viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per visit < 2For users with mobile viewing problems:Likelihood of return visit <40%Likelihood of visit to competitor’s site = 40%80% of large online advertisers do not have a mobile websiteSource: http://www.welcomebrand.co.uk/blog/2011/04/15/mobile-specific-landing-pages-good-or-bad/ and Google Research, 2010
  • Attention spans are short and fragmentedAverage viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per vistit < 2Average viewing time per site = 1 minuteHome page bounce rate = 60%Page views per visit < 2For users with mobile viewing problems:Likelihood of return visit <40%Likelihood of visit to competitor’s site = 40%80% of large online advertisers do not have a mobile websiteSource: http://www.welcomebrand.co.uk/blog/2011/04/15/mobile-specific-landing-pages-good-or-bad/ and Google Research, 2010
  • Neverblue Mobile - Wide range of verticals including US and internationals offersSpnsormob - Strong for European offersAffilimob - General selection of US and international offersOffermobi - Primarily smaller lead gen campaigns, mostly US offersMobpartner - Strong with international offers, and only that has some CPI offer active
  • Post-click Campaign Action MixOther = includes PIN submit, click to iTunes
  • Short messages are used to provide premium rate services to subscribers of a telephone network-one of the first types of mobile content, before apps & mobile web became big-the first big money maker in mobile advertising-still around today as strong as ever despite tough regulations
  • 2-field example vs. many-field exampleShort form 3 or 4 fields unless you make it fun (try to figure out how to make those fields worth more) services that will validate e-mails, gather information around the leads that you’ve received so you weed out the crappy ones and don’t waste advertisers time and money, and get higher CPA for good ones.
  • Click to Call-Click to call wary on display as you get the “Oh Crap” factor dubbed as people not realizing their phone is going to ring. (sitting in a meeting under the desk and then whammo), taxi service searchBetter off giving more info to your user and allowing them to callAnother approach is to have the user enter in their number and call backBenefits are: ability to pre-qualify, collect information to re-engage, avoid the “Oh Crap” factorSplit test
  • Use Email Bridging for Progressive Conversion or Re-marketingE-mail Bridging- e- mail lists like groupon collecting e-mails
  • Direct to Carrier Billing- Android Central & SprintBoku
  • Mobile WalletsPayPal MobileGoogle WalletAmazon Payments
  • Need more examples !!!Wave and PayOrange/Samsung NFC Wallet (UK)Starbucks App (US)
  • Will not be discussing SMS campaigns
  • Tier 1: Millennial Media75 percent potential reach of U.S. mobile - Over 12 billion monthly impressions globallyCPC (performance) v CPM (brand): 30:70No self service AdmobStrong reach both US and international - USA (49%), India (5.9%), UK (4.1%), Indonesia (3.9%), Canada (2.4%), others (34.7%)AdMob serves more than 10 billion impressions per month.Self service platform. JumptapStrong reach both US and growing international inventory. Network reaches 63 million unique users.Self service platform.  Tier 2: AdfonicUK based, good european inventory but also has a decent amount of some US Mojivagood european inventory but also has a decent amount of some US.Network reaches 78 million in US and 319 million globally. InMobiGood reach in middle east, india and south-east asia  Specialty: MADhouse - Specialization: largest Chinese mobile ad network - reaches over 75% of China’s total mobile Internet traffic BuzzCitySpecialization: Reaches 200 countries in total, with top countries being Indonesia (24%), India (24%), USA (6%) MadvertiseSpecialization: Europe, particularly strong in German-speaking countries.Mobile Traffic SourcesTier 1:AdMob –Owned by Google. Difficulty getting dating/subscription offers approved.Jumptap –self serve platform, 2ndlargest traffic source. Tier 2:AdFonic –mainly app traffic (smart phones) in US & UK.inMobi –55% AsiaMojiva -WorldwideBuzzcity –India and IndonisiaMillenial –Full serve, 85% US. Mostly CPM.Other Traffic Sources.Madvertise (DE)Hunts Mobile Ads (Latin and Hispanic US)Greystripe (100% app traffic)Madhouse (China)Useful link: mobiThinking Guide to Mobile Advertising Networkshttp://mobithinking.com/mobile-ad-network-guideTwitter – a lot of traffic that is through the twitter self serve places is mobileDirect Buys – sites like Mocospace &Facebook – not available yet but keep an eye because this will be huuuuugeAccording to IDC DisplayGoogle = AdMob – Self Serve platformApple = iAds – unless you have $1 million to drop and you’re on Madison Avenue not getting inMillenial – work with you to make it happenYahoo – bit more strict on what gets let onMS – same as yahooJumptap – self serve/help- don’t already suggest setting up accounts at all these different places and get a working relationship with someone if you can
  • What about Google and Yahoo Mobile Display Networks ? Millennial MediaMillenial –Full serve, 85% US. Mostly CPM.75 percent potential reach of U.S. mobile - Over 12 billion monthly impressions globallyCPC (performance) v CPM (brand): 30:70No self serviceMillenial – work with you to make it happen AdmobAdMob –Owned by Google. Difficulty getting dating/subscription offers approved.Strong reach both US and international - USA (49%), India (5.9%), UK (4.1%), Indonesia (3.9%), Canada (2.4%), others (34.7%)AdMob serves more than 10 billion impressions per month.Self service platform. JumptapJumptap –self serve platform, 2ndlargest traffic source. Strong reach both US and growing international inventory. Network reaches 63 million unique users.Self service platform.  AdfonicAdFonic –mainly app traffic (smart phones) in US & UK.UK based, good european inventory but also has a decent amount of some US MojivaMojiva -Worldwidegood european inventory but also has a decent amount of some US.Network reaches 78 million in US and 319 million globally. InMobiinMobi –55% AsiaGood reach in middle east, india and south-east asia MADhouse - Specialization: largest Chinese mobile ad network - reaches over 75% of China’s total mobile Internet traffic BuzzCityBuzzcity –India and IndonisiaSpecialization: Reaches 200 countries in total, with top countries being Indonesia (24%), India (24%), USA (6%) MadvertiseSpecialization: Europe, particularly strong in German-speaking countries.Other Traffic Sources.Hunts Mobile Ads (Latin and Hispanic US)Greystripe (100% app traffic)Yahoo – bit more strict on what gets let onMS – same as yahoodon’t already suggest setting up accounts at all these different places and get a working relationship with someone if you canIDG Ventures India has invested$3 million in Vserv, which operates a mobile in-app advertising network in India. The company has developed an “App Ad-Wrapper” solution for J2ME Apps and is now extending this solution to Android apps.
  • DisplaySearchDirect
  • April InsightsTargeted-Audience campaigns (Local Market Audience,Demographic Audience, Behavioral Audience andAudience Takeover) represented 42% of the CampaignTargeting Mix in May (Chart A).Campaigns leveraging Broad Reach targeting methods(Run of Network, Custom Subnet and Channel)accounted for 58% of the Campaign Targeting Mix (ChartA). Brands across multiple verticals, including Telecom,Digital Music & Gaming and Dating leveraged BroadReach Targeting methods during May to increaseawareness of their services and try to generate new leads.Behavioral Audience as a targeting method grew 20%month-over-month and represented 12% of the TargetedAudience Mix in May (Chart B). Retail and Pharmaceuticaladvertisers targeted Moms with a variety of productmessages since they make purchases for the entirehousehold. Travel and Telecom advertisers targeted theBusiness Traveler segment with products and services to make life on the road more convenient.
  • What are the issues with location targeting in mobile ???How can I target certain demographics?Targeting certain demographics with mobile traffic can be quite tricky. Some traffic sources do offer demographic targeting, but as soon as it is applied, click costs can skyrocket by more than 100%. What we recommend you do to target demographics is to target certain devices. Different combinations of creatives in combination with handset and carrier targeting can achieve your desired demographic targeting.Should I target WiFitraffic?You can usually buy WiFi traffic at just pennies per click, but there is a reason for that. With all of the testing we have done, conversions are usually less abundant with WiFi due to the fact that users are usually a youth audience on devices that do not have mobile phone capabilities (for example, tablets or iPod touch). We typically recommend turning it off.
  • Mobile behavioral/demo targeting is currently behind the curve compared to webHowever, the many different targeting parameters provide a foundation to quickly zero in on the desired userCombination of all types of targeting will essentially give you behavioral targetingThis knowledge may be transferable to other offers, traffic sources, etc.
  • Things to consider:-Pre-paid vs contract-Top Tier (Verizon) vs Low Tier (Nextel)-Types of handsets (AT&T & Tmobile with iPhone)-Carriers that target race/gender/socio economic statusCase Study: LG Chocolate / Virgin Wireless vs. Blackberry Curve (teeny-bopper vs. business man)
  • - Not just Smart phones and WAP/feature phones anymore…Different Platforms (iOS,Andorid, WebOs, Windows, Symbian, etc…)Screen resolutions, markup language, capabilitesSo many different ways to categorizetablets high-end smart phonesmid-range smart phones and feature phoneslow-end deviceslegacy DevicesAlso something to note: Different carriers re-brand devices (marketing names)
  • Site/Publisher & Channel TargetingThey don’t tell you that you can target or filter site id’s(Need a rep or client services to do this, need to ask for this, can’t always manually do it)Channel targeting: bundles sites and publishers together into categories/channels/demographic clusterYou can do this from the front end – this is the default offering, deemed sufficient for the massesMost traffic sources support site targeting: Admob, JumpTap, Adfonic …
  • Mobile Publishing Tools- Google Sites now offers a customizable mobile template- ThemeForest is starting to build out a mobile Wordpress category http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/mobile- New jQuery mobile - Create cross-device websites in minutes (still in beta, but promising. Not sure on WAP support)- Responsive web development using CSS3 media queries - example CSS3 framework http://lessframework.com/- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mobile-pack/ Paid Solutions- Quite a few but here are some examples.  They have free options to entice you.http://bmobilized.comhttp://www.webs.com/
  • TestPosition of call-to-action buttons and associated textAll copyAds with and without imagesDifferent images $ off vs. % off
  • Mobile display marketing requires a structured and analytic approachTrackMobile display marketing is probably the hardest type of media buying out there can’t stress enough how important it is to TRACK everything so many variables in targetting (OS, carrier, device model, country, placement, etc) so, for example, how do you target a new mother in the United States? Make relationships some places you can target these and you can break them out by adding parameters to your linkAnalyticsInvest in useragent analytics that track back to conversionsSegway at the end of the day it’s still media buying and CTR and creative play a huge part
  • TrackMobile display marketing is probably the hardest type of media buying out there can’t stress enough how important it is to TRACK everything so many variables in targetting (OS, carrier, device model, country, placement, etc) so, for example, how do you target a new mother in the United States? Make relationships some places you can target these and you can break them out by adding parameters to your linkAnalyticsInvest in useragent analytics that track back to conversionsSegway at the end of the day it’s still media buying and CTR and creative play a huge part
  • Excel pivot tables !!!
  • In this example we go through a real world case of optimizing a campaign using advanced techniques that are unique to the mobile affiliate marketing space. These screenshots are based on a ringtone campaign from a media buyer using a Neveblue Mobile offer on a campaign set up in the mobile ad network Admob. Screen 1Viewing a simple report you can see that the affiliate generated $2,236.30 over the selected time per
  • Screen 2Although the bad news is he spent $3,696.16 on Admob buying the traffic for that campaign. A sizeable loss, it would appear – However, with the depth of data involved in mobile campaign this affiliate can now use these learnings/data, to identify profitable areas of this campaign, even though overall it appears to be a losing one.
  • Screen 3In neverblue mobile advanced reporting you can see in-depth details on every click and conversion across many mobile-specific metrics. Such as: device/handset, operating system, carrier, and even as detailed as the mobile screen resolution that the offer page was rendered on. In this example we will be optimizing based on what devices the end user was using.
  • Screen 4 – Screen 5Here you see a long list of every device, how many conversions happened on each and the device’s effective EPC – As you can see there is a significant range of EPCs over different devices. Some are $0.05 while others over $1.00. By identifying all the good devices on this results table you can select all the devices that are consistently producing EPC’s over, say, $0.50, copy the names, then go back to you campaign set up where you were buying you traffic and target only these devices.
  • Screen 4 – Screen 5Here you see a long list of every device, how many conversions happened on each and the device’s effective EPC – As you can see there is a significant range of EPCs over different devices. Some are $0.05 while others over $1.00. By identifying all the good devices on this results table you can select all the devices that are consistently producing EPC’s over, say, $0.50, copy the names, then go back to you campaign set up where you were buying you traffic and target only these devices.
  • Screen 6Here is Admob’s campaign set up screen where you can drill you campaign targeting down to specific handsets. Remember that your ads are now only showing on devices that have produced high EPCs for this offer, so it’s a good idea to also go raise up your bids to get more volume on your ads. After running this “optimized” campaign for a few days, let’s take a look at the performance back in Neverblue reporting.
  • Screen 7Now we are only targeting devices that have been proven to work for this particular offer. As you can see there are dozens of devices (in the viewable area) with exceptionally high EPCs. You can see here (bottom-most row) that the LG P-509 generating 56 leads on only 466 clicks for a EPC of $1.14! Definitely a winner! Not bad considering average CPC on mobile are around $0.10 - $0.15.And this is only an example of optimizing based on 1 criteria (device), you will notice similar ranges of performance based on platform/OS, carrier, and Site or Publisher IDs, all of which allow you to target and optimize even further for hyper profitable mobile campaigns. [ [concluding remarks]

Mobile Marketing Campaign Optimization Mobile Marketing Campaign Optimization Presentation Transcript