The Spirit of St. Barnabas
1901 - 2014
The Beginning
1890’s – Rev. W.H. Knowlton
baptizes a number of adults and
children in the Arroyo Grande
valley
The Beginning
First Service – Evening Prayer
service Easter Sunday in 1901
held in the Masonic Hall over
Cook’s Hardware s...
The Beginning

The Baptism of
Bernice Phoenix Canning
and
Dorothy Phoenix Phelan

The Phoenix twins were
baptized
Septembe...
The Beginning

First Church: on the corner of
Poole and Mason
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Total cost: $689)

First Service: January...
The Beginning
Now
Now
The Beginning
Now

St. Francis Mission Chapel and Hall
Corner of 17th and Beach, Oceano
In Between

1949-First resident Vicar, Rev. Robert Darwall
In Between

Vicarage – 1149 Maple St., Arroyo Grande
In Between

1950 –Army chapel moved from Camp San
Luis to 100 Barnett St.
In Between

Second Church:
100 Barnett St.
Arroyo Grande, CA
First service held Dec. 10, 1950
In Between
In Between
In Between
January, 1974, Fr. Dan McHugh leads parishioners to gather and sell
clothes for a small fee from the church bas...
In Between

114 Briscoe Road
In Between
Now
Now
Now
Now

Third Church: 301 Trinity Ave., Arroyo Grande, CA
First Service: Dec. 9, 1990,
Now
Now
TIMELINE
 First Service –
Easter Sunday
1901
 St. Barnabas
given mission
status Sept. 1,
1901
 First church built
by Ja...
TIMELINE

 Thrift Shop started
in 1974

1970

 First service in new
church Dec. 9, 1990

1980

 Ground breaking
for pre...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

The spirit of st barnabas

504 views
420 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
504
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
289
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • 4 Phoenix girls…Bernice and Dorothy, Thelma and Margaret (Harloe)
  • The spirit of st barnabas

    1. 1. The Spirit of St. Barnabas 1901 - 2014
    2. 2. The Beginning 1890’s – Rev. W.H. Knowlton baptizes a number of adults and children in the Arroyo Grande valley
    3. 3. The Beginning First Service – Evening Prayer service Easter Sunday in 1901 held in the Masonic Hall over Cook’s Hardware store.
    4. 4. The Beginning The Baptism of Bernice Phoenix Canning and Dorothy Phoenix Phelan The Phoenix twins were baptized September 1, 1901 at the celebration of St. Barnabas' becoming a mission.
    5. 5. The Beginning First Church: on the corner of Poole and Mason Arroyo Grande, CA (Total cost: $689) First Service: January 19, 1902
    6. 6. The Beginning
    7. 7. Now
    8. 8. Now
    9. 9. The Beginning
    10. 10. Now St. Francis Mission Chapel and Hall Corner of 17th and Beach, Oceano
    11. 11. In Between 1949-First resident Vicar, Rev. Robert Darwall
    12. 12. In Between Vicarage – 1149 Maple St., Arroyo Grande
    13. 13. In Between 1950 –Army chapel moved from Camp San Luis to 100 Barnett St.
    14. 14. In Between Second Church: 100 Barnett St. Arroyo Grande, CA First service held Dec. 10, 1950
    15. 15. In Between
    16. 16. In Between
    17. 17. In Between January, 1974, Fr. Dan McHugh leads parishioners to gather and sell clothes for a small fee from the church basement.
    18. 18. In Between 114 Briscoe Road
    19. 19. In Between
    20. 20. Now
    21. 21. Now
    22. 22. Now
    23. 23. Now Third Church: 301 Trinity Ave., Arroyo Grande, CA First Service: Dec. 9, 1990,
    24. 24. Now
    25. 25. Now
    26. 26. TIMELINE  First Service – Easter Sunday 1901  St. Barnabas given mission status Sept. 1, 1901  First church built by Jan. 1902 1900  Neighboring clergy and lay readers 1910  Neighboring clergy and lay readers 1920 1930  Neighboring clergy and lay readers  Neighboring clergy and lay readers 1940 1950  1949-Robert Darwall  1950 Army chapel moved from Camp San Luis  First service in new church Dec. 10, 1950 1960
    27. 27. TIMELINE  Thrift Shop started in 1974 1970  First service in new church Dec. 9, 1990 1980  Ground breaking for present church 1989 1990 2000  2001 – St. Barnabas Centennial Celebration 2010 2020 2030

    ×