Design as a means of balancing all these dimensions
Collective blogging as an example of pedagogical designEmbedding digital literacies in a Reflective Practice moduleAuthentic task and assessmentThe self and the community
1. EDUCATORS’ DIGITAL LITERACIES:THE ROLE OF PEDAGOGICAL DESIGNIN INNOVATIONF. Dujardin, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
2. Designing for multiple contexts Knowledge • Digital literacies society • Networked self Higher • Standards Education • Relevance MA professional • Quality in teaching communication • Innovation
3. Pedagogical design – Collective blogging as casestudy
4. Outline Three key concepts:  Blogging  Metaphorof learning  Academic literacies „New‟ methodological approach – ethnographic action research Discussion points  Widening the communicative ecology  Planning socio-cultural animation  Implication for educators‟ digital literacies
5. Why focus on blogging?Paradigmatic technologyKnowledgesharing toolPersonal orcollective?
6. Powerful metaphors‘Diary’ ‘Participation’ personal space  blog as „open‟ space privacy  public difficult to share and  community to assess  “active sociality” (Lankshear and Knobel 2006)  assessment?Trialogical approach to ‘knowledge creation’ – self, community,outputs
7. „Academic literacies‟ Part of the New Literacies movement  lookingbeyond established literacies  power relations and expectations Self-awareness – educators as “recontextualisation agents” (Coleman 2012) in the use of ICT  „authentic‟ use of ICT or normalisation?  enculturation into a dominant order of high tech and global capitalism (Tusting 2008) or encouraging critical confidence (Goodfellow and Lea 2007) ?
8. Ethnographic action research Communicati ve ecology Reflexivity Socio- cultural animation Social mapping
9. Widening the communicativeecology1. Routine stage – using the VLE and observing students‟ reactions2. Refinement stage – introducing blogs within the VLE3. Integration stage – using a private collective blog set up in WordPress, while keeping the VLE for module information and submissions
10. Socio-cultural animation  Scaffolding „new‟ practices in knowledge creation  enablingmature learners to become „digital residents‟  managing understandings of educational practices  Authentic use of blog for meaning-making  Mediating more than disciplinary knowlege
11. Conclusion: new roles foreducators Catalyst Curator Mediator