1. Mark was grounded because he wasn’t on green at school.Effect Cause
2. A cause is what makes something happens. To findthe cause, you need to ask yourself , “Whathappened first?”.An effect is what happens because of somethingelse (the cause). To find the effect, you need to askyourself, “What happened second?”.The boy was grounded because he wasn’t on green at school.What happenedfirst? The boy wasn’ton green at school.(This is the cause)What happenedsecond? The boywas grounded. (Thisis the effect)
3. There are signal words that will help you toidentify the two parts of a cause/effectrelationship. The most common signal wordsare: because, if, when, so, then.Mark was grounded because he wasn’t on green at school.In the sentence above, the word becausesignals a cause-effect relationship.
4. Now, let’s try to identify some cause-effectrelationships. In the following sentences, clickon either the cause or the effect. Remember,the cause is the first part of a cause-effectrelationship and the effect is the second part.Click the cause in the following sentence.It got dark because the sun went down.
5. You Got It!
6. Try Again!
7. My sister was scared of the mouse, so she yelled for help.Click on the cause in the sentence below.
8. You Got It!
9. Try Again!
10. Click the cause in the sentence below.The dog dug a hole so he could bury his bone.
11. You Got It!
12. Try Again!
13. Click the cause in the sentence below.Mark was tired, so he fell asleep in class.
14. You Got It!
15. Try Again!
16. If you study hard, you will pass the test.Click the cause in the sentence below.
17. You Got It!
18. Try Again!
19. Click the effect in the sentence below.When the light said, “Walk,” the man crossed the street.
20. You Got It!
21. Try Again!
22. Click the effect in the sentence below.The boy was surprised when the rocker began to move.
23. You Got It!
24. Try Again!
25. Click the effect in the sentence below.My mom was hot, so she turned on the fan.
26. You Got It!
27. Try Again!
28. Click the effect in the sentence below.The player was angry so he jumped on the referee.
29. You Got It!
30. Try Again!
31. Click the effect in the sentence below.When the wolf left, the pig popped his head out of the can.
32. You Got It!
33. Try Again!
34. Congratulations!!!!!!! Youare now a Cause/EffectExpert!!!!!