Community Practices: From Forums to Social Networks
From Forums to Social Networks
Web 2.0 EXPO, Berlin
November 6th 2007
What is Sixt ‐ an overview?
• market leader on the German, the Austrian and
the Swiss Rent a Car market.
• represented in more than 80 countries with a
fleet of over 120.00 cars.
• one of Europe‘s leading car leasing providers with
over 50.000 cars under its fleetmanagement
• 2100 employess
e‐commerce @ Sixt
• 30 % of revenue generated over the
• 5000 transaction a day.
• 3 milion UV/ month
• 12 mio. PI / month
Web 2.0 @ Sixt
• Sixt has a strong Web 2.0 focus:
Corporate Blogs across the corporation
Corporate intranet replaced by a community with a Enterprise WIKI
major applications are built with various AJAX technologies
• August 2007: Foundation of Sixt e‐ventures, a spin‐off company that is
focused on the financing and support of Web 2.0 platform and start‐
• First project launched in September 2007: carmondo.de –an auto‐
community for car enthusiasts and for the gathering of „auto‐
• Second project, a finance community, will launch in January 2008
What is carmondo.de?
Germans are passionate about
The car‐market gets more
cars and have a great
and more complex.
knowledge about them
Carmondo’s mission is to bring transparency to the
market by collecting the knowledge of the community
and by offering a massive database of car-related data.
SO why does a car rental company launch a
• as active participators of carmondo,
we also want to learn and gather
knowledge from the community
•an efficient way of market research
•carmondo is a great way to
experiment and to better understand
our clients and the way Web 2.0