Photo: Helico, http://flic.kr/p/CMopX What is andragogy? Malcolm Knowles an American educator defined andragogy as: „..the art and science of helping adults learn.‟Photo: Dunechaser, http://flic.kr/p/SaTg9
Principles of adult learning 1.The need to know 2.Learner’s self-concept 3.Role of the learner’s experience 4.Readiness to learn 5.Orientation to learning 6.MotivationPhoto: geoftheref, http://flic.kr/p/oLMak
How do adult people learn? 1.What do your learners need to know? 2.How well do they know themselves? 3.What do they already know from experience? 4.What do they want next? 5.How is the learning connected to their lives? 6.What motivates your learners?
1. Need to know Adults want their learning to: • meet their needs • be relevant • help them achieve their goals.Photo: Carlos62, http://flic.kr/p/xoKBT
2. “Self-concept”Adult learners: are self-motivated and self-directed are independent like to find their own way can make their own decisions want to manage their own learning. Photo: minifig, http://flic.kr/p/zcYeK
3. Role of experience Adult learners: • have diverse experience and knowledge • may have ingrained ideas about things • apply their life experience and knowledge to new learning • use their problem-solving, reflecting and reasoning skills. Photo: yewenyi, http://flic.kr/p/cAQEr
4. Readiness to learn Adult learners: • are goal focused • want timely and meaningful learning experiences • need clear learning goals. Photo: ΞSSΞ®®Ξ, http://flic.kr/p/btHZ5u
How is the learning connected to their lives?How can you make the connection more real?
5. Orientation to learning Adult learners: are practical – their learning should apply to their lives, job, etc. want to be involved in planning their learning focus on the aspects that are most useful to them. Photo: ntr23, http://flic.kr/p/85eRne
6. Motivation For adult learners, the best motivators are: • Internal, for example: » increased job satisfaction » heightened self-esteem » better quality of life • personal growth and development. Photo: Erica Marshall, http://flic.kr/p/5p1oZw
What can you do to help people learn? Photo: YoungEinstein, http://flic.kr/p/7xLFt
How to help adults learn • Encourage active participation • Offer meaningful, relevant and holistic learning • Ensure multi-sensory learning (using the 5 senses) • Give learners time to practice and reflect on learning • Give regular and useful feedback • Motivate further learning with recognition and rewards