Presented By Babs Rangaiah, VP Global Comms Planning (twitter: babs26) To: Adtech Sydney March, 2010
What would life be like without the internet?
So What is Unilever Doing About It?
“ Live the Space”
AND REFRAME OUR THINKING
AXE MOBILE: REFRAMES MOBILE
PENETRATE THE CULTURE BE PART OF OUR WORLD GIVE US A VOICE BE AUTHENTIC DOING GOOD CREATE MORE VALUE LISTEN TO US DON’T BE SO CORPORATE KEEP IT SIMPLE TELLING OUR FRIENDS UNILEVER MEDIA MANIFESTO: FROM THE PEOPLE
1. “BE PART OF OUR WORLD” “ We spend more and more of our time on the web and rarely see you. How can you be part of our world if you’re never with us? We’re not looking for you…” Digital Media Consumption vs. Digital Media Spend (Australia)
4.16 B Subscriptions & penetration by region - End Q1, 2009 Latin America 480 M North America 296 M Western Europe 503 M Middle East 167 M Asia Pacific 1.77 B Central & Eastern Europe 532 M Africa 405 M MOBILE LANDSCAPE 61% Global As reported by operators. The subscription number the operators announce in e.g. quarterly and annual reports. In most cases this figure is equivalent to the operators' registered subscriptions. Source: Estimates based on Informa Telecoms & Media “ We don’t just live in Australia”
2. “PENETRATE OUR CULTURE” “ We’re immune to your tired “campaigns” and our eyes glaze over them…please spark our imagination with something interesting, meaningful and useful…for a change”
2. “PENETRATE OUR CULTURE”
2. “PENETRATE OUR CULTURE”
3. “GIVE US A VOICE & A ROLE” “ We’ve got ideas about brands too…provide us with some tools, and the opportunities...and we’ll make brands even better.”
4. “BE AUTHENTIC” “ Brands can communicate with us directly now…but if you’re too contrived or fail to deliver on your promises for that matter…we’ll laugh at you and then abuse you relentlessly”
5. “LISTEN TO US” “ We want you to take the 6 billion of us as seriously as you take one analyst or one reporter from the Financial Times”.
6. “CREATE MORE VALUE” “ You want us to pay? We want you to pay attention….” 3.5MM Downloads!
7. “DON’T BE SO CORPORATE “ Speak to us in our language...then maybe we’d go to you instead of each other for answers.”
8. “KEEP IT SIMPLE” “ Why do you over complicate everything? Make things easier for us”
9. “TELLING FRIENDS” “ We’d tell each other how great you are if you give us something to talk about…but if you do something to make us mad..we’ll tell a lot more peeps…”
10. “DO GOOD” “ If you want us to become your advocate, you have to understand our needs, share our interests, be an active participant and show you care”…
THE SIZE OF THE PRIZE
“ Australia's web users are at the forefront of the social networking craze, posting, poking and Twittering nearly seven hours a month more than in the United States, Britain or Japan” “ 80 per cent of Australians now have access to high-speed broadband and use the internet…more than the United States”.