Digital Distribution Strategies:
How to Drive Incremental Revenue
through Syndication and Licensing
Ben Weinberger, CEO, Digitalsmiths
Adam Cahan, CEO, Auditude
Ed Kim, CEO, Red Bricks Media
Mike Maser, Chief Revenue and Strategy Ofﬁcer, Digg
Andrew Snyder, Chief Revenue Ofﬁcer, Associated Content
• Audiences are fragmenting across the
• More people watch TV online
than on their DVR’s
• To make $$ from online video you need
Social Media Distribution
• Find your ʻinﬂuencersʼ - Digg, Facebook and
Twitter have 250MM of them
• Create great content – borrow a social graph
• Focus on what works – your data will guide
• One social action = (pass-along)10
telegraph.co.uk case study
Telegraph Case Study
Source: Telegraph Internal WebTrends
5.5 million page views from Digg
Smart Digg Button added
583k page views from Digg
Driving Trafﬁc: Integrated
Integrated Traffic Drivers
Send to a Friend
Major Magazine Publisher can
unlock $10+ Million in additional
Email Sponsorship: Sell display ads on a CPM
Keyword Sponsorship: Match advertiserʼs
messages with email copy keywords
Email List Rental: Rent out email lists to highly
qualiﬁed sponsors for a premium CPM
Behavioral Data Sales: Sell key data (and
other) to behavioral targeting companies and
select 3rd parties
Lead Generation: Sell highly targeted leads to
advertisers seeking niche consumer segments
1. Move Networks acquires Inuk- IPTV.
2. Vevo announcement- UMG's partnership with Google.
3. Warner Bros. movie library available online- 150 titles.
4. NY Times cutting content- decreasing relevancy?
5. Newspaper ad revenues down 30% in Q1! Bankruptcies.
5 Key Takeaways- Digital Distribution Strategies
1. Digital distribution requires more sophistication to build
an audience, manage programming and measure the
2. Audiences are fragmenting; syndication is imperative. In
order to achieve business potential online, scale is key.
3. Content owners need to manage sale around their brands.
4. While media consumption behaviors are changing
dramatically, content quality still wins the day.
5. Legacy content owners/creators must employ strategies to
acquire content, including syndication from social media
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.