Traditional marketing is becoming less and less effective, with most people so used to print and online ads that they don’t even see them anymore.The Future is Content Marketing.When Done Right it’s a Powerful Tool that will Help Raise the your Firms and your Attorneys Brand Awareness, and Increase Lead Generation!
Lets start with the basics – just what is Content Marketing?Basically, it’s the art of communicating with your clients and potential clients without selling.Instead of pitching your law firm, you are delivering useful information. The concept behind this strategy is that if weconsistently provide timely, useful thought leadership to potential clients, eventually they’ll reward us with their business.What are some of the most effective Content Marketing Tactics?Writing Articles/Alerts/AdvisoriesPosting to Blogs • Distributing via LinkedIn • Google+ • Twitter • Facebook • VideosUsing Distribution Partners to push your content out even further
Lets take a look at the Evolution of Thought Leadership Distribution:
15 years ago: Communications like advisories were printed and mailed. Were seen by firm clients only5 years ago: Big improvement. Emailed and posted to website. More immediate. Reached many more clients - plus now some potential clientsToday: Huge change. Thought Leadership is posted, emailed, sent out via social media, and distribution partners
Here is what that “Today” looks like at Mintz Levin – we’re using a robust mix of Social Media & Syndication Partners to distribute our attorney thought leadership.
Just what does that distribution model look like?When an attorney writes an AdvisoryIt goes to our internal mailing list, Practice mailing lists, posts to the websiteWe send it out through our various social media channelsAnd we send it out to our distribution partnersOnly a small portion of these sources provide analytics, but virtually all of them are Google searchable and help thought leadership be found
Lets talk a bit more about the social media portion of that distribution model.
• Linkedin is the social network used more by In House Counsel than any other! Over 2/3 of In House Lawyers consult LinkedIn profiles. -Make sure you claim your LinkedIn Company Page so you can use it to push out Thought Leadership. • 2/3 of the Fortune 100 companies have at least one Twitter account - At Mintz we have Journalists • Biz executives • In House Counsel following us:• Facebook is the #1 Most popularSocial Media Platform worldwide with more than 1+ billion active Facebook users - It can be a difficult network for law firms to get engagement, but still well worth using.• Google+ is probably the best social network you aren’t using! - It’s now the 2nd most popular social network with 343 million active users - Because of the relationship between Google+ and Google search, using it can help get your content to the top of Google searches• Blogs are important way to help establish your firms attorneys as thought leaders in key practice areas and help raise the firm profile - More than 40% of corporate counsel rely on blogs as a top source of information - 55% said a law firm’s blog can influence hiring decisions–All of these networks provide a great opportunity for law firms to connect with their community and create valuable top-of-mind awareness.
Lets talk about the Distribution Partners we use and some of the reasons why
Mondaq’s site has approximately 528,000 registered readers • Great analytics: Provides specific data about our readers, including name, company name, position, contact info, etcLexology has great distribution, the most important being the Association of Corporate Counsel! • They also register readers & can provide specific data about companies that are reading our thought leadership and about highest read articlesJD Supra doesn’t require registration. This means that we get far more views, but not actual readers names, positions, etc. in the analytics• Widely read and we alsoget a tremendous amount of shares for our thought leadership through themThe National Law Review is another great option, particularly for firms on a budget • Their site is highly SEO’d, which helps it get crawled quickly by search engines We are using Martindale for it’s well known profiles, but also as another distribution partner • Provide an Audience of qualified buyers of legal services
2012: We got over a million article reads through our distribution partners!Pretty impressive, huh? And here are some other very impressive statistics::• Mintz ranks in top 3 contributors to the National Law Review!• In Sept and Dec Mintz had the most North American article reads of any firm on Mondaq!• Mintz total reads are over 2 ½ times higher than the AmLaw 100 competition on Lexology!• And - Mintz Levin had the highest number of article views & profile views of any firm on JD Supra!!!
At the beginning I took you through the distribution process a typical Advisory at Mintz Levin takes.Now lets look at a real life example – a blog post
Lets follow the distribution of ablog post about trademark issues related to Beyoncé and Jay-z’s daughter, Blue Ivy Carter:
The post was read and picked up all over the webAdditionally, it led to three separate media interviews in one day!
Of course the real question is “Is our Content Marketing Strategy paying off?” Yes!!!Led to many shares & retweets • had pick ups by major pubs like the NY Times • Led to interviews with pubs like Wall Street Journal, Business Week, National Law Journal, etcMost importantly – led to new client work!Here is one of my favorite stories:One of our blogging attorneys got a voice mail at 7:30 am one morning from out of nowhere. A panicked-sounding general counsel of a video game producer in California found her post about data breach laws online, read the her blog, and called to engage us for a data breach investigation. it was 4:30 am his time, and as he put it they“were under attack”. She returned his call while on her way to work and he hired us on the spot! And that is just one of many new clients who have found us through our Content Marketing Strategy!
I know time is tight - I will be around after the session if you want to ask me any QuestionsAlso – Feel free scan the QR code to access my mobile business card.
1. Marketing Technologies: Digital Marketing Ideas Worth SpreadingThe Power of Content Marketing: How to Leverage Thought Leadership Linda Pepe | Director of Marketing | Mintz Levin 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
2. Content Marketing: What is it? 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
3. Distribution of Thought Leadership Then & Now2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
4. 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
5. Social Media & External Partners • LinkedIn • Mondaq • Twitter • Lexology • Facebook • JD Supra • Google+ • National Law • Blogs Review • Martindale 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
6. Distribution of a Typical Advisory Shared through followers and Lawyers.com + Attorneys.com Attorneys & Senior Professionals connections Mintz LinkedIn American Bar Assoc Shared + liked Practice Group Mailing Lists Mintz Facebook Tweeted/Retweeted Inside Counsel Posted to The French Corporate Mintz website Mintz Google+ Counsel AssociationMartindale-Hubble site (AFJE) Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc LexisNexis Martindale- Mintz Twitter The Corporate Lawyers Hubbell Association of South Law.com Africa (CLASA) The Singapore Corporate Mintz Blog Postings Counsel Association (SCCA) The Association of National Law Lexology Corporate Counsel Review site (ACC) National Law 14 National Law The State Bar Review Lexology of Texas Review newsletters Mondaq Newsletter + Site Newsletter + JD Supra Mondaq Site RSS Feeds to various JD Supra The Corporate Lawyers The State Bar State Bar Associations Site MSN News Association of New Zealand of California Yahoo News (CLANZ) JD Supra Google News JD Supra Service Westlaw Twitter Feed Service JD Supra The American Linkedin Legal RSS feed Mondaq Bing Intellectual Property Channel Quicklaw JD Supra Facebook Reuters Twitter Feed Law Association America Page Datastar Justia Lexis-Nexis Bloomberg The International JD Supra BBC Technology Law Newsletter Justia Barrons Factivia Association ITechLaw Google Subscribers Thompson Gale Complinet Financial The Society Newstex Moreover.com for Computers OneSource Times Complinet Bureau and Law Van Dijk NuWire Alltop MediaFed Australian Corporate The Association Lawyers Association Wall Street Journal Yellowbrix of Media and Entertainment 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA Newstex Counsel AMEC E-space.co.uk Smartbrief 25+ Twitter Accounts 200 LinkedIn groups WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
7. Distributing Thought Leadership via Social MediaLinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ |Blogs 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
8. 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
9. Distributing Mintz Thought Leadership via External Partners Mondaq | Lexology | JD Supra National Law Review | Martindale-Hubbell2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
10. 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
11. 2012 Distribution Partner Article Views Mondaq 52,209 Lexology 100,030 JD Supra 843,813 National Law Review 61,650 Martindale 9,336 Total Tracked Views 1,067,038 (88,920 average reads per month) 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
12. Mintz Case Study: Distribution of a Blog Post2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
13. Blog Posting 1116 1157 ML LinkedIn Lexology 373 53 ML Facebook Mondaq 302 29 ML Google+ National Law 812 Review 326 ML Twitter JD Supra 2088 Pushed out via social media: 1565 Total Trackable Reads: 4691 + ? Non-Trackable ReadsCountries Reading: Companies Reading: Canada Poland Singapore China Google Yahoo! Xerox Canon Nestle American Express Verizon Boeing Marriott Switzerland Hong Kong England Japan New Zealand Barnes & Noble Merck Red Bull Nationwide Mutual Netherlands Liechtenstein Australia Greece Brazil GlaxoSmithKline The Hartford TD Ameritrade T-Mobile 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE South Africa Germany India Italy | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA Thompson Reuters CBS Law360 WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
14. 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
15. Successful Strategy? Yes!– Led to many re-tweets & shares, such as one by an Associate GC of a major corporation, others by columnists, (one with 267,234 followers)– Picked up by major publications like the New York Times– Led to print & broadcast interview requests from the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Adweek, National Law Journal, Law 360, Corporate Counsel, Reuters, and others– Led to meetings with potential clients & new clients 2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM
16. Questions? (Scan to connect with me.)2013 LMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE | APRIL 8-10, 2013 | ARIA RESORT | LAS VEGAS, NEVADA WWW.LMACONFERENCE.COM