* Original Question “We don‟t seem to be moving
ahead but rather it feels like we are going
around our mess in circles. What do we do?”
* The Correct Question - “Lets use a simple way
of assessing organizational, industry, partner
and individual maturity. But the short answer
to your question is that‟s happening because
you are strong in wrong level of maturity on
the maturity pyramid.”
Maturity and Value Increases As You Go Up
Control Increases As You Go Down The
If You Are Facing Trouble at Level „n‟ You
Should Address the next higher level „n+1‟
* When Individual‟s Work By Experience
* They mostly know How to do a few things which they
have done earlier.
* Its Sad that most companies hire for Know HOW
* These individuals will also do What!!! Exactly which
has worked for them in the past.
* Most companies Sadly hire for Knowing What needs to
* The real Value of Individuals is when they can explain
Why something needs to be done (probably based on
data and facts, current or previous). Not to be
confused with the Cliché of Experience we frown upon
* Are your Partners good at How To Do Things?
* Or are they telling You What To Do?
* Or are they working with you on Why to do or
not do things? Also?
* That‟s the maturity of your partner ecosystem
in 3 lines
* Consultants and Partners normally bring How
mostly, and some of What but little or no Why!
* Maybe your Industry needs Mass Standardization, so you have
an elaborate process or How? Aka The Standard Operating
* But almost your Entire Management Hierarchy dictates What
needs to be done and probably How it needs to be done (In
Specialist hiring organizations) But no one talks about Why!
Something needs to be done in your Organization.
* Which level is your organization strong on?
* I think you should start with the Top Of The Pyramid.
* If you are fighting for survival you May (*** conditions apply)
want to go down the pyramid. But the general purpose is to
go up the pyramid across the company w/ consensus on
Why‟s!!! And everyone can work their way down
* Changing the Most Restrictive Organization
Construct preventing Innovation
* Aditya – “It is extremely sad that we tell our
engineers What! we want and exactly How! we
want it... It would be best if we just told them
Why! we need something done and let our
engineers figure out the What! and How!....”
* Trust me if that changes there is no stopping