2. WHAT’S PINTEREST & HOW’S IT WORK Pinterest is a virtual pinboard that helps you organize and share interesting things you find on the web You can ‘pin’ images and videos from the internet onto the boards that you create, and follow and repin other users Pinterest Mission: “Our goal is to connect everyone in the world through the things they find interesting. We think that a favorite book, toy, or recipe can reveal a common link between two people. With millions of new pins added every week, Pinterest is connecting people all over the world based on shared tastes and interests..”
3. WHY PINTEREST IS INTERESTING FOR BRANDS Pinterest has over 12m unique visitors. It went into closed beta in Mach 2010 and then later to an invitation only open beta It’s the fastest site to reach10 million unique visitors More than 9.5m users have connected their Facebook & Pinterest accounts Very heavy skew to female audience. 97% of its Facebook fans are women Pinterest is already sending a huge amount of referral traffic to retailers online. Its being explored for Social Commerce & infact Pinterest has monetized some of this traffic through affiliate marketing referral commissions Very visual way of getting your brand story over to users and connecting with them based on common interests
4. SOME PINNING BRANDSWHOLE FOODS MARKET CABOT CHEESEWhole Foods on Pinterest is as Cabot Creamery is a farm family-much about the brand’s values and owned cooperative from Vermontlifestyle as much about food, and is a great example of a brandrecipes and its products, with curator. Pinboards include: Farmers & Farms, Cheese,Pinboards around gardening, Vermont, Breakfast, Main Dishes,fitness & charity as much as dinner Side Dishes and even Cheesyrecipes, veggies and seasonal Petsfavourites. http://pinterest.com/cabotcheese/http://pinterest.com/wholefoods/
5. SOME PINNING BRANDSFOOD 52 MARTHA STEWARTOnline food community and recipe Extremely popular and lends well tosearch site Food 52 pins about different Pinboards just like on theirvarious food themes from site. Pinboards around DIY, Back toMeatless Monday Inspiration to School supplies, Cookies,Tuscan Fantasy Meals Superbowl Food etc.http://pinterest.com/food52/ http://pinterest.com/marthastewart/
6. SOME PINNING BRANDSWEST ELM TRAVEL CHANNELThe furniture manufacturer uses Content around travel curatedits Pinboards for design from a consumer lens with boardsinspiration for users and creative such as Travel Bucket List, Streetuses of furniture, interiors and Food Around The World,decorations by others. Beaches, Family Travel etc.http://pinterest.com/westelm/ http://pinterest.com/travelchannel/
7. Fashion and Lifestyle Magazines Retailers Real Simple Magazine Nieman Marcus Brides Magazine Bergdorf Goodman Shape Magazine Nordstrom In Style West Elm MORE PINNING People Rue Magazine Better Homes and Gardens Michaels Pottery Barn Kids Zales BRANDS Lonny Magazine Matchbook Magazine Lucky Magazine Etsy Abes Market LaylaGrace Ladies Home Journal Feterie Colleges and Universities Todays Parent Betsy White Stationary Miami University Sunset Magazine Boticca Drake University Parenting Magazine Melissa and Doug Emory University Celebrities Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Yale University Nina Garcia Williams-Sonoma Texas A&MTravel Chris March Beauty and Fashion Skidmore CollegeAmerican Airlines The Backstreet Boys Tarte Cosmetics Oberlin CollegeSouthwest Airlines Paula Deen Rent the Runway MiscellaneousBedandBreakfast .com Michael Kors Birchbox BarbieHomeAway Felicia Day Shop It To Me AMDPublishing Martha Stewart Honeycomb Salon LuxeFindsChronicle Books Ree Drummond Pop Sugar General ElectricRandom House Books Alanis Morissette Cooking Magazines BlockbusterKnopf Doubeday Cooking Light KloutCrown Publishing Saveur Verizon Wireless SportsHeinemann Publishing Clean Eating Pinterest Seattle SeahawksBlogHer Television Major League BaseballScholastic Inc. The Weather Channel Apparel Gap Today Show Food and CookingHome Goods & Services Travel Channel Modcloth Cabot CheeseAmerican Standard Brands HGTV Toms Shoes EpicuriousGilt Home Food Network Lulus ChobaniHigh Point Market Sesame Street Threadless Lindt ChocolateApartment Therapy Journalism Sevenly Middle Sister WinesRealtor .com Newsweek Lands End PillsburyBenjamin Moore Paints Time Club Monaco DomesticaLowes The Wall Street Journal Barkers Clothing Food52Non-Profits CTV News Zulily Peanut Butter & Co.UNICEF CBS New York Anthropologie Pretzel CrispsHumane Society of New York PBS NewsHour Lily Pulitzer Little DebbieNational Wildlife Federation KOMO News Barneys New York Tillamook CheeseAARP USA Today College Kate Spade NY Hillshire FarmGo Red for Women Gannett Digital Allens Boots Whole FoodsRotary International Mashable Gilt Baby and Kids Pepperidge Farm Puff PastrySacramento Public Library
8. BEST PRACTICES WHILE PINNING[ACCORDING TO PINTEREST] Pinning from various sources rather than one specific site. Repinning from within the site to engage with others. Repinning is one of the most social activities on Pinterest and it’s how any user really builds his/her network of followers. Creating at least a few boards that cover a broad range of interests, rather than maintaining a single board devoted to one topic.
9. TIPS & THOUGHT STARTERS Get the‘Pin It’ button on your site Think about watermarking images that will get shared a lot Use Pinboards for understanding your category, related category and things consumers associate with your related categories Use your Pinboards to show different nuances of your brands personality and values and different brand associations Make your brands more human by showing the behind the scenes Use it for contests and campaigns such as an early campaign called ‘Pin It to Win It’ Use different themes to make your own content more curation based and sharable Re-Pin things your brand finds interesting! Make a board around your fans and what their repins Use keywords in descriptions as search behaviours are already start showing up on this platform
10. SUGGESTION ON A COUPLE OF NEXT STEPS: Get your Brand name on it ASAP before name- squatters come and grab them !! Have a think about how you might want your brand to participate and interact on Pinterest, based on the examples from here and further reading.
11. SOURCES & FURTHER READING http://www.forbes.com/sites/daniellegould/2012/02/15/pinterest-for-food-brands-startups- organizations/ http://www.skillshare.com/Pinning-WIth-A-Purpose/1805520872 http://www.simplyzesty.com/social-media/top-tips-for-brands-on-pinterest/ http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/3347-14-Brands-on-Pinterest/page/4 http://www.quora.com/What-brands-are-using-Pinterest-well http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/12/five-ways-brands-can-leverage-pinterest/ http://pinterest.com/about/ http://blog.pinterest.com/ http://mashable.com/2012/01/09/the-top-brands-on-pinterest/ http://socialmediatoday.com/nina-churchill/445857/companies-got-it-right-pinterest http://socialmediatoday.com/emoderation/439744/pinterest-part-v-100-brands-pinterest http://socialmediatoday.com/anand-patel/446681/pinterest-new-big-deal http://www.emoderation.com/the-complete-pinterest-guide-for-brands?show_link=1 http://monetate.com/infographic/is-pinterest-the-next-social-commerce-game- changer/#ixzz1mQPrNKhu http://mashable.com/2012/02/14/pinterest-america-england-infographic/ Corporate Information: Pinterest is managed by Cold Brew Labs out of Palo Alto. Beta started in March 2010. It is currently in open beta. The company has 16 employees and has had 2 rounds of funding.