1. The Online
2. How much is the online travel market worth?
3. Which online channels get the bookings?
4. How does each tourism sector
5. Australian Accommodation Network Map
6. What does this tell us for each
• Airlines develop their own online bookings systems and are
effective at directing bookings to their websites.
• Accommodation is much more fragmented but is continually
increasing online bookings. They rely heavily on travel websites.
• Car Rental companies benefit from bookings through both
online travel agencies and their own websites.
• Dynamic Packaging will increase as online travel agencies
develop their online strategies more.
• Tour & Activity operators suffer from lack of online booking
technology and traveller reluctance to book in advance online.
7. How to get bookings from your own website
• “If you build it, they will come” - not always true for
websites…search engine rankings are important
• List on as many travel and directory websites as
you can to direct traffic to your own site
More listings = More Traffic = More bookings
• Show your availability for bookings
• Email booking requests are now common but not
instant…consider REALTIME online booking tools
• Managing your internet presence does take time
but it is cost effective
8. What online booking systems can offer
• Secure instant booking and payment tools for your own
• Funds Management of bookings - payments and refunds
• Automated updates of availability and pricing from your
• Listings on their own travel websites or partner websites
• Easy set up and cost effective
• Charge monthly fees or % fees on bookings
9. Updating of booking websites
• “Channel Managers” like Siteminder and EZ Yield can help save
• They distribute your availability and pricing information to a
variety of online booking websites
• You don’t need your own reservation system or online booking
tool to use a channel manager
• Tend to charge monthly fees
10. Travel Websites
• Mix of travel organisations, last minute websites, niche and
regional sites, directories and maps
• There is a lot of choice and competition for share of online
accommodation bookings. Initially 28 days focused, now a
swing towards 12 months
• Research the relative costs and traffic of each provider,
especially if you have to pay to list
• Judge which options suit your business best in terms of target
market, budget, system links, and time commitment
• They will all direct traffic to your own website
11. Top Travel Websites in NZ
12. Top Travel Websites in Australia
• The online travel market is growing and continually evolving
• Managing your online presence and bookings is now an integral
part of your marketing mix
• There is not one perfect solution - the more exposure you can
get online the better.
• People increasingly want “instant” answers
• Research the options - if you’re not confident seek advice