Product marketing and product management are often fused together as inbound product management vs. outbound product managementOrganizationally where should a PM sit?Culturally it depends on the power houses – engineering, business etc.Discussion on who is doing product marketing and product management for you?
Internal (Sales, Execs, Dev, Mktg)Market Research – a lot of science, some artSciencePrimary research – original, lengthy, expensive.Custom/Deeper research, ask your own questionsQualitative – Interviews, focus groups, PAC/CAB.Quantitative – Surveys, ethnographies.Win/Loss AnalysisSecondary – analyst reports, internet info, channel/sales reportsArtApply the smell test – does this make common sense?Customers say they’ll buy but in similar situations, did they?After the Results – Influence & Unite team behind youRight timing for proposal? Organizational appetite?How to pitch the proposal to Steering Committee?
1. WANT TO BECOME A PM BUT DON’T KNOW WHERE TO START? Pinkesh Shah 1
2. Who is this PM? Talk about customers and their problems as opposed to company and their products Business leader that “orchestrates” all other functions of the organization Finds compelling solutions to market problems and works with the team to deliver delight to customers
3. Where do they come from? Customer facing product/service professionals Sales Engineers QA Managers Solution Architects Program Managers/Project Managers Engineering Managers Business Development Business Analyst/Research Analyst Fresh MBAs3
4. Where does they reside? PM org can reside in one PM reporting of many places – Engineering CxO 32% Marketing Engg. Exec Management (CEO) 47% Sales Mark eting Role might be influenced Sales 5% 16% by org structure but the goal should not! Adaptive’s Annual India PM/PMM survey 20104
5. What are they called? Role: product manager PM Titles Title: Requirements Product Manager TPM Analyst, product Project Manager Program Manager manager PM), product marketing 15% manager(PMM), Techni 45% cal product manager 10% (TPM), brand manager, product line 30% manager (PLM), Research Manager, customer Adaptive’s Annual India PM/PMM survey 2010 manager…5
6. Who do they work with? Internal External Steering teams Customers Executives Prospects Engineering Partners Marketing Analysts Sales Thought leaders Solution Architects Channel Sales Project Managers Agencies Support And more.. SEs And more..6
7. What is a product? A good or service offered by an organization which affords a bundle of benefits both objective (physical) and subjective (image) to a user7
8. Value – what does this mean to you? Value is the worth in monetary terms of the benefits (economic, technical, service and social) in excess of the costs incurred to realize those benefits Marketing Management is the art and science of choosing target markets and getting, keeping and growing customers through creating, delivering and communicating superior customer value Marketing Management, Philip Kotler8
9. Value Management = Product Management Communicating Creating Value Value• Customer • Value • Value Value • Define based • Positioning Channels Modeling products Pricing Value Network Prop Understanding Capturing Value Delivering Value Value Market Strategic Product Go To Sales Analysis Planning Planning Market Enablement Choosing to Building Building it Marketing it Selling Build Profitably right right effectively9
12. The Backbone of a Good PM Market Research, The Backbone of a Good PM
13. We consult with companies and enable professionals to productize Training Practice Areas Train and certify product professionals for accelerated Product Management career growth User Exerpeience Consulting Agile Helping companies launch new product lines and grow Product Marketing existing ones throughout the product lifecycle with predictable success. Execution Integrate with client’s management team and help set and execute product strategy13