ISTITUTO PROFESSIONALE DI STATO “ F.S. CABRINI “ TARANTO FIRST YEAR
COMENIUS MULTILATERAL “ RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS THROUGH SCIENTIFIKNOWLEDGE” I.P.S “ F.S. CABRINI “ TARANTO first year The project has developed regularly, reaching the objectives and aims fixed.
As to the activities done we can quote:
A CD-ROM with a power point presentation of:
Clean Energy and Biodiesel
Production of biodiesel in our chemistry lab;
Visit to the CISA-APPIA Energy plant in Massafra specialized in the production of RDF (fuel derived from waste), waste management process and biogas production.
Water testing Laboratory and
Study visit to the Apulian Acqueduct
Visit to the centre for water treatment “Bellavista” in Taranto
Chemical analysis of Mar Piccolo waters
Soil testing laboratory
a. Visit to the “Carmine” farm (taking samples of soil to perform chemical and microbiological lab analusis)
The activities have been done in curricular time through an interdisciplinary methodology encouraging a further studying of Italian, History, Science, Maths, biology, chemistry, ICT, English and German.
1. Pupils have become more aware of important environmental issues, such as pollution, recycling, eco-consumption and the importance of the protection of nature.
2. They have shared experiences and created a global cooperation about environmental issues. 3. Students have improved their using of ICT as means of communication in order to exchange information, besides improving foreign language skills. In addition to lessons in class, working in chemistry and microbiology labs has given them the opportunity to learn through an innovative way.
4. They have been very happy and satisfied with these activities which have allowed them to widen their knowledge and cultural horizons. Getting in touch with other European realities has opened their minds and has enriched their culture.
5. Our school, which has always been involved in environmental issues, has had a new opportunity to exchange information, notions and knowledge with other European realities about problems of international interest. 6. School staff has enriched its own competence and skills having the chance to “make lesson” through an innovative way.
7. Local authorities have had an active part in the project too. They have allowed our students to make guided tours. 8. As to the next year we hope to go on like this and keeping up the same enthusiasm and success!
As to the activities to be done this year
we suggest something about renewable and alternative Energy,
sustainable development, Kyoto protocol, in particular:
Photovoltaic plants and
(Aelonian) wind energy
The main idea is to make our students elaborate a potential project regarding a photovoltaic plant for our school.
We would like our students to work on an imaginary activity, making them elaborate an analysis on renewable energy. The object is to make our students think of possible actions which could rationalize and eventually obtain a prospective energy saving for our school. The classes involved will be coordinated by internal staff as well as experts in the energy field. This way no doubt students will become more and more aware on the issues related to climate changes and renewable energy .
The work will be carried out during regular lessons, but also in extra time spent exclusively for the project through:
Chemistry and microbiology labs
Web sites, newspapers, multimedial products and text books will be used as important tools for our project. Students should focus their attention on the cost, expenses, the benefits, the legal procedures and the specific national financial supports necessary to implant a photovoltaic system in our school. Eventually, after analyzing data drawn from the students’ analysis, a graphic simulation of a potential final product could be arranged.