1. Act-On Software, Inc.Cutting Through the MarketingAutomation Hype June 22, 2011
2. Agenda• Why Marketing Automation is Getting So Much Hype Paul Mosenson, President – NuSpark Marketing• The Marketing Automation Reality David Appelbaum, CMO – Act-On Software• Demystifying Marketing Automation via Act-On‟s Marketing Platform Greg Wright, Technology Specialist• Summary and Q&A
3. Poll Questions1. What are your biggest „lead‟ challenges?2. Are you currently deploying lead scoring and/or lead nurturing?3. What types of marketing tools are you using?4. How satisfied are you with your marketing tools?
4. About Act-On• Founded in 2006• Over 300+ Customers in All Verticals/Geographies• Cloud-based Integrated Marketing Platform − Built for the Fortune 5,000,000 − Easy-to-Use and Affordable − World-Class E-mail Marketing Core and Deliverability − Integrated Web Analytics, Forms, Landing Pages, Drip Programs, Lead Scoring, CRM Integration…
5. About NuSpark Marketing• eMarketing Firm focusing on lead generation, lead management, content marketing• Founded in 2010; Team members average 20 years of experience• Philadelphia based; virtual team of experts• Provides the process, content and consultation for firms that implement marketing automation
6. Poll Results1. What are your biggest „lead‟ challenges?2. Are you currently deploying lead scoring and/or lead nurturing?3. What types of marketing tools are you using?4. How satisfied are you with your marketing tools?
7. Agenda• Why Marketing Automation is Getting So Much Hype• The Marketing Automation Reality• Demystifying Marketing Automation via Act-On‟s Marketing Platform• Summary and Q&A
8. Today, Business Outcome Mentality Occupies the Executive SuiteRevenue and bookings are all that matter:• “Will we meet the numbers for this quarter?”• “How does the sales pipeline look for next quarter?”• “What do we need to do to make sure we meet the numbers this quarter?”• “What is marketing‟s contribution and cost?” - Source: Forrester Research, April 2010
9. But Marketers Still Focusing on More Leads Causing a Marketing-Sales Divide Lead Generation Deals Marketing SalesFocus Generating Leads SellingOrg. Visibility Low Visibility Highly VisibilityContribution Difficult to Judge Easily JudgedMeasure Lead Volume & Brand Closed Deals & Revenue Quota
10. Sales and Marketing are Misaligned
11. Of Leads and Losses• Only 20% of leads are followed up on• 70% of leads disqualified due to budget, timing, etc• 80% of “bad leads” go on to buy within 24 months• 73% companies no process for re-qualifying leads• 80% of sales occur after the 5 contact th - Source: Sirius Decisions
12. And Furthermore…" … on average 16% of total leads deemedsales-ready opportunities actually close.The difference between a successfulcompany and a mediocre company lies inhow the remaining 84% of already qualifiedopportunities are handled. “ - Source: Aberdeen Research
13. The Problem
14. Marketing Automation Value Proposition• Improves overall quality of leads passed on to sales• Optimizes profitability of various lead sources• Measures marketing performance more effectively• Automates lead nurture activities turning less mature leads into sales opportunities• Increases visibility into overall lead pipeline
15. B2B Buyer Behavior• There are fewer active buying cycles• Buying cycles are longer• Smaller % of buyers are in active cycles at any one timeMarketing Automation listens for buying signals being sent by potential buyers as they interact with content: Scores them based on their propensity to be in an active-buying mode Sends those who are deemed worthy of sales to the appropriate salesperson
16. B2B Buyer Behavior• More stakeholders are involved in buying decisions.• More people affect the purchase decision.Marketing needs to deliver information that explains Offerings and business outcomes as they relate to each influencer. Marketing Automation manages this level of detail.
17. The Answer
18. Marketing Automation Figures• 107% better lead conversion rate• 40% greater average deal size• 20% higher team attainment of quota• 17% better forecast accuracy - Aberdeen Group - “Marketing Automation 101: Ensuring Early Success with the Basics; Maturing Your Deployment for long‐term ROI” June 2010
19. Lead Scoring Figures Companies with Marketing Automation•107% better lead conversion rate•40% greater average deal size•20% higher team attainment of quota•17% better forecast accuracy Aberdeen Group, “Marketing Automation 101: Ensuring Early Success with the Basics; Maturing Your Deployment for long‐term ROI” June 2010
20. In Summary: Why Marketing Automation?• Shorter Response Times: Campaigns are much faster to design, roll out and measure• Metrics Management: Marketing Automation gives better metrics on campaign performance and options for improvement• More Leads: Sales will receive more qualified leads with more information about each lead• Better Qualified: Rather than sending a segmented list of leads to sales, they can now get prioritized leads sorted by lead score• One Big Happy Family: Alignment between Marketing and Sales departments by increasing communication and transparency between them
21. Agenda• Why Marketing Automation is Getting so Much Hype• The Marketing Automation Reality• Demystifying Marketing Automation via Act-On‟s Marketing Platform• Summary and Q&A
22. Act-On Survey Says Consistently shows significant lag in through-the-funnel program adoption despite widely recommended best practices1000900800700600500400300200100 0
23. Now Back to Reality…• “…B2B world slow to embrace marketing automation..analysts estimating less than10% of companies currently utilize the technology.” – Marketing Sherpa• “We believe less than 25% of those who have marketing automation are taking full advantage of the system’s functionality. – John Neeson, Sirius-Decisions• “If an organization automates partially or poorly, results can raise more questions than answers. This puts the marketing organization at greater risk for questions about competency and leadership.” – BuyLine Research, Marketing’s World of Hurt• “If marketing automation requires that you run 50 marketing campaigns, you should have 50 highly optimized landing pages. Who‟s going to manage all of that?” – Chris Selland, Selland Capital• Marketing Sherpa has said that lead data goes bad at a rate of 2.1% a month, while a recent study from IDC found over 50% of leads in average B2B contact database are obsolete.
24. Now Back to Reality…• “Majority of marketers – 8 in10 – are now using social media to hear what customers are saying online.”• “Only 36% have formal system for using social media, in contrast to 44% who have a mainly informal system.”• “Just 5% of B2B organizations have a formal, systematic marketing training program; in 75% of companies, the only way that marketers learn is through trial and error.”• “81% of organizations spend less than $1,000 per year on marketing training and 36% spend nothing at all.” - Canadian Marketing Association Research
25. Introducing The Act-OnIntegrated Marketing Platform
26. The Act-On ApproachCore Platform‟s Roots Based on Responsys 3rd Generation SaaS platform architecture 10X the performance 1/10th the costDemystifying Marketing Automation Start simple. Automate processes at your own pace InstantOn™ database simplifies implementation and management Integrated web analytics, forms, landing pages, drip programs, lead scoring, CRM integration…
27. Over 300 Customers
28. Act-On Automation Benefits• Built for the Marketer – Ease of use Full compliment of intuitive design and layout tools Full spectrum of analytics/metrics for all marketing tasks and campaigns• Installs in a matter of days – Productive in a matter of hours No tedious training sessions, no process re-engineering, little to no IT support, no 3rd party service contracts required Instant-On Database eliminates need for dedicated database management or IT support• Best in class email deliverability• Dedicated Success Manager
29. Agenda• Why Marketing Automation is Getting so Much Hype• The Marketing Automation Reality• Demystifying Marketing Automation via Act-On‟s Marketing Platform• Summary and Q&A
30. Is Marketing Automation Right for You?Company/Lead• How long is your buying process?• What is your average CPL? Do you have a way to track it?• What is your average campaign conversions? Do you have a way to track it?• Do you have „plenty‟ of content for campaigns?• Do all your leads get sent directly to sales? Or do you further quality; segment out what get‟s sent?• Does your sales team „complain‟ about the quality of leads?• Are you concerned of the # of leads not being followed-up on appropriately or disqualified quickly?
31. Is Marketing Automation Right for You? (Continued)Process• Does your organization use a CRM system?• Does your organization already use any of these or combination of these tools: email marketing, website tracking, social media monitoring; webinar platform?Costs/Resources• How many resources (vendors & internal) are you relying on to get a campaign launched/managed?• Have you been asked to cut-down costs?• Do you have a dedicated IT resource? HTML or designer resource?
32. Taking Your Lead Generation to the Next LevelOfferings from NuSpark MarketingGold Lead Management Package:• Free Assessments: branding, audience analysis, media strategy, search engine strategy, SEO strategy, social media strategy, website/landing page review, content assets, lead capture strategy, lead nurturing, analytics: Value $7,500.• Management Services: Digital media, traditional media, SEO, social media, content planning, blogging, marketing automation, lead scoring, analytics: 50% off• Content Services: Two 4-page white papers, One 4-page case study, Two 2-page checklist papers (i.e. Top 7 reasons..), two landing pages (for lead capture), email template design and copy: 50% off Monthly cost: $4,000
33. Taking Your Lead Generation to the Next Level (Cont.)Offerings from NuSpark MarketingSilver Marketing Automation Package:• Free Assessments: Audience analysis, lead capture strategy, content assets, lead nurturing strategy: Value $2,250• Management services: Content planning, marketing automation, lead scoring, analytics: 50% off• Content services: Two 4-page white papers, One 4-page case study, Two 2-page checklist papers (i.e. Top 7 reasons..), two landing pages (for lead capture), email template design and copy: 50% off Monthly cost: $3,000
34. Ready to Learn More?Presenters: Paul Mosenson, President – NuSpark Marketing: firstname.lastname@example.org David Appelbaum, CMO – Act-On Software: email@example.comAutomated Follow-Up: Within 24 Hours you will receive an email to request webinar slides or recording, product info, pricing and moreCan’t Wait? Call our hotline at: 1 (877) 530-1555 Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org