1. Inclusion and what it means for you…<br />Anna Campbell Summer 2011<br />
2. School is for everyone…deaf, blind, in a wheelchair, learning disabled, or unable to communicate like you and me.<br />
3. Inclusion = special education (SPED) students in mainstream classrooms.<br />SPED students placed based on their least restrictive environments.<br />Support for inclusion:<br />Co-teacher<br />Paraprofessional<br />Speech & Language (SLP), Occupational (OT), and/or physical therapists (PT). <br />
4. What’s an IEP?<br />Individualized<br />Education<br />Plan<br />Who can have an IEP?<br />Those with…<br /><ul><li>Learning Disabilities
10. Various impairments</li></li></ul><li>Assistive Technology for your students<br />
11. Devices should be included in your student’s IEP!<br />FM System<br />Microphone that amplifies sound <br />only for the hearing impaired student.<br /><ul><li>Worn by teacher.
12. Minimally invasive for both parties.
13. Remember your audience, turn off</li></ul>or adjust volume when needed. <br />
14. My new student is in a wheelchair…<br />Be proactive!<br /><ul><li>Ask for assistance ahead of time.
15. Will the student need hand rails for independent bathroom use?
16. Is the car rider ramp wheel -chair accessible for the student?
17. If particular items are needed get in touch with your SPED staff.
18. Both items above are assistive technology for that student.</li></ul>READ THEIR IEP!!!<br />
19. ONLY useful if visually impaired individual can read Braille!<br />Braille Technology<br />Braille displays<br />Produces Braille for portions of computer screen displays.<br />Braille printers<br />Embosses Braille from computer input onto paper.<br />Electronic Braille Note-takers<br />Portable allows user to enter information with a Braille keyboard.<br />
20. Assistive Technology <br />Many different options; research is key in providing the most effective tool for those in need.<br />
21. Find more information at…<br />American Foundation for the Blind<br />http://www.afb.org/<br />Georgia Department of Education<br />http://gadoe.org/<br />US Department of Education<br />http://www.ed.gov/<br />