Thyroid lesions – Evaluation with Sonography
Presented BY

DR Laith Al hialy
thyroid disorders – presentation
•
•
•
•
•

thyroid gland
enlargement (Goiter )
Palpable nodule
Hyperthyroidism
Hypothyroi...
Imaging Approach
for thyroid nodule 2 – institutions ways

• US ( 7-10 MHZ liner – with Doppler study)
• thyroid scintigra...
BY sonographic
examination
what we can detected ?

• Mass ( nodule Solitary –
multiple )

• Cyst
• Calcification
• Change ...
Goiter could be presented as retrosternal upper mediastinal mass
Goiter could compress the trachea

Before

after thyroidectomy
Benign lesion

1. Cyst lesion
Most common colloid
cyst
Anechoic , well defined ,
comet tail appearance

2. Hematoma
happen...
Benign lesion
Nodule ( hyperplasic or
adenomatous )

Well defined , smooth margin ,
texture echogenic –isoechoic ,
fine hy...
Benign lesion

Inflammatory
condition
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
typical sonographic features
include: a diffusely enlarged
...
Malignant lesion
Papillary carcinoma is the most
common thyroid malignancy 75 %

Follicular, Medullary and Aplastic
carcin...
Malignant nodule

NHL of thyroid
Thyroid nodule isotopes scan
Hot nodule

cold nodule
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thyroid lesions – evaluation with sonography

666

Published on

Ultrasound diagnosis of thyroid gland lesions

Published in: Health & Medicine
0 Comments
3 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
666
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
42
Comments
0
Likes
3
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Thyroid lesions – evaluation with sonography

  1. 1. Thyroid lesions – Evaluation with Sonography Presented BY DR Laith Al hialy
  2. 2. thyroid disorders – presentation • • • • • thyroid gland enlargement (Goiter ) Palpable nodule Hyperthyroidism Hypothyroidism Cervical - LN
  3. 3. Imaging Approach for thyroid nodule 2 – institutions ways • US ( 7-10 MHZ liner – with Doppler study) • thyroid scintigraphy ( radionuclide Tc , 123 Iodine ) 99m • CT , MRI ( none palpable nodule ) • FNA Biopsy • Palpable Nodule > 1 cm direct biopsy • Nodule < 1 cm , Cyst also not appreciated
  4. 4. BY sonographic examination what we can detected ? • Mass ( nodule Solitary – multiple ) • Cyst • Calcification • Change in thyroid tissue texture • Cervical LN
  5. 5. Goiter could be presented as retrosternal upper mediastinal mass
  6. 6. Goiter could compress the trachea Before after thyroidectomy
  7. 7. Benign lesion 1. Cyst lesion Most common colloid cyst Anechoic , well defined , comet tail appearance 2. Hematoma happen with degenerative nodule
  8. 8. Benign lesion Nodule ( hyperplasic or adenomatous ) Well defined , smooth margin , texture echogenic –isoechoic , fine hypoechoic rim , curvilinear fine calcification with faint acoustic shadow , equivocal vascularity by Doppler, internal hemorrhage
  9. 9. Benign lesion Inflammatory condition Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. typical sonographic features include: a diffusely enlarged gland demonstrating hypoechoic areas with a very disorganized and heterogeneous pattern
  10. 10. Malignant lesion Papillary carcinoma is the most common thyroid malignancy 75 % Follicular, Medullary and Aplastic carcinomas and lymphoma make up the remaining 25% Metastases from lung, breast, and colon cancers ill defined margin, hypoechoic and punctuate –micro calcifications ( psammomatous calcification) with acoustic shadow Hyper vascularity by Doppler Thick halo 1-2 mm , cervical LN
  11. 11. Malignant nodule NHL of thyroid
  12. 12. Thyroid nodule isotopes scan Hot nodule cold nodule
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×