“ SATYAM ” AS A BRAND
BRIEF ABOUT THE COMPANY
Ω Satyam Computer Services Limited
Ω Indian IT services company based in Hyderabad
Ω Founded in 1987 by B Ramalinga Raju
Ω The company was listed on the Pink Sheets, National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange
Ω The company offers a comprehensive range of services, including software development, system maintenance,
packaged software integration and engineering design services.
Ω Satyam Computers had domain expertise in verticals such as Automotive, Banking & Financial Service, Insurance &
Healthcare, Manufacturing, Telecom, Infrastructure, Media, Entertainment, and Semiconductors.
Ω Satyam has nearly 40,000 employees on its rolls, working in development centers in India, the USA, the UK, the UAE,
Canada, Hungary, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Japan and Australia
Brand valuation is done by the following analysis
• Financial Analysis
• Demand Analysis
• Competitor Analysis
FINANCIALS DURING 2008 - 09
• Satyam claimed to have had an impressive top line and bottom-line growth in the second quarter of the year
• It clocked a 42% growth in its net profit for the period at Rs 580.85 crore, as against Rs 409.09 crore in the
same period last year
• Satyam's consolidated revenue for the quarter ended September 30, 2008, grew by 38.8% at Rs 2,819.29 crore
compared to Rs 2,031.72 crore in the corresponding quarter of the previous year
• The revenue growth was 7.6% over the preceding quarter.
• Jan 7, 2009 Rs. 39.95 Ramalinga Raju resigns; discloses over Rs. 70 billion accounting fraud of non-existent cash in
the company's books
•From 2003-2008, in nearly all financial metrics of interest to investors, the company grew measurably.
•Satyam generated USD $467 million in total sales. By March 2008, the company had grown to USD $2.1 billion.
•The company demonstrated “an annual compound growth rate of 35% over that period.” Operating profits averaged 21%.
•Earnings per share similarly grew, from $0.12 to $0.62, at a compound annual growth rate of 40%. Over the same period
DEMAND ANALYSIS & KEY CUSTOMERS
• Satyam Computers' network is spread over 55 countries across 6 continents. Satyam serves over 558 global companies
including over 163 Fortune 500 corporations.
• Initially,GE and Satyam have a joint venture partnership, called Satyam GE Software Services (P) Limited.
Achievements of Satyam Computers
• First Indian IT Company to get ITAA Certification for Y2K Solutions.
• Satyam Info way is the first Indian Internet company to be listed on NASDAQ.
• Declared one of '100 Most Pioneering Technology Companies' by World Economic Forum, Davos in the year 2000.
• First organization in the world to launch Customer-Oriented Global Organization training.
• First ISO 9001:2000 Company in the world as certified by BVQI.
• Ranked by the Brown-Wilson Group as the number two outsourcing vendor globally in the year 2006.
•GE was a key customer of satyam and 50 percent of its revenues
came from 4 companies,
•Cisco and Malaysian Airlines were other key customers
•Coca Cola, Nestle, BP, Australian telecom and media giant
Telstra, Global retailing giant Tesco
COMPETITORS ANALYSIS AND ITS POSITION
It stood 4 in the market among the top 5 It companies
Key competitors :
Tata consulting services
Brand valuation in the year 2007
Satyam Computer Services at Rs 3,462 crore.
IMPACT OF THE BRAND
• In its glory days, Satyam was the lifeline of Hyderabad. People were let off by traffic
cops, without even a rap on the knuckles
• It had spawned a new community of rich young people. The traditional elite no longer
were the toast of the society
• Over 10 per cent of all the IT professionals in the city worked for Satyam
• Almost a third of Satyam employees were women.
•The pubs, shops and real estate developers in the city depended on them for business.
•The philanthropic side. Satyam was associated with the Emergency Management and
Research Institute, which provided free medical emergency service to people.No
ambulance driver would accept even a Rs 10 tip.
• It was IT that had put Andhra Pradesh on the world map and transformed traditional
Hyderabad into Cyberabad. And Satyam was the torchbearer of this change.
BRAND – HOW DIFFERENT IS SATYAM
• A scam of Satyam’s scale would have killed any brand. -Actually, the brand died the day Mr Raju confessed his
• Cadbury, for instance, was struck by the worm “controversy”, and Coca-Cola and Pepsi had to face charges of pesticides
in their beverages
•The Satyam scandal, for its sheer size, can only be compared with the case of Arthur Andersen.
• After the accounting firm’s name came up in the Enron scandal, it had to take on a new identity: Accenture.
MAHINDRA SAT YAM
•Company worked on Brand Revitalization through strong Board
•There was more stress on the procedures and the processes in the company
•Satyam was strong at Data ware housing , Business intelligence ,Best work force in india
•Mahindra is good at telecom services
•Both merged to become the 5 Biggest it company in india
The Company is amongst the top 5 Indian IT services companies and the merged entity creates a
technology services powerhouse, with revenues of USD 2.7 Billion, a team of 84,000 professionals
servicing 540 customers across 46 countries.
The brand dons a new look and logo, reflecting the heritage of the Mahindra Group and our positioning
represents the new connected world, offering innovative and customer-centric services and solutions.