BL - Part2: Language of Mind & Body


Published on

This is the second part I upload. All the material has been taken from the Body Language by James Borg, much of which are direct quotations.

Published in: Education, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

BL - Part2: Language of Mind & Body

  1. 1. Part 2Language of Mind and Body<br />
  2. 2. As mentioned in the previous part, it is rare that words alone, while communication, are able to convey the whole or “right” meaning<br />A number of surveys over the past 50 years have provided a body of evidence to show that it is body language (non-verbal messages) that powerfully communicate the following:<br />Acceptance and rejection<br />Liking and disliking<br />Interest and boredom<br />Truth and deception<br /> Wouldn’t it be good to be able to identify all of these in your interaction with other people? It would certainly save plenty of time and heartache. <br />
  3. 3. Communicating with the silent language<br />It is true that choice of words are important in our daily interaction with other people, but it should not be forgotten that the silent language is as equally important as delivering appropriate words.<br />Silently, we communicate with our:<br />Dress<br />Posture<br />Eye contact<br />Hand, arm and leg movements<br />Bodily tension<br />Spatial distance<br />Touch<br />Voice (tone, pace and inflection)<br />
  4. 4. Body Language Elements<br />2<br />1<br />3<br />Non-verbal (vocal)<br />(e.g. tone, pitch, pace)<br />Actual Words<br />(content)<br /> Visual Body Language<br />(gestures, posture, facial expression)<br />7%<br />38%<br />55%<br />Elements of Communication Message<br />The above diagram says that 93% of the message is conveyed by the body language, including voice and the remaining 7% comes from the words.<br />
  5. 5. Elements of Communication Message (cont)<br />This means that in those vital 20 seconds to 3 minutes that we have when people form a first impression, this is determined mainly from how we present ourselves and how we say things rather than what we say.<br />If there is a mismatch between the words and the way they are delivered, we tend to believe the delivery rather than the words.<br />Therefore body language enables us to look beyond the words that are being used and get to the hidden silent language that is being conveyed.<br />
  6. 6. Make No Mistake<br />The previous conclusion does not imply that the content of your message is less important. Not at all. Body Language enforces and confirms the words in the delivery but it does not compensate for them.<br />
  7. 7. The Big Two<br />There are two things you want to be aware of at all times during any interaction – you want to know whether the people you are with showing signs of:<br />Comfort and discomfort<br />Open and Closed body language<br />
  8. 8. Open Body Language<br />Open Body Language is welcoming, relaxed and attentive. It signifies a lack of barriers of any sort, whether they can be physical or extending from you own body.<br />Your hands are usually in view, possibly with exposed palms, which signifies submissiveness, and your legs and posture are free and easy and eye contact is good.<br />
  9. 9. Closed Body Language<br />Closed Body Language, on the other hand, does not show friendliness or outgoingness. It is a cluster of gestures, movements and posture that bring the body in on itself. <br />It can be noticed by not much eye contact, crossed limbs and tense shoulders. <br />
  10. 10. Open and Closed Body Language<br />Does the body language of the person on the right gives you a first impression different that from the one on the left?<br />
  11. 11. Try it<br /> Put yourself in a closed body position. Note how it changes your mood. The mind affects the body but the body also affects the mind. Now adopt an open position. See how your mood changes. (Does it change for better?)<br />
  12. 12. A Final Remark<br /> As it is not possible to grasp the meaning of a word in isolation (i.e. without hearing it in a complete sentence), this case is the same with body language. Only one gesture does not enable us to judge on the person’s mood. Once we have a cluster of gestures, then we can draw a reasonable conclusion.<br />
  13. 13. The next part will deal with:Looking<br />