1. Search Engine Optimization How Search Engines work Site building basics Keyword basics Link building Competitive research Social factors Tools of the trade Help with SEO
2. Six SEO Fundamentals• Build sites that people want to see• Keep content original and fresh• Monitor your competition to see what is working for them• Incorporate social media to help build a following• Cultivate links from external sites to increase popularity• Create traffic to attract search engine traffic
3. How Search Engines WorkSearch engines provide the answers their searchers are looking for.The better your site answers specific questions, the more likely traffic will besent to your site.Rating factors include: • Time people spend on your site • How many external sites link to your website • What kind of links send people to your site • Traffic your site receives • Do searchers repeat their search after visiting your site
4. How Search Engines Work (continued) Page Authority Each page of every website is designated with a Page Authority. The algorithm used to determine Page Authority is kept secret but many inferences and educated guesses can be made. PageRank Is part of Google’s Page Authority ranking system. It is said to measure site popularity more than anything else, but it is one of the only ranking factors that is openly shared by Google. High PageRank sites tend to be listed before lower ranked sites. PageRank can be determined through many third party add-ons. PageRank is passed from one site to another through outgoing links. To a website owner these backlinks are one of the best ways to increase traffic to their site.
5. Site Building BasicsSearch engines prefer that websites are organized well in order to facilitatecrawling and browsing Crawling is how search engines explore and index your pageWhat do search engines look for?Organized site: One Home Page Limited Categories Multiple Sub categories for each category Detail pages that are grouped by sub and main categories
6. Site Building BasicsWhat do Search Engines look for ? (continued) ORIGINAL CONTENT Duplicated and repeated content is usually ignored and sometimes penalized. Content Freshness Content written years ago will be less likely to attract traffic than content written recently Keywords The words and phrases repeated on your site tell search engines what your site is about.
7. Site Building BasicsWhat do Search Engines look for ? (continued) Keywords in URLs Websites should include keywords in their domain names and page names Broken Links Broken links tell a search engine that you are not serious. Established sites will resolve broken links quickly. Domain Age Older domains attract more search engine traffic. The older the better. XML Sitemaps Provide search engines with a type of road map that helps them index your site
8. Keyword BasicsGoogle defines a keyword as a significant word or phrase relevant to the webpage or document in question. • Keywords are an important factor that draws traffic to your website • Industry keywords also allow search engines to determine your industry and the relevance of incoming linksKeyword Selection: • Determine what your potential customer will search for to find you or your competitors • Create a list of the main keywords that your business focuses on • Remember, for local business, your location is a crucial keyword
9. Link BuildingQuality links to your site increase your PageRank • Search Engines determine your industry and weather the sites that link into your site have the same focus you do • Industry keywords also allow search engines to determine your industry and the relevance of incoming links • .GOV and .EDU sites pass the most PageRank to your site Backlink Equivalents 1 backlink from a PR 6 site = 3 backlinks from a PR 5 site = 18 backlinks from a PR 4 site = 101 backlinks from a PR 3 site = 555 backlinks from a PR 2 site = 3,055 backlinks from a PR 1 site
10. Link Building (continued) Anchor Text links pass over more PageRank than other links: Dog training in the San Jose area: http://www.thrivingcanine.com For a great dog trainer Click Here Dog training in the San Jose area Industry related sites pass more PageRank than unrelated sites. For the example above, one backlink from a veterinarian site is better than many backlinks from restaurants.
11. Competitive ResearchEnter your main keyword into Google and see how you rank.• If your competitors outrank you, examine what they have done• Use a backlink checker to view how many they have• Use a keyword analyzer to see what other keywords they focus on• Find your competitors high PageRank backlinks and get them to link to you as well
12. Social FactorsFacebook • Is a great way to create and maintain a buzz around your business • Use it to keep people informed on specials, deals, events and more • Make sure that the call to action on Facebook activities encourages more traffic to your siteYelp • Integral to local businesses, yelp reviews are consistently on top of the search engine rankings • Getting listed with yelp can give you instant first page visibilityYouTube • Owned by Google is the second most used search engine • Google provides front page visibility with selected search results • Video optimization strategies exist to help individual ranking results
13. Social Factors (continued) Blogging • Have always been the ideal way to introduce fresh content to your website • With the introduction of Google’s new Freshness Algorithm it is more important now than ever before • Blogging attracts frequent visits to your site, which encourages search engines to send more traffic to your site
14. Tools of the TradeGoogle Google search • What keywords do you rank for • Who are your competitors in search engine resultsSEOquake Free Toolbar • Toolbar shows PageRank, domain age, internal and external links, keyword densitySEO Moz • Starts at $99 per month but very powerful • Calculates Page Authority, Domain Authority, link data and much more
15. Six SEO Fundamentals• Build sites that people want to see• Keep content original and fresh• Monitor your competition to see what is working for them• Incorporate social media to help build a following• Cultivate links from external sites to increase popularity• Create traffic to attract search engine traffic
16. Help With SEO SEO LaunchPage™• ABD Promotions can create a “to-do” list for you• Updated monthly, our step by step guide will walk you through the best steps to increase visibility for your website• Full service SEO plans are also available