1. YOU 2.0Personal Branding inthe Social Media Era Abbas Alidina @AbbasAlidinaOctober 11, 2011
2. The Business World Has Changed
3. About Us of this SessionOutcomesWhat Will We Cover?1. Understand Social Media2. Develop Awareness of Online Reputation3. Develop Your Personal Brand4. Establish Thought Leadership
4. Introduction to Social Media
5. What is Social Media?“Social media is more about Sociology and Psychologythan it is about Technology” - Brian Solis, Author of “Engage” Social Media is an Online Conversation
6. Social Media TimelineSocial Media has made it possible for anybody to produce content. Source: idfive.com
7. Social Media World Map
8. Social Reputation
9. Your Control Your Reputation
10. Here is YOUR New CV
11. A Credit Score for the Social WebYou are already being ranked across a digital continuum based on your online actions.
12. Social Capital
13. The Rise of Social InfluenceOver time, your “social credit score” will increasingly determine your real world experience.
14. Las Vegas Palms Hotel & CasinoPalms Hotel & Casino provides preferred treatment to hotel guests based on Klout scores.
15. Virgin AmericaVirgin America gave free flights to individuals with high Klout scores in Toronto, Canada.
16. Social InfluenceMany services try to determine your level of influence in one way or another based onsocial actions. Are they really measuring influence? Social Actions
17. What is Influence?The ability to drive action.
18. How Does Klout Calculate Influence?
19. Social CapitalWe are measured by WHAT WE SAY and theCOMPANY WE KEEP
20. Personal Brands
21. 3 Steps To Develop Your Personal BrandPersonal branding is the process whereby people and their careers are marked as brands.
22. 1) Recognize: YOU Are A BrandWhether we like it or not, we all have a personal brand.
23. 2) Identify and Define Your Brand
24. 3) Build Your Brand using Social MediaEvery action you take online casts a digital shadow. Make it a positive one.
25. Google Yourself
26. Claim Your NameSetup a domain and consistent Social Media accounts. www.YourName.com (GoDaddy.com) Niche Sites
27. Monitor Your Brand
28. Follow Influencers to Become OneSubscribe to influencers, thought leaders and subject matter experts with Google Reader.
29. Establish Thought Leadership
30. LinkedInLinkedIn is focused on Professional Networking Over 100 Million LinkedIn users globally 2 Million LinkedIn users in the Middle East 430,000 LinkedIn users in the UAE
31. LinkedInBuilding Your Personal Brand on LinkedIn allows you to: • Network with Influencers • Connect with Decision Makers • Be Found • Acquire Knowledge/Information • Find a Job • Build Your Professional Network
32. LinkedInOptimize and completely fill out your LinkedIn profile. Write a Powerful Headline Professional Image Your LinkedIn Profile is a critical component of your Social CV – Make it interesting!
33. LinkedInStart building your network with family, friends, co-workers, clients, etc. • Search for People • Import Email Contacts • Manually enter Email Addresses • Colleagues/Classmates • People You May Know (LinkedIn suggestions)
34. LinkedInLinkedIn Answers – Establish expert status by answering questions in your niche. • Position yourself as expert • Build Relationships • Network
35. LinkedInJoin LinkedIn Groups. Listen first and then contribute. Don’t Pitch! Region focused Subject focused
36. LinkedInThe Key to LinkedIn is your 2nd and 3rd Level Connections.
37. LinkedInConnect with people outside your first level network who bring value to your network • Potential Employees/Clients • Potential Partners • Subject Matter Experts • Connectors
38. LinkedInThe more you grow your network, the more you grow your reach
39. Other Social NetworksThe same principles apply. But be consistent.
40. The Google Job Experiment
41. The Google Job ExperimentHow Alec Bronstein found a job because of his Personal Branding.
42. Do You Want To Be A Thought Leader?
43. Thank You Questions? Abbas Alidina Founder & Director Logicks.com AbbasAlidina.com @AbbasAlidina