1. Using Social Media to DevelopYour Personal BrandAbbasAlidina.com@AbbasAlidinaNovember 20, 2010
2. OutlineAbout UsWhatWill We Cover?What Will We Cover?• Introduction to Social Media• What is a Personal Brand?• How to Define Your Personal Brand• Using Social Media To Develop Your Personal Brand• The Google Job Experiment• Leadership in the New Economy• Questions
3. What is Social Media?Social Media is a Conversation Online • Who participates? • your Employers • your Employees • your Customers • your Partners • your Fans • your Competitors • your Investors • your Critics • and many others… • The conversation is organic, it is not controlled
4. Social Media TimelineSocial Media has made it possible for anybody to produce content. Source: idfive.com
5. Social Media World Map
6. What is a Brand?Your brand is what others say about you, NOT what you say about yourself
7. What is a Personal Brand?Personal branding is the process whereby people and their careers are marked as brands.
8. Why Develop Your Personal Brand?The new economy has changed the working world forever. • Job tenure is decreasing • Job security is decreasing due to economic unpredictability • Globalization is increasing competition • Recruitment 3.0 - job seekers are being researched online Good News: Everyone has the chance to build their Personal Brand.
9. 1) Recognize: YOU Are The BrandWhether we like it or not, we all have a personal brand.
10. 2) Identify and Define Your BrandDefining your brand ensures your branding activities are focused in the right direction. • Perform a personal SWOT analysis • Have a focused brand (don’t be a jack-of-all-trades) • Set goals for yourself • Establish a marketing plan for yourself Sample Personal Brands: IT Project Management Expert Healthcare Strategy Specialist FMCG Supply Chain Expert
11. 3) Be Unique. Be Authentic.Differentiate yourself to stand out from the crowd.
12. 4) Brand ConsistencyBe Consistent in your branding across all platforms. • First & Last Name • Personal Images • Logos • Messaging Tone • Personality
13. 5) Build Your Brand EquityEvery action you take online casts a digital shadow. Make it a positive one.
14. Google YourselfIf you don’t show up on Google, you don’t exist. Social Media enables you to be visible.
15. Claim Your NameSetup a domain and consistent Social Media accounts. www.YourName.com (GoDaddy.com) Niche Sites
16. What is a Social CV?Content and Conversations are your Social CV in the Information Age. • Blog Posts • Videos • Tweets • Social Media Profiles • Product Reviews • Tutorials/Workshops • eBooks • Comments • Testimonials
17. Social Media Ground RulesPersonal Branding on Social Media takes effort, persistence and common sense. DO DON’T Be Natural Over-promote Be Respectful Be Rude Treat People As You Would Offline Sabotage Others’ Efforts Add Value SPAM Give More Than You Take Abuse Sites For Short Term Gains Offer Help Tag People Without Permission Ask For Help Be Over Demanding • Be Consistent • Cross-link all your online profiles and accounts • Extend social networking to personal face-to-face networking
18. Listen & MonitorRegularly listen and monitor what is being said about you online with Google Alerts, TwitterSearch and Social Monitoring tools (such as Social Mention).
19. Follow Influencers to Become OneSubscribe to influencers, thought leaders and subject matter experts with Google Reader.
20. The Google Job ExperimentHow Alec Bronstein found a job because of his Personal Branding.
21. Thank You for Attending Questions? Abbas Alidina firstname.lastname@example.org www.facebook.com/logicks www.twitter.com/AbbasAlidina www.linkedin.com/in/AbbasAlidina