Information from thehistoryplace.com, PBS, TheAmerican Nation textbook, and historychannel.com
Ft. • After the Revolution, U.S.Sumter beefed up security along the coast by building forts, like Ft. Sumter, off the shore of Charleston, SC.
• When SC seceded, SC believed that any previous government holdings should belong to SC.
S.C. tried to negotiate w/U.S.,but getting nowhere w/ that, they surrounded the harbor and the fort w/ men and artillery. U.S. Maj. Robert Anderson had only 88 men and enough rations for a couple of weeks. Gen. Beauregard waited.
• Confederate Pres. Davis got word that U.S. Pres. Lincoln was sending reinforcements to the fort, soLincoln he ordered Davis Beauregard to attack the fort.
Beauregard began about 4:30 A.M., April 12, 1861.• 34 hours later, Anderson and his men surrendered the fort.
Days later…• Virginia seceded.• Lincoln blockaded southern ports.
Weeks later…• Ark., Tenn., and N. Carolina seceded, making 11 CSA(Confederate) states.
• July 4, 1861, Lincoln called for 500,000 Union recruits.
July 21, 1861…about 25 miles from Washington, D.C.• Stonewall Jackson got his nickname helping Johnston defeat McDowell @ Bull Run. Lincoln saw the South as a tough opponent.
• Lincoln replaced McDowell w/ McClellan, making him Commander of the Potomac, and later, all Union forces.
• “Unconditional Feb. 1862 Surrender” Grant won battles @ Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, leaving the TN River and Nashville in Union hands.
March 1862-• The South rebuilt Hampton USS Merrimack as Rds.,VA ironclad CSS Virginia. She sank 2 ships, then tied w/ the ironclad Monitor.
March 8-9, 1862PeninsularCampaign • McClellan went from Washington down the Potomac toward Richmond, VA (CSA capital).
• April 6-7,1862 Grant surprised @Shiloh,TN Casualties : 13,000/10,000 More than in all previous wars combined!
• Union Navy’s April 24, officer Farragut 1862 took New Orleans. His famous quote later in the war: “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”
May 31, 1862• Battle of 7 Pines• CSA Gen. Johnston attacked McClelland close to Richmond. Johnston wounded.
June 1, 1862• Robert E. Lee became the General of the “Army of Northern Virginia.”
June • 7 Days Battles25- July1, 1862 • CSA GeneralLee drove McClellan back toward Washington
August 29-30, 18622 Battle of Bull Run nd
• CSA had 20,000 fewer men, Stonewall Jackson and James Longstreet sent Pope’s Union troops back to Washington.
• Lincoln relieved Union General Pope of his command.
September 17,1862 Antietam, Maryland• Lee with 50,000 pushed northward.• McClellan cut him off with 90,000.
Antietam -The bloodiest battle• Over 26,000 casualties. Lee went back to VA.