1. Design now
APEEJAY STYA UNIVERSITY April 2013
2. Design is one of the top 20 professions
that will survive in the new economy
• Good products are the basis of a good
• Good product design is relevant to
companies of any size and in any
Design can be applied to any company
which has achieved strength in
manufacturing, engineering or
• Creativity is essential to any business.
• Design is another term for creativity at
6. What is good product design?
7. Good Product Design means
By seeing a product from the point of
view of the user, rather than the
viewpoint of the manufacturer, may be
a source of product innovation.
8. Good Product Design means
9. Good Product Design means
10. Good Product Design means
The idea “ Form follows Function” is
basic to industrial design. This not only
means that design must fulfil the given
function of the product , it is also a
continuous interpretation of what
function is about, of setting new
functional demands and meeting them.
11. Good Product Design means
12. Good Product Design means
13. Good Product Design means
Human factors or ergonomics is the
science of adapting products to
match the human body and mind.
Getting human factors right is an
essential part of getting the design of
a product right.
14. Good Product Design means
15. Good Product Design means
16. Good Product Design means
17. Good Product Design means
Awell-defined, memorable product
personality is part of the design.
Yet , good looks cannot make a poor
product into a good one. Aesthetics
of a product combined with
excellence of materials, function, and
manufacturing actually contribute to a
18. Good Product Design means
19. Attributes of a designer
Excellent understanding of a problem
from the users’ point of view.
Understanding manufacturing constraints.
Good sense of aesthetics.
Ability to work in a team.
20. Areas of work for a designer
Form and aesthetics.
Ergonomics and User comforts.
Rationalisation of manufacturing
Reduction of parts, assembly and costs.
Packaging and presentation.
21. Designers vs Engineers
Designers and engineers are both
concerned with planning,
development and production of
22. Designers vs Engineers
Designers deal with concepts,
human factors, appearance and
Engineers deal with details,
functional performance and
23. The Difference!
Designers work with “thing-to-people”
Engineers deal with “thing-to-thing”
24. Design Thinking
25. Build Product Personality
• improve the
• refresh market
• upgrade to new
26. Build Product Personality
• Build new range
• Reflect Naga
• Capture new
27. Improve Functionality
28. Make them sustainable
29. Explore new materials
30. Make Small improvements
• HERO decides to
• to improve the
• to upgrade to new
• to give the product a
31. A Balasubramaniam
32. Cut production costs
• Everon changes the
• improve the product
• cut component costs
• reduce inventory
33. Cut Packaging Costs
• JEW cut costs
• redesigning the fan
• transportation costs
were also brought
down, resulting in
more savings. A Balasubramaniam
34. Change colours
• A new colour
scheme for an old
• is the easiest
method of refreshing
the product line
• it stylises an existing
35. New colour schemes for JEW
36. Introduce Graphics
Product graphics help
• and creating a new
37. Package Differently
• Design helps reposition a product
• through new ecofriendly materials for
• create an identity as
38. Sell differently
• helps make your
• helps brand re-call.
• solves retailing
39. Sell More
When you want to sell more:
• get a range designed, instead of one.
• package a slow-moving product with another
• increase perceived value through design
40. Design Thinking helps
in cutting costs,
in reducing inventory,
in improving the product, aesthetically,
technically, functionally and
in packaging it better,
in retailing it better.
41. "Simplicity is the ultimatesophistication."
Leonardo Da Vinci
42. Apple iMac