ICT stands for Information andICT stands for Information and
communications Technology.communications Technology.
Information and communicationsInformation and communications
technology can be defined as thetechnology can be defined as the
computing and communicationscomputing and communications
facilities and features that supportfacilities and features that support
everyday living.everyday living.
• ICT can also be defined as the study orICT can also be defined as the study or
business of developing and using technology tobusiness of developing and using technology to
process information and aid communications.process information and aid communications.
• ICT is concerned with the storage, retrieval,ICT is concerned with the storage, retrieval,
manipulation, transmission or receipt of data.manipulation, transmission or receipt of data.
• ICT’s refer to information communicationICT’s refer to information communication
DATA can be defined as raw and unprocessedDATA can be defined as raw and unprocessed
material. Data comes from multiple sources.material. Data comes from multiple sources.
The main sources of data are:The main sources of data are:
• Internal data (this refers to data gatheredInternal data (this refers to data gathered
from within an organization)from within an organization)
• External data (this refers to data gatheredExternal data (this refers to data gathered
from outside an organization)from outside an organization)
Information refers to data that has beenInformation refers to data that has been
processed in such a way that it is meaningful toprocessed in such a way that it is meaningful to
the person who receives it. Information isthe person who receives it. Information is
therefore defined as a collection of datatherefore defined as a collection of data
organized in such a way that it has additionalorganized in such a way that it has additional
value beyond the value of the facts themselves.value beyond the value of the facts themselves.
There are many uses of information.There are many uses of information.
Information can be used forInformation can be used for
• Decision makingDecision making
In order for information to be valuable, it mustIn order for information to be valuable, it must
possess the following characteristics. It must be:possess the following characteristics. It must be:
E-learning or electronic learning is a generalE-learning or electronic learning is a general
term used to refer to computer-enhancedterm used to refer to computer-enhanced
E-learning is naturally suited to distanceE-learning is naturally suited to distance
learning and flexible learning, but can also belearning and flexible learning, but can also be
used in conjunction with face to face teaching inused in conjunction with face to face teaching in
which case it is referred to as blended learning.which case it is referred to as blended learning.
There is an established pattern of convertingThere is an established pattern of converting
data into information. This is known as thedata into information. This is known as the
information processing cycle. The informationinformation processing cycle. The information
processing cycle is divided into five stages.processing cycle is divided into five stages.
These areThese are
• Receiving dataReceiving data
• Processing dataProcessing data
• Displaying results as informationDisplaying results as information
• Storing informationStoring information
• Distributing informationDistributing information
There are many careers in ICT. Some of theseThere are many careers in ICT. Some of these
• ICT educatorICT educator
• Web designersWeb designers
• Computer engineerComputer engineer
• Internet café operatorInternet café operator
• Programmer of software developerProgrammer of software developer
• Database administratorDatabase administrator
• Network administratorNetwork administrator