Direct mail is still viable and useful. We take catalogs and direct mail pieces to author events, exhibits, conferences, ect. Because of a limited budget, we typically promote several books in the same subject area on one piece.
Decreased seasonal catalog quantity considerably when subsidy was cut and became more conservative with uses; used primarily as a sales tool; currently print approximately 500 0-7 500 to cover accounts, select media, authors included in catalog, acquisitions use for potential authors.
Subject area catalogs allow us to highlight several titles in a series/subject area; currently print approximately 3000-5000 (depending on the subject area) and send to logical lists (Jewish Studies catalog gets sent to Association for Jewish Studies and Association for Jewish Libraries, etc.; Film Studies catalog gets sent to Society for Cinema and Media Studies). Also used by acquisitions as a selling feature for the Press to potential authors.
Mail out approximately 80% - the other 20% taken to conferences, sent to authors, used for other promotional opportunities