ALAN D. ARICO, MCTS
Naperville, IL 60564
(630) 898‐2234 (h), (630) 452‐4074 (c)
Seasoned analytical business professional and highly motivated SQL Developer/DBA with experience using SQL
Server Management Studio and Visual Studio, SSIS, SSRS to grow with your business intelligence operations: a
visionary leader who is rich in soft skills applying a holistic approach to solving the most complex business
issues through team building & self‐direction. Focused and hard‐working with ability to motivate and mentor.
• Project Management, Problem Ownership • Requirements Gathering • Enthusiastic Learning
• Complex Queries, Indexing, Triggers • Logical & Physical DB Design • Stored Procedures
• Capacity planning and back‐up/recovery • Security Best Practices • Root Cause Analysis
• Demonstrated leadership and teamwork • Data Analysis & Modeling • Regression Analysis
• Sense of Humor, Socially Responsible
Programming Languages: Transact SQL, XML, C, C++, K‐Shell, Familiar: C#, VB, Java, SAS, OOP
Microsoft Technologies: SQL Server 2005 / 2008, Reporting Services SSRS, SSIS / BIDS, OpenXML
Databases: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 / 2008, Microsoft Access; exposed to Oracle
Operating Systems: Windows NT/98/2000/XP/7, Windows Server, UNIX, Linux, Solaris, SunOS, VMware
Software: SQL Server Management Studio, Visual Studio, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office, Excel, Database
Engine Tuning Advisor, SQL Server Profiler, Performance Monitor, MS Project, Statistical Analysis QMacros
CERTIFICATION: Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist | SQL Server 2005—Implementation and Maintenance
NAVTEQ, Traffic.com Chicago, IL Nov. – Dec. 2009
Consultant – NAVTEQ Traffic provides real‐time traffic conditions for more than 90 metropolitan markets in North
America, including Canada.
• Heavy use of SSIS on SQL Server 2008 to ETL large amounts of XML traffic feed data using stored
procedures, powershell; conversion of 4+ terabytes of XML data into two databases of 150 gigabytes each.
• Designed fully normalized relational schema; T‐SQL build and maintenance scripts; queries and stored
procedures for data integrity and data analysis; SSIS package as scheduled task for automatic input.
SetFocus, LLC Naperville, IL Mar. – May 2009
SQL Server Master’s Program – Very intense 40 hours / week, 13‐week project‐oriented SQL DBA / developer
program, with real‐to‐life requirements, graded deliverables. Assignments and projects provided 2‐3 years equivalent
experience in all aspects of database management, T‐SQL programming using Microsoft SQL Server and other Windows
• Created simple to complex queries involving self joins, correlated subqueries and XML techniques for
diverse business requirements. Tuned and optimized queries by altering database design, analyzing
different query options, and indexing strategies.
• Analyzed the business requirements, systematically designed a database for an online‐movie rental
company. Employed best practices to create a complete schema including tables, stored procedures, views,
clustered, non‐clustered indexes, triggers, and implemented importing, exporting of data using XML, SSIS.
• Created reports according to business requirements for the movie rental company. Individually authored,
installed, deployed managed reports using SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services for a library database.
• Designed a bank application according to business requirements, and implemented robust stored
procedures, functions, and triggers to implement required functionalities.
• Developed a backup and recovery plan based on the data availability requirements, potential impact of
data loss on the business after considering and analyzing different backup and recovery strategies.
Alan D. Arico – 630.898.2234 – Page 1
• Designed database maintenance plans to set up core maintenance tasks to make sure that the database
performs well, is regularly backed up in case of system failure and is checked for inconsistencies.
• Employed the Database Engine Tuning Advisor to analyze the performance effects of workloads.
• Used the SQL Server Profiler tool to monitor the performance of SQL Server – particularly to analyze the
performance of the stored procedures.
• Analyzed different high availability solutions and implemented database mirroring and replication.
• Established security policy using windows domain accounts and implemented a security strategy to protect
against threats and attacks.
• Familiar with employing Service Brokers, enabling HTTP support and establishing Notification Services.
Charles Rutenberg Realty of IL, Broker Naperville, IL 2003 – 2008
Business Entrepreneur/Consultant (this period includes other brokers)
• Analyzed on‐market properties to maximize cashflow—eight properties procured.
• Developed repeatable process for tenant selection, contract handling, property preparation, and move‐in
/ move‐out reporting; managed monthly financial statements.
Software: QuickBooks, MS Office applications, Excel: property price analysis, rental market and sales
analysis; Managed ongoing maintenance and tenant issues for nine properties.
Bell Labs Lucent Technologies (now Alcatel‐Lucent) Naperville, IL 1982 – 2001
Quality Analyst (Software Quality Engineer, overlap) 1995‐2001
• Process management; source code change control practices; user data collection, data analysis; reported
in–process metrics for 200+ developers: Used: Excel, QMacros, UNIX tools, proprietary OOP language.
• Identified process improvement areas, implemented corrective action plans, and transitional trials and
test before deployment. Dozens of improvements deployed; supported external quality audits.
• Delivered standardized quality training to multiple development teams.
Vendor Manager (Project Manager) 1999‐2000
• Project managed cross‐functional and inter‐organizational team of 50 persons; initiated and established
relationships with internal and external suppliers
• Regular status reports to management; documentation; pull‐through sales in $millions$ of dollars; Tools:
UNIX, MS Windows NT, Microsoft Project, MS Office, K‐Shell scripts, SCCS change control
Process Analyst (Process Engineer) 1986‐1995
• Developed switching software, Led multiple teams using the PQMI methodologies and ISO‐9001
standards, resulting in ISO‐9001 registration, SEI Level 3+ process maturity; quality improvement
• Web‐based documentation; dozens of process improvements tested and deployed
• Team Lead on Quality of Work Life and Business Excellence.
Quality Assurance Analyst (System Test Engineer) 1982‐1985
• Software development: automated programmable test environment greatly reduced test intervals,
increased fault detection: Tools: UNIX YACC, LEX, ksh scripting; applied structured testing methodologies;
tested synchronous, asynchronous product lines; code coverage verification.
SetFocus, LLC Certificate, Microsoft SQL Server Naperville, IL 2009
Maintenance and Development
DePaul University Master’s Degree, Computer Science Chicago, IL
Major: Information Systems, Minor: Compiler Design
DeVry Institute of Bachelors of Science, Electronic Engineering Technology Chicago, IL
Technology Major: Electronic Design
Alan D. Arico – 630.898.2234 – Page 2