Family Tree Magazine NGS Newsmagazine Internet Genealogy Family Chronicle
1. Genealogy Boot Camp Session Four: Where do we go from here?
2. Social Security Card Applications (SS-5) The “other” vital record
5. Social Security Card Application (SS-5 ) Date and place of birth (Parents names (includes maiden name) Address at time of registration Place and Length of employment Address of employer Usually includes a signature
6. Death certificates often include social security numbers
8. Social Security Card Application (SS-5) Provides foreign ancestor’s place of birth!
9. Beyond Census and Vital Records Finding genealogical information from other record types
10. Newspaper Obituaries
11. Newspaper Articles
13. City Directories
15. County History Books
16. Railroad Retirement Records (CER-1)
17. Railroad Retirement Records
18. Railroad Retirement Records
19. World War I Civilian Draft Card Registration • First Registration. The registration on 5 June 1917, was for men aged twenty-one to thirty-one—men born between 6 June 1886 and 5 June 1896 . • Second Registration. The registration on 5 June 1918, was for men who had turned twenty-one years of age since the previous registration—men born between 6 June 1896 and 5 June 1897. Men who had not previously registered and were not already in the military also registered. In addition, a supplemental registration on 24 August 1918, was for men who turned twenty-one years of age since 5 June 1918. • Third Registration. The registration on 12 Sept 1918, was for men aged eighteen to twenty-one and thirty-one to forty-five—men born between 11 Sept 1872 and 12 Sept 1900.
20. Military Pension Applications
21. Sworn Testimony from Civil War Pension Application
22. Ship Passenger Lists
23. Naturalization (Citizenship) Applications
24. Where Are Genealogical Records Kept?
25. Local County Courthouse Grayson County, Kentucky
26. National and State Archives National Archives in D.C.
27. Family History Library and Family History Centers Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah
28. Larger Genealogical Libraries Newberry Library in Chicago
29. Local Public Libraries Local library in Arthur, Illinois
30. Local Historical Societies County and Town Historical Societies
31. Searching Libraries <ul><li>Union Catalog for most U.S. Libraries www.worldcat.org </li></ul><ul><li>Family History Library Catalog www.familysearch.org </li></ul><ul><li>Local Library Catalogs www.libdex.com </li></ul>
32. Continuing Education
33. Read Books!
34. Read Genealogy Magazines
35. Attend Genealogical Society Meetings
36. Go to Genealogy Conferences
37. Browse Genealogy Web Sites
38. Use Message Boards
39. Listen to Genealogy Podcasts
40. Read Genealogy Blogs
41. Ask a Librarian
42. Genealogy Boot Camp Session Four: Where do we go from here?