To increase social well-being locally and globally through innovations, shared expertise, and new synergy of academia, industry, and society.
To affect public agenda, current practices, and policy making by supporting existing and launching new research and social impact projects.
Aalto Social Impact (ASI) will become an icon for creating more well-being. ASI and Aalto University will be branding Finnish core values and success factors (e.g. welfare society, caring, education, design) worldwide.
Enable people to act and share through various activities:
1) Lectures - raising awareness of social problems - motivating and inspiring people to act
2) Discussion groups - brainstorming on social problems (sometimes w/o owner), leading to action - supporting existing social impact projects - launching new social impact projects
3) Workshops - giving hands-on learning experiences - contributing by supporting existing social impact projects
4) Blog & Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, ning.com, etc.) - facilitating sharing of information and teaming up
5) General Gatherings (beginning and end of academic semesters) - reporting on showcased projects and follow-up on measurement of impact
6) Teaching & Research (deep learning) - giving the tools to understand the systemic and challenging problems of our world - enabling students to apply theoretical framework to solving real world problems (HtCtW, low cost solution for extreme affordability situations, and more in the future) - expanding research on social innovation/impact work within Aalto University
What’s In It For Me? In The End, Everybody Wins STUDENTS RESEARCHERS & UNIVERSITY STAFF NGO, INSTITUTIONS & COMPANIES AALTO UNIVERSITY
Study real-world problems and solve them with experts (deep learning)
Work & learn in social projects (be a change, hands-on practice)
Empowerment & surpassing oneself
Career planning opportunity (get engaged)
Combine work with real world impact (research opportunities & funding)
Improve teaching standards (knowledge building)
Visibility and network
Bring forward social problems/challenges from their own perspective
Solve problems with limited resources
Link to latest research & thinking
‘ Social sabbatical’ of professionals to ASI (self renewal)
Increased social impact (giving back to society)
Build brand as social impact university (globally)
Active role in contemporary issues (designing the future)
SOCIETY • New solutions implemented • More efficient use of resources • Increased well-being ALUMNI & INDIVIDUALS
Contribute back to University (to students) and Society
We want to create an energising & passionate culture of social impact within Aalto University! A Can-do attitude of creativity…
by solving social problems in an innovative/creative way using tools such as empathy, CSR, social Media, social entrepreneurship, design thinking, Arts, etc.
Aalto Social impact offers a framework but it will be up to the community to make it become alive by participating, contributing, volunteering, shaping new ideas, creating new social projects, etc.
Call for help - Attend and contribute to our discussion groups - become an active v olunteer (and be a shaper of the initiative) - Help us develop more teaching courses relate to social impact, such as HtCtW course (or new Product development courses on possibly extreme affordability) - contribute in shaping workshops and bringing content, expertise, etc.
You can contact us at: [email_address] or find us around Design Factory Cafeteria and Aalto Venture Garage
Come on board and let’s innovate together for the social good!
You want to get a personal invitation/notification to our forthcoming events? Don’t forget to put your name on the mailing list https:// list.hut.fi/mailman/listinfo/aaltosocialimpact
7 April: 1st Discussion Group
Open mic session - pitches and working groups. You have an interesting social idea/problem? You already work on a social impact project and you need collaboration with others? Contact us in advance to reserve a slot to address the audience at: [email_address]
8 April: Lecture given by Philosopher Professor Esa Saarinen 1st Lecture on inspiration, motivation and meaningful things in life
13 April: Workshop on project management and team work Sign up for a highly interactive workshop given by Tommi Vihervaara, Student Business Project Coordinator, Aalto University (HSE). The workshop is intended for those who wish to get involved but don’t know how to start and what to do.
28 May: Lecture given by Professor Howard Gardner on GoodWork Project, Professor of Cognition and Education and Adjunct Professor of Psychology at Harvard Graduate School of Education