night flushing(using cold night air to ventilate a building and cool its thermal mass) is preferable for places where there is a greater temperature difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures.
evaporative cooling(which adds moisture to the air) works best when the air is dryerbreezes flowing under the raised building create evaporative cooling currents that push air up through atria and open stairwells.
passive downdraft evaporative cooling
deep water source cooling
Bio-mimicry: The Termite Mound
• Utilises vents to circulate air
• Circulated air regulates temperature of mound
• E.g. Eastgate Centre, Harare
Passive Downdraft Evaporative Cooling
(aka Wind Catching)
• Uses water bodies within building & chimneys that capture wind
• Captured wind passes over cooled structures for cooling
• The wind is then circulated around the building to regulate heat
• Centralised pool in the courtyard of the building
• Evaporation of water for Heat removal
• E.g. Pearl Academy of Fashion by Morphogenesis
Jaalis (Jalis) aka perforated stone
• Traditional tiles that laced buildings
• Blocks sunlight but allows air to flow through
• Practical & Ornate
Modern Applications of Jaalis
• E.g. Pearl Academy of Fashion by
• The Jara Mashrabiya Tile; uses hollow tiles
and water to regulate heat flow.
• Removable shading devices above the courtyards provide solar
protection in summer
• In winter the operation is reversed, opening during the day to capture solar
Deep Water Source Cooling
• Toronto: Cool water is pumped from a 5 km depth in Lake
Ontario to participating office buildings and through metal coils.
• Fans blow the cool air from the coils into the buildings‟ climate-
• A project using this technology is about to break ground in Honolulu and
will use seawater.
• Architect Shigeru Ban‟s literal interpretation of the
architectural term “Curtain Wall”
• Movable curtains act as a „foldable‟ wall that provides shade &
• A House in Saitama, Japan
• Utilises a foliage of Climbing plants as shelter
• Plants acts as Perforated screen allowing air flow & shading
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright
statute that might otherwise be infringing for non-profit, educational or personal use. In the case of inaccurate information, A.Alliance Design International is not responsible for any misrepresentation.