1. Analyticaldeconstruction ofShutter Island,Paranormal Activity &The Exorcism of EmilyRose
2. What is the difference between a trailer and a teaser trailer?-A trailer, simply advertises a film or programme, often using shotsor scenes from the movie.-Most films have both a full length trailer and a teaser trailer.-A full trailer is longer, reveals more information about the movieand is often shown in cinemas soon before the films release.-Whereas, a teaser trailer is specifically that; a trailer meant totease. They dont reveal any significant plot details and are meantonly to give the spectator a minor glimpse as what is to come.-These are more commonly found online and on TV a while beforethe release of the film. This is to attract attention and create a buzzaround the up and coming movie.
3. Shutter Island Overview;Shutter Island is a psychological thriller set in a remoteasylum on a private island. The trailer introduces us tothe protagonist, a detective played by LeonardoDiCaprio, who appears to be inspecting the case of amissing person within the asylum. However as thetrailer progresses the audience become aware of atwist in the plot through the detective’s change ofbehavior. The pace of the trailer increases whilst themusic climbs to a rapid pace, this creates tension andhints at the horror which lies in the asylum.Furthermore it suggests that there is more to thedetective than the trailer is willing to convey andleaves the audience questioning his position within theasylum.We have chosen this trailer as we aim to createa similar setting for our trailer (mental asylum)and a similar hybrid genre (psychologicalthriller/horror); we felt that this trailer portraysthis combination of genre well in the way wehope to.
4. Music & Sound Effects in Shutter Island;-Sea crashing against the shore emphasizes the isolation of the island.-Screaming noises (connote danger and suffering).-A number of sudden loud bangs whilst introducing shots within the asylum (createstension).-Silence (no music/sound) whilst the guards and detectives are speaking, thishighlights their authority and allows their dialogue to hold importance when they say:“We only take in the most dangerous damaged patients” which really highlights thesetting.-Whispers are heard from characters in the mental institute (following horror genreconventions).We plan to incorporate the loud bang sound effects to enhance the change ofshots in our trailer and to follow conventions from Shutter Island and build thesame scale of tension within our own institute. We also aim to use whispers in ourtrailer however we want to show where the whispers are coming from incomparison to Shutter Island where they use the whispers as voiceovers. Weplan to include dialogue from doctors in our trailer to clearly convey our narrative,highlight their authority in contrast to our protagonist and to show the importanceof what they are saying (that our character is mentally ill) We are challenging theamount of dialogue used in the trailer for Shutter Island by minimizing our amountof dialogue to emphasize our horror genre; instead we are using conventionalshots of our character being possessed which maintains the scary feel to horrorfilms.
5. Mise-en-scene in Shutter Island;-Large black gates used in the introduction of the trailer, thisintroduces us to the setting (mental institute)-The guards alongside the gate suggest the entrapment of theasylum an the seriousness hinting at the dangerous patientsinside.-Deserted, empty rooms from the mental institute.-The shot of the shower is a convention of horror films as typicallythere is normally always a shot of the victim in a shower; thissuggests their vulnerability and hints forthcoming danger.-Barbed wire is used in a shot during the build up in the trailer.This further enhances the entrapment aspect to the asylum. Thedarkness in the shots conveys a horror feel and the sound effectalongside the shot makes the shot feel realistic and sudden.-Establishing shot of the asylum- large old isolated building whichstands as the destination of the institute.We plan to combine a shot of large black gates with theestablishing shot of our asylum in our trailer thereforechallenging these features of mise-en-scene in ShutterIsland. We are doing this as we feel it is important tointroduce our audience to the setting immediately. Tokeep with conventions of horror films we plan to use ashower shot with our female protagonist to highlight hervulnerability and to suggest forthcoming danger.
6. Shutter Island; Target AudienceThe age rating for the film is a 15 therefore in comparison with TheExorcism of Emily Rose we can argue that the film isnt suitable for ayounger audience suggesting that it contains a lot more scarier andthrilling moments which wouldnt be suitable for a younger audience.In the first 10 seconds of the trailer we are introduced to the A-list star,Leonardo DiCaprio immediately suggesting that this film is targeted ata female audience as he is very popular and attractive. Furthermore,the fact that he is well known suggests that the film will gain massappeal as there would be a lot of build up and hype around a filmstaring an A-list star as the protagonist. The films genre,Psychological thriller also suggests action which typically appeals tomale audience and we can see this through a three-shot image of thedetectives. Typically, films containing horror genres do not include wellknown actors, in example the actors used for Paranormal Activity areunknown and this could suggest why the trailer has to stronglyemphasize horror conventions to appeal to their target audiencewhere as this films trailer can just subtly embark on thrilling and scarymoments as they know that their A-list actors will create the mostappeal.Examples within the trailer that appeal to its target audience;-Image of Leonardo DiCaprio- attractive, popular, female audience. (screen shotwhere it states his name and compare to Paranormal Activity lack of emphasis onactors name)-Where action is taken place (detectives, guards, guns etc.)- male audience.How this will affect our trailer and target audience;We are ultimately challenging the use of characters to appeal to our targetaudience of this trailer- instead we are following conventions of ParanormalActivity by using unknown characters; this will force us to exaggerate our thrillingand scary moments within our trailer to appeal to our target audience that wayinstead of A-list actors. -We are also going to include a build up of action withinour trailer to appeal to male audience- in example we plan to use found footage toconvey our female characters memory of the killing of her Mother when she ispossessed and this found footage will be action packed, with fast paced music,lots of changing shots etc.
7. Representation of Social Groups;WHO DOES THIS TRAILER REPRESENT?-Patients who suffer with mental health problems;negative portrayal of them, disturbing behavior;allows the trailer to appear scary.-Detectives; males. (connotes action thereforemale audience appeal).HOW WILL THIS EFFECT OUR TRAILER ANDWHO WE WANT TO REPRESENT?We want to represent a social group of doctors,which are a social group within Shutter Islandhowever do not play a dominant part in the trailer.We are representing the social group of patientswho suffer with mental health problems but arechallenging the way Shutter Island present thisgroup as we are only representing this socialgroup through one character.
8. Paranormal Activity Overview;Paranormal Activity is a film about a young couplemoving into a suburban home and becomingincreasingly disturbed by a nightly demonicpresence. The film is shot with hand-held camerasand this is hugely reflected through the productionbudget of under $15000. The trailer exposes theaudience to the nightly demonic presence throughfound footage to express a realistic sense of horror.We have chosen this trailer to deconstruct as wefound similarities in what we want to include in ourtrailer in terms of style and editing. We intend toinclude a demon possession and incorporate foundfootage to represent the protagonists point of view.We chose this trailer as it involves techniques wecan easily mimic when filming our own trailer andthe narrative of devil force is similar to how weenvision ours to be.
9. Style;Found footage and CCTV techniques are used in the film are are presentedin the trailer to allow the audience to feel part of whats happening and canalso leave the the spectator in suspense as this technique of style may fail toshow every detail of the trailer. The film is filmed in a similar way to aobservational documentary, creating the effect that original sound and raw,uncut footage was used, like a fly on the wall documentary. Editing;The most effective cut used within the trailer is the white noise screens thatreplicate a home video recorder, another way they simulate this is by superimposing the date and time in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.This also mimics a home video and adds to the realist narrative. The traileralso cuts to black shots with short reviews about the film and text such as;"Experience it for yourself" flashing onto the screen. This addresses thespectator directly and persuades them to want to watch the film.After watching the Paranormal Activity trailer and analyzing theirediting techniques which stand out the most to us, we plan toincorporate the white noise effect during our found footagetechnique and aim to edit the time and date on to the bottom riseof the screen whilst the white noise effect is playing. We liked thestyle of the trailer and want to use found footage sequences in themiddle of our trailer to reflect a memory that our protagonist isremembering to give the effect of a fly on the wall to allow thespectators to feel part of the action; however we plan to challengethis editing technique as we do not plan to use this filming stylethrough out the trailer
10. Paranormal Activity; Target AudienceThe target audience for this film is stated briefly in the comparableprofile taken from Pearl and Deans website (pearlanddean.com).From this we can learn that the target audience for this film is youngaudience (15-24) which is typical within the horror genre. From thetrailer we can also see that the target audience may be couples; thenarrative of this film is based around a couple who becomeincreasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence therefore thetrailer might persuade couples to go a watch the film. The fact that thetrailer seems to be challenging typical conventions with the horrorgenre by using two main characters including one male instead ofconveying vulnerability through the use of just one young femalesuggests they wanted to widen their target audience by increasingtheir chances of targeting men for example.Examples within the trailer that appeal to its target audience;-Use of both genders to ensure a mass appeal.-The demonic presence of the trailer- appeals to the audience as its awell known aspect which has been used in many films before e.g. TheExorcist. However we feel that the trailer doesnt specifically mentionthe demons instead just expresses a powerful presence leaving theaudience in suspense to what it could be.How this will affect our trailer and target audience;-We are challenging the use of characters in Paranormal Activity, byusing just one female character as the protagonist instead of two, tofollow conventions of the majority of horror films to convey our horrorgenre more realistically.-We are using a similar narrative to appeal to our target audience-devil presence. The devil presence clearly successfully appealed to itstarget audience therefore when it comes to the production of our trailerand the creation of the devil presence we are comfortable in knowingthat it will appeal to our target audience and can look at the wayParanormal activity does it to gain a more realistic and professionalfinal result.
11. Representation of Social Groups;WHO DOES THIS TRAILER REPRESENT?Age; Young couple- allowing the film to relate and appealto its target audience (young people)Gender; Male and female- again allowing the film torelate and appeal to both genders of its target audience.HOW WILL THIS EFFECT OUR TRAILER AND WHOWE WANT TO REPRESENT?We aim to use a young female to play our possessedprotagonist to allow our trailer to relate and appeal to itstarget audience of young people. However we are goingto challenge Paranormal Activitys use of its main malecharacter and aim to use a male for the doctor, instead ofthe main character. This way we will have the chance ofappealing to male audience by representing their socialgroup however will be following conventions of manyhorror films through the use of just one female youngmain character.
12. The Exorcism of Emily Rose Overview;Based on a true story, the trailer of The Exorcism of EmilyRose (TEOER) portrays a young female possessed by thedevil and the fight that her family alongside a priest have togo through to try and win justice against court. Through thetrailer we can see that Emily Roses family and the priestbelieve she is somehow possessed however are taken tocourt as being accused of performing an illegal procedureExorcism unnecessarily. The trailer is packed with dialoguetaken out of the film chronologically shown which allows theaudience to easily grasp the narrative. It is filled withdisturbing shots of Emily Rose herself behaving possessedby the devil; these shots are playing alongside conventionaltense music typically found in a horror trailer which allows thewhole watch of the trailer to become pleasurable for theaudience as it is what the audience would expect and wantfrom a horror trailer.We have chosen to de-construct and analyse the trailer ofTEOER as the narrative is very similar to one we wish tocreate in our trailer. We are going to be using the idea of agirl being possessed by the devil and the struggle betweenher and the doctors which almost reflects the strugglebetween the court, the family and priest in the trailer ofTEOER; therefore analysing this trailer seemed perfect. Theconflict of what is real and what isnt is what we really wantto emphasize in our trailer, and we felt that TEOER trailerreally portrays this, leaving the audience to make up theirown minds.
13. Characters;-Young female is used in TEOER; holdsconnotations of vulnerability and innocence.Emily Rose, victim and protagonist which istypical in a horror film- follows conventions;pleasurable for audience as it is what isexpected.-Judges in court; there as instigators of thedisequilibrium. Question the priests exorcismprocedure.In our trailer we plan to follow conventions of atypical horror film and include our maincharacter and ultimately the victim as a youngfemale to ensure we appeal to our targetaudience by providing them with what theyexpect and find pleasurable in our horror trailer.As the devil holds connotations of being such apowerful force, by including a young femalewho gets possessed by one will reallyemphasize her vulnerability. We also plan toinclude doctors who are similar in their role tothe judges in the court in TEOER as they arethere to cause a clash in beliefs for theaudience and leave them wondering who tobelieve, the young female or the doctors towhether she is mentally ill or is possessed bythe devil.
14. Plot;Young female possessed by the devil- The devil is a characterwhich typically appears within the horror genre and plays a hugepart in the development of the plot as when she first getspossessed is when the film is at is peak and the conflict begins.The devil is also a powerful force which highlights youngfemales vulnerability.The court case plays a huge part in the development of the plotas it leaves the audience left with the choice in believing if she isjust suffering with a mental illness or if she is actually possessedby the devil. Court case instigates a disequilibrium to the plot,causing a problem for her family and the priest who believe sheis possessed and making it much more pleasurable view of thetrailer.We have chosen to include a similar plot as TEOER toinclude in our trailer, as we feel that is a perfect plot toincorporate in a Psychological thriller/Horror genre as it willfollow conventions within this genre e.g. possession, youngfemale etc. Also we wanted to base our trailer on a truestory and found that most trailers including this one, andParanormal Activity are actually based on a true storyallowing this trailer to be useful whilst developing a plot forour own. We also want to create a conflict of differentbeliefs, like the trailer of TEOER, however we are going todo this through what the doctors believe the young femalein our trailer has and what she herself actually believes. Weare going to challenge the way in which TEOERs trailershows their conflict in different beliefs as we are not goingto include as much dialogue as the trailer does; we feel thatit gives too much away and we would like to leave theaudience in suspense and to guess more on what happensdue to the clash of beliefs.
15. Target Audience TEOER;The age rating for this film is PG-13. For a typical horror film, this age rating is veryrare as well known horror films typically include age ratings of at least 15 and evenmore so, 18. This suggested that this film wasnt as scary on a horror scale as otherfilms with a higher age rating, however we felt that the idea of being possessed anddevilish behaviour had the potential to be conveyed through a increasingly disturbingand more scary film and ultimately a higher age rated film in example, Paranormalactivity who is rated a 15. The film is asking the viewer to examine their own beliefsabout life and death, religion and science therefore we felt that the target audience forthis film must be open to challenges thrown at them about what they really believeand what they dont; ultimately the viewer must have a close relationship with theirinner beliefs to be able to watch such conflicting controversy in a film. Typically, horrorfilms are aimed at a younger audience, 15-25, therefore as this film sits under thegenre of horror the film could appeal to a young audience who find pleasure insuspense and being scared. However as this film includes a dominant focus oncontroversial topics such as science and religion we can argue that these featuresmay appeal to an older audience as the study of religion and science connote history(an area which typically appeals to an older audience)Examples within the trailer which appeal to its target audience;-When Emily Rose is possessed (scary)- young audience.-Conventional aspects of horror-horror music, young female as the victim as well asthe protagonist, disequilibrium- audience are given what they expect from a horrorand results in an enjoyable and pleasurable watch.-Dialogue- In court- older audienceHow this will affect our trailer and our target audience?-When our protagonist is possessed- want to show our female characters devilishbehaviour to scare our younger audience and give them what they expect.-Conventional aspects of horror (young female as victim, horror music, disequilibrium)to give our audience what they expect, making it a pleasurable and suspensefulwatch.-Use of dialogue to suggest conflicting controversy in our trailer and to question whatthe audience believes like Emily Rose trailer- is she just mentally ill like the doctorssay or is she possessed by the devil? Used to appeal to an audience who want to bechallenged and examine their own belief and ultimately maybe an older audience togain a mass appeal.
16. Representation of Social Groups;-Religious people of society; through the priest and his practice ofthe exorcism on Emily Rose.-Lawyers and judges in court; instigate the disequilibrium in thetrailer, believe the priest performed an illegal procedure(Exorcism) on Emily Rose.HOW WILL THIS EFFECT OUR TRAILER AND WHO WEWANT TO REPRESENT;We aim to represent the social group of doctors in our trailerwhich challenges the presence of judges/lawyers used inTEOER. However we want the social group of doctors to stillserve the same purpose in our trailer as they do in TEOER, tocause controversy by raising the question to the audience is shejust mentally ill or is she possessed by the devil.