More than 50 percent of our organization is 50 years or older. We must adjust or we may not be relevant.
According to Extension Brand Value Research, 27% of US have heard of Cooperative Extension.*Andy Kleinschidmt *I have been running my blog for a year and had my all time traffic day yesterday because of this post I created- http://ff.im/-8ZuqSThis post has very little to do with my program BUT it does several things, most importantly is keeping Ohio State Univ Extension relevant and *part of the conversation*. The post was discussed on Twitter and Facebook by several ag media reps.flickr.com/photos/liewcf/3547134847/ Ask the question: What is your biggest reason for not adopting social media for professional use?
Most traditional marketing and advertisements are considered to be broadcasting. The purpose of social media implies that individuals and organizations interact in online environments. However, many organizations use social media to broadcast their messages and have not used social media tools to listen or interact. Because there is so much "noise" online, clients or potential clients ignore organizations' bull-horn messages. Broadcasting example: We can use Twitter to publicize a new blog post.
Influence happens in small social circles. Messages may or may not resonate as they are spread through other circles.http://www.flickr.com/photos/aafromaa/4476152633/ Think of online social circles like we think of face-to-face social circles
1. Social Media and Cooperative Extension Anne Mims Adrian, PhD email@example.com twitter.com/aafromaa blog.anneadrian.com slideshare.net/aafromaa March 10, 2011
2. Social media is SOCIALflickr.com/photos/yourdon/4049950966/
3. Social media is aboutRelationships flickr.com/photos/aafromaa/846487425/
4. Social Media is aboutSharingLearningCreatingPhoto: http://agnr.zenfolio.com/
5. Social media is media flickr.com/photos/liewcf/3547134847/
6. Social media provides flexibility efficiency scalability multi-purposing timeliness relevancy discoverability collaborationsflickr.com/photos/yourdon/2675323741/
7. 75% of U.S. adults use the Internet.
8. By 2013, 62% of web users or48% of US population will useFacebook.
9. Gen Y outnumberBaby Boomers.96% of themhave joinedsocialnetworks.flickr.com/photos/vermininc/3070779130/
10. 93% of Americans own a cell phoneflickr.com/photos/yourdon/3554487541/
11. How many have heard ofCooperative Extension?27% of U.S. adult population16% of U.S. 18-35 year oldsAre we where the people are?
29. What is being said on theweb google.com/alertsGoogle Alerts
30. Know what people aresaying search.twitter.comTwitter Searches
31. Set yourprioritiesbased onyour valuesflickr.com/photos/seekoh/1225991680/
32. Evaluate with newassumptions flickr.com/photos/goldberg/1376718557/
33. Be ready for fire hose effectflickr.com/photos/theclaytaurus/4184188053/
34. Participate flickr.com/photos/davidkohlmeyer/3393520471/Become part of the community
35. Utilize help and expertiseof others images.cals.ncsu.edu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2595
36. Write for SEO & clients Learn to understand & write for Search Engine Optimization. Learn to write for the community.
37. Choose the right tool. Adapt. Don’t . get tied to any one tool!flickr.com/photos/geishaboy500/100043823/
38. Integrate Social MediaAndy Kleinschmidt’s ExampleAgriculture in the Van Wert County Blog:agvanwert.wordpress.com/Twitter:twitter.com/akleinschmidtFacebook:www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Kleinschmidt/1385565024Linkedin:www.linkedin.com/pub/4/b19/4FriendFeed:friendfeed.com/akleinschmidtPlaxo:plaxo.com/directory/profile/214749075448/c303a248/Andy/KleinschmidtOrkut:www.orkut.comYammerwww.yammer.com/users/kleinschmidt-5Community of Science Expertise profile:http://myprofile.cos.com/aklein_1
39. Try Explore Learn “This ... is ridiculously simple.” Andy Kleinschmidtflickr.com/photos/coyotejack/2566090619/
40. Extension Social Media ParticipationeXtension Peopleextension.org/people/colleagues/socialnetworksA Cooperative Extension Twitter Listtwitter.com/aafromaa/cooperative-extensionA Cooperative Extension Twitter ListTwitter.com/CESValue/Cooperative-extension-2Facebook Cooperative Extension System Pagewww.facebook.com/cooperativeextension
41. ReferencesBrogan, Chris, Audience or Community chrisbrogan.com/audience-or-community/Hunt, Tara, The Whuffie FactorKleinschmidt, Andy, Agriculture in Van Wert County, Ohioagvanwert.wordpress.com/Sagor, Eli and Potyondy, Phillip Making Extension content more discoverablehttp://www.myminnesotawoods.umn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/MMW-discoverability-poster-for-FallConf2010-54x36.pdfScott, David Meerman, The New Rules of Marketing and PRThe Social Network Roadmap globalhumancapital.org/?p=675
42. ReferencesWhy Are Marketers So Bad At Measuring Social Media?blogs.forrester.com/marketing/2009/11/why-are-marketers-so-bad-at-measuring-social-media.html?cm_mmc=Ask-_-twitter-_-twitter-_-8275664Jeanette, Karen. Social Media: Why. Howhttp://www.slideshare.net/kjjeannette/osu-ext2010-countycoordinators1192010Why eXtension? about.extension.org/why-extension/
43. ResourcesExtension Social Media Guide (beginners)collaborate.extension.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_to_Social_Media_in_Extension/Social media in Cooperative (old list)collaborate.extension.org/wiki/Social_Media_in_ExtensionFind Extension colleagues in social mediawww.extension.org/people/colleagues/socialnetworksPenn State College of Agriculture Social Media BestPracticesagsci.psu.edu/communications/updates/2010/03/social-media-strategy-and-best-practicesAgrilife Extension Social Media Guidehttp://agrilifeweb.tamu.edu/us/social/
44. ResourcesSocial Media Tips and Ideas: Presentation for Extension CountyDirectors urbangarden.posterous.com/social-media-tips-and-ideasOhio Farm Bureau Social Media Guideofbf.org/uploads/social-media-guide.pdfCommon Craft Twitter in Plain Englishhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddO9idmax0oCommon Craft Blogs in Plain Englishhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2I1pWXjXICommon Craft Google Reader in Plain Englishhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSPZ2Uu_X3Y
45. ResourceseXtension Social Media Professional Development sessions:www.extension.org/learn/events/by_tag?tag=social+mediaFree Tools to Measure Your Influencewww.socialbrite.org/2010/12/16/12-free-tools-to-measure-your-social-influence/
46. Final ThoughtsShare your questions and ideas.Thank you for your participation.google.com/profiles/aafromaablog.anneadrian.comtwitter.com/aafromaaslideshare.net/aafromaa