1. Advertising online reinvented Tim van der Bilt, Country Manager Benelux of Platform-A
2. Agenda An intro to Platform-A How to get results from your online marketing spend Client Cases European Affiliate Marketing Poll - Results The future of Affiliate
3. Who is Platform-A? WORLDS’ LARGEST MEDIA COMPANY
4. Our Global Footprint Netherlands 65.6% reach 7.8 million unique users Affiliate | Display |Search USA: 89.5% Reach UK: 87.1% Norway: 76% Sweden: 76.2% Denmark: 75.9% Spain*: 76% France*: 87% Germany*: 82.6% Finland 79.6% Netherlands 65.6% EU: 61.1% Reach Source: comScore, Feb 2009, *Nielsen / NetRatings, Feb 2009 Platform-A properties
5. The challenge … Fragmented Media Landscape TV Online Radio Outdoor Print
6. Right person, right time, right message 6am 11pm Mobile internet on way to work Webmail check Checks news on main portal Browses niche affiliate site Surfing / Online shopping Streams Online Video Platform-A
7. How can we help? Performance Display Web Display activity leads users to the airline site to book flights A simultaneous Search campaign also drives online bookings Users who visit the site but do not convert can be retargeted via LeadBack Branding solutions such as NetBlocks can intensify the effects of these products and speed customer acquisition Book Now Affiliate activity drives volume from niche and specific sites flights Search Airline Site Affiliate
8. Our market leading technology and expertise has made us a preferred partner of TUIfly for 4 years “ The performance of the campaign has been a great success. We have seen huge number of planes filled with passengers on the back of this activity while maintaining a constant price. Platform-A has met our objectives and continues to surpass them.” Stefan Schaub, Head of E-Commerce, TUIfly.com Powerful proof: Sales Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 +627% +27% +117%
9. Launching Today!
10. buy.at and Affiliate marketing in Europe? Peter Wilson, European Product Manager buy.at
11. Current market… <ul><li>Fragmented European Market place: No one affiliate network can offer a total solution to advertisers or affiliates </li></ul><ul><li>Market varies greatly from country to country </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Types of Affiliate </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Number of networks </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Types of advertisers </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Affiliate marketing as part of the marketing mix </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Survey’s aim was to gain further understanding of these differences and look for common themes. </li></ul>
12. Who did we talk to? Focusing on Affiliates or Publishers
13. Who did we talk to? What are their genders? How many employees do you have?
14. Sectors and Types What sectors do you operate in? What type of affiliate would you describe yourself as?
15. What qualities do you look for in a Affiliate Network? Service!
16. “ Service!” “ Good User Interface” “ Merchants and commission” “ Strong client list in the area I work in” What do I like about my preferred network?
17. Service Technology Price Large Network The key hygiene factors for success
18. A sensitive subject – Vouchers Q: Voucher codes are a growing concern for merchants – to what extent do you agree with this statement?
19. Views on Vouchers “ The sale’s effectively been made by then” “ it overly complicates the process” “ devalues brands – people just wait until a voucher turns up before buying” “ You often have to backtrack to find the code once you see the code box – it’s a bad experience” “ It drives intent to purchase” “ It provides a feel good factor when you find one” “ Vouchers dramatically increase the Click Thru Rate” “ They really work well for retailers with a good reputation”
20. Search: specifically microsites combined with SEO on keywords, a dramatic increase in Search Engine dominance as they own the customer interface. Recession: Commissions being squeezed due to recessionary pressures and subsequent network consolidation Content: unless increasing amounts of good quality content are provided there is a risk of declining effectiveness. Content will drive new customers Traditional Media: Increasing integration with other media and major print media developing partnerships for their websites to bypass affiliates Regulation/rules/ethics: Better definition about ethical and good practice – and that these checks and balances are policed, particularly removing affiliates sending customers to sites under false pretences Vouchers: Perhaps they’ve had their day! – a feeling that there will be a clampdown possibly due to merchants following a trend rather than popularity waning The next couple of years… Your thoughts on key trends or things to look out for…
21. Conclusions <ul><li>The recession is causing pressure on margins </li></ul><ul><li>Despite every recession being unique, some things never change…service continues to be the main driver of business as people try to hunt for value as much as being price sensitized </li></ul><ul><li>Vouchers continue to be a contentious issue that divides opinion </li></ul><ul><li>Interesting the number of times that we talked about technology and pricing and how few times the consumer was referred to </li></ul><ul><li>Good content appears firmly in the sights of many affiliates </li></ul>
22. Why Platform A’s buy.at? <ul><li>Service is key – that’s why we are investing in staff on the ground in each country. </li></ul><ul><li>Regulations / rules / ethics – are core to our philosophy. </li></ul><ul><li>Problem solving through technology and innovation </li></ul>
23. Questions? <ul><li>Tim van der Bilt –Country Manager Benelux of Platform-A </li></ul><ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>Peter Wilson – European Product Manager buy.at </li></ul><ul><li>Peter.email@example.com </li></ul>