Graduate Lecture at the University of Maryland (August 2012). Learning Objective: Identify and explain how future regulatory applications of BCS may be realized in the context of ‘Quality by Design’.
Updated July 2013.
I wish to thank all the viewers of my Slideshare presentation of the development and application of the US FDA’s BCS Guidance 2000. Over 11K views have been recorded making this the 2nd highest viewed presentation. FDA is expected to issue a revised BCS draft guidance in the next few weeks. Expected changes include the following:
1. Addition of ‘very rapid’ dissolution criteria (>85% in 15 minutes)
2. Change permeability boundary from 90% to 85%
3. Change the pH solubility range from 1 – 7.5 to 1 – 6.8
4. Possibility of changing paddle speed from 50 to 75 rpm.
5. Additional topics / clarification on FDCs (Fixed Dose Combinations), ODTs (Orally Disintegrating Tablets), MR (Modified Release) products.
6. Update the list of model drugs.
7. Strengthen GI stability requirement.