1. MEDIA EVALUATION:QUESTION 2HOW EFFECTIVE IS THECOMBINATION OF YOURMAIN PRODUCT ANDANCILLARY TEXTS?B Y J E S S I C A O L D S
2. We had to work in groups of 4 to create adocumentary and two ancillary texts,which consisted of a radio trailer and adouble page spread to promote ourdocumentary in a TV listings magazine.These had to appeal to are targetaudience as the marketing of the productis key to its success. We had to makesure that it was clear all three productslinked with each other.
3. TARGET AUDIENCEAs a group we researched and discussed which targetaudience would best suit are documentary and afterlots of research and discussion we decided that aretarget audience would be male and female betweenthe ages of 13-24. We came to this decision becausewhen looking into the main ages of people whoillegally download this was the main age group, sonaturally we chose to target are product at them asthey are the people who would have an interest inthe final products because of the subject matter. Wealso wanted to target the main offenders as wewould hope the documentary would show them thedamage to the industry there actions are causing.We haven’t a specific religion or race that we feelwould suit this documentary subject better as fromresearch it showed all races and religions illegally
4. PRODUCT CONNECTION AND APPEALThe TV listings advert and double page spread linkedvery well with our documentary and reflected thechosen target audience well. We choose specificscreenshots of the documentary so that the readershad an insight into what they should expect to see inthe documentary, we choose to screenshot theyoungest professional interviewee as we felt that thiswould reflect the target audience more giving thedocumentary more appeal to the right target audience.We also used a variation of different images such asshots of free music app’s on Itunes, which alsoallowes the readers to relate, as from are research wewere able to see that nearly 90% of illegal downloadersused an app from ITunes.
5. TV LISTINGS CHOICEWe chose to list are article in the “Whats on TV ” magazine as we feel itis a more appealing magazine choicefor are target audience thatsomething such as “the radio time’s”which has a much older targetaudience. We also feel that the typeof magazine style suits our articlemore, as the bright colours andinformality of the magazine all linkinto are article.
6. We chose an upbeat but techno sound to aremusic trailer including clips from thedocumentary and decided to keep the samevoiceover as we felt this would link well withthe documentary. We chose are clips to befrom the interviews we carried out and ourvox pops so the listeners could hear therange of opinions and also listen to peoplethere own age talk about it helping them torelate. We felt that the combination of thiswith the documentary all linked very well andwould appeal equally as much as the doublepage spread.RADIO TRAILER
7. We chose BBC radio 1 to be the selectedradio station we would play are trailer on,as its target audience and appeal it alsothe same as ours, and even thoughinformal the listen knows its a wellestablished company. Not only that butseeing as we chose to air ourdocumentary on BBC 3 it would be fittingto keep it with the BBC. We felt that radio2 listeners would be older and wouldntfind are documentary appealing and alsothe same with the other radio stations.We did look into bbc radio 1xtra butlooking at the distribution amount wesaw that radio 1 had a significantly largeramount than 1xtra.RADIO TRAILER DISTRIBUTION CHOICE