Winter’s BoneDavid HubbardMrs. ClineEnglish 10223 February 2012
Character Analysis• Ree Dolly ▫ She is a strong willed young woman. She is a raising her brothers and caring for her sick mother. Ree despises her father and does not trust men. She has lesbian tendencies towards her only friend, Gail. Ree dreams of joining the Army to escape the her turmoil and pain. She is desperately searching for her father, who skipped bond.
• Jessup Dolly (Dad) ▫ A middle aged man, husband and father of three. He is a meth addict as well as a meth cook. This has landed him on the wrong side of the road with the law, several times. He had an affair with April, a kindergarten teacher, for several years. Jessup will promise the world, if it gets him out of something undesirable.
• Connie Dolly (Mom) ▫ Mom lost her mind and is physically dependent on Ree. Ree believes that she choose to become this way to escape from her hardships and the pain/problems that Jessup brought. In her youth, she was described as charismatic, beautiful and spontaneous. Mom had multiple affairs while Jessup was in prison and was open about them to Ree.
• Sonny and Harold Dolly (Brothers) ▫ Younger brothers to Ree. The boy are 18 months apart and inseparable. Sonny the older brother is a fighter, which often leads to trouble in the family. Ree is teaching the boys how to survive, if she does not return. She hopes the boys do not become “Dolly’s.” She even fought with her father against naming them traditional “Dolly” names.
• Teardrop (Uncle) ▫ Older brother to Jessup. He is also a meth addict, dealer, and cook. Spent time in prison. Married to Victoria, a compassionate women, who tries to help Ree. Teardrop is the only man in the novel who helps Ree financially and on her quest to find her father. Ree is scared of him and at times he threatens her physically and verbally.
• Gail Langan (Friend) ▫ Had a shotgun wedding to, Floyd, the man that impregnated her in a one night stand. Abusive relationship with husband and family in-law, who never really wanted her. She has a son Ned, who is an infant. Gail and Ree have been best friends since grade school.
• Floyd Langan ▫ Young man struggling with alcoholism and heart break. He is unhappily married to Gail and has a son with her. Floyd is mentally and verbally abusive to his family. He is having an affair with his old lover Heather Powney.
• Thrump Family ▫ Are believed to have knowledge about Ree’s father’s where abouts. They are related by blood, but are divided by past history. Mr. and Mrs. Thrump hold the power in the community. Meth cookers.• Little Arthur ▫ Gave Ree mushrooms and rapped her. He is a meth addict and still desires Ree.
• Blond and Sonya Milton ▫ Are neighbors and relatives of Ree. They help to provide food for the family. They offered to take and raise Sonny, which Ree refused. Blond also lies and tries to fool Ree about her father’s disappearance. They help Ree when she is beaten, by giving her pain meds.