Social Media for Social Good using
by David J. Neff
• By the year 2005, Americans will spend more time on
the Internet than watching network television and
videocassette rentals will have been replaced by easily
available video-on-demand services.”
- Nicholas Negroponte (1995, The Future of News)
• “Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for
the unlimited carnage you are about to witness”
- Dan Akroyd to Eddie Murphy in “Trading Places”
• Social Media needs to be defined as a
group think mentality around your
• People are going to talk about your
• Deal with it. Encourage it.
SharingHope.TV - Features
-Upload video, photos, audio and artwork
-Twice the space of YouTube for your videos
- Users can leave comments to each other and rate
- Simple Help videos explain how to create and upload
- National launch partner with relayforlife.org
- Ability to post videos on Facebook, MySpace,
Typepad, Blogger, The LINK and Societyconnect.org
SharingHope.TV - Benefits
-Helps our constituents share their story (no
- Helps move the mission by sharing stories
from real people
- Helps showcase our events and how they
- Every video has the option to donate
- Shows the Society can do cutting edge
VMIX API with ZEND
-Media Encoder. Automatically encode your raw media file and
retain a high definition master file, keeping both easily accessible
in your library.
- Groups are used to categorize and share media. of a hierarchical
taxonomy to organize the media files in the account.
-Flash Player. Tailor your Flash media player to your size,
advertising, and viewing requirements using our flexible APIs.
-Audio Management and Player Automatically encode and
manage audio files in MP3 format.
-Social Media Tools Promote distribution of your media content
MySpace, Send to a Friend, submission links to Digg and
Del.icio.us, RSS feeds, all with links back to your Web site.
Slicehost gives us a Home
We currently have 2 slices.
-Virtual servers Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)
which means they run as individual
servers within a main server.
- 256 MB RAM, 10 GB disk space and
100 GB bandwidth per month.
-One devoted to SQL. Running rails.
- One provides hosting for sharinghope.tv
Ruby shaves Time
-Entire registration system created in
- SharingHope.TV runs Ruby 2.0 using
-Project Mgmt software “Redmine”
created in Ruby
Open ID invites community
-Custom OpenID variation
- OpenID consumer as well