Ambassador Zara Jane Juan,Internet Journalist, Peace Ambassador, Author & Professional Resource SpeakeratClimate Change Wellness for Peace, Innovative Mind & Body Personality Dev, Sailing for Peace
Colors of Wellness by Ms. Zara Jane JuanPresentation Transcript
WellnessMind + Body + Spirit + Environment___________________________ = Good Economics = Peace
In the recent report of the World Health Organization, Lifestyle diseases such as stroke, cancer, diabetes, Obesity & hypertension claimed the lives of men and women at their prime age leaving their family behind and a fruitful career that suppose to bring a big difference in the development of the economy worldwide. It is in this call that Wellness Series on Tour was born in 2008 with the aim of educating & inspiring everyone to protect one’s own health through the host’s formula of wellness in mind, body, environment & economics as tools for peace & nation building Supported by wellness practitioners & health advocates now aptly called ZARA (Zone of Advocates for Refinement Anywhere), it received citations and endorsements from The Office of the President NCRFW, NCDA,Philippine Heart Center, Philippine Lung Center, Philippine Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, businesses & civic clubs Wellness Tour became a regular need of private offices, government agencies, civic organizations nationwide.
• Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health • WHO > Programmes and projects > Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity & Health• Unhealthy diets and physical inactivity are two of the main risk factors for raised blood pressure, raised blood glucose, abnormal blood lipids, overweight/obesity, and for the major chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and diabetes. • Overall, 2.7 million deaths are attributable to low fruit and vegetable intake . • Overall, 1.9 million deaths are attributable to physical inactivity.
Purpose of Stress &Ways to Manage it
• Body’s Stress Response • The stress response is • the body’s way of protecting you.• When working properly, it helps you stay focused, energetic, and alert. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
• When you perceive a threat, your nervous system responds by releasing a flood of stress hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones rouse the body for emergency action. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
• Your heart pounds faster, muscles tighten, blood pressure rises, breath quickens, and your senses become sharper. These physical changes increase your strength and stamina, speed your reaction time, and enhance your focus – preparing you to either fight or flee from the danger at hand. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
health problems caused by stress • Pain of any kind • Heart disease • Digestive problems • Sleep problems • Depression • Obesity • Autoimmune diseases • Skin conditions http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms Cognitive Symptoms • Memory problems • Inability to concentrate • Poor judgment • Seeing only the negative • Anxious or racing thoughts • Constant worryinghttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms Physical Symptoms • Aches and pains • Diarrhea or constipation • Nausea, dizziness • Chest pain, rapid heartbeat • Loss of sex drive • Frequent coldshttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms Emotional Symptoms • Moodiness • Irritability or short temper • Agitation, inability to relax • Feeling overwhelmed • Sense of loneliness and isolation • Depression or general unhappinesshttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms Behavioral Symptoms • Eating more or less • Sleeping too much or too little • Isolating yourself from others • Procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities • Using alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs to relax • Nervous habits (e.g. nail biting)http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
How do you respond to stress?• Foot on the gas – An angry or agitated stress response. You’re heated, keyed up, overly emotional, and unable to sit still. • Foot on both – A tense and frozen stress response. You “freeze” under pressure and can’t do anything. You look paralyzed, but under the surface you’re extremely agitated. • Foot on the brake – A withdrawn or depressed stress response. You shut down, space out, and show very little energy or emotion. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Factors that Result in Job StressJob stress could be as a result of a number of factors, which can be broadly classified into (1) external factors relating to organization and work-family conflicts, and (2) internal factors. http://tejas-iimb.org/articles/24.php
• Common external causes of stress• Major life changes• Work• Relationship difficulties• Financial problems• Being too busy• Children and family• Stress can also be self- generated:• Inability to accept uncertainty• Pessimism• Negative self-talk• Unrealistic expectations• Perfectionism• Lack of assertiveness http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
Wellness in Mind & Body Focusing & Breathing exercises
Breath…detox…focus… Nourish…. …..relax…
Wellness in MindDetoxifying the mind Workshop (Storyboarding)
Group Dynamics Out of the Box
Wellness in MindDetoxifying the mind Workshop (Storyboarding 2)
STRESS MANAGEMENT sound mind healthy body nurtured spirit
Healthy BodyWellness Food
Sound mind PersonalityEnhancement
How can our Personality contributes to Stress? Personalitiesconsist of our emotions, memory, thoughts, physical look, dreams,imaginations, reactions, attitude, habit, etc.
Personalities= given by birth= acquired
•To manage stress is to find your Voice Personality•Think, what it is
•What is that Personality that you want to develop…
… the Personalitythat you wantother people tosee in you…
For Proper Nourishment check out this Food Pyramid as our Nutrition Guide per day
And we need to eat or drinkFresh fruits & vegetables@ 2-5 servings per day.
• It is important to consume fruits and vegetables everyday in big dosage to provide the fiber to flush out dirt and toxins in our body.• The more we eat carbo & meat, its double and triple more needs of fiber in our body to digest and keep our colons clean, making us safer to cancer and other diseases
For effective dailyDetoxification, try out the Rainbow Diet
• Rainbow Diet is eating and drinking fresh fruits and vegetables of a variety of different colors everyday to get the best all-around health benefits coz each one contains unique health components that are essential to our health.
CABBAGE Combats Prevents Promotes Protects your Helps cancer constipation weight loss heart hemorrhoidsCARROTS Saves Protects Prevents Combats Promotes eyesight your heart constipation cancer weight lossCAULIFLO Protects Combats Strengthen Banishes GuardsWER against breast s bones bruises against prostate cancer heart cancer diseaseBANANAS Protects Quiets Strengthen Controls Blocks your cough bones blood diarrhea heart pressureCHILI Aids Soothes Clears Combats BoostsPEPPERS digestion sore throat sinuses cancer immune system
Mga Pagkain na may Taglay na Anti-Oxidant
GRAPE Protects Promotes Helps Combats LowersFRUIT against heart weight loss stops prostate cholesterol attack strokes cancerGREEN Combats Protects Helps Promotes KillsTEA cancer your heart stops weight loss bacteria strokesMANGOES Combats Boosts Regulates Aids digestion Shields cancer memory thyroid against Alzheimer’sMUSHROOM Controls Lowers Kills Combats StrengthenS blood cholesterol bacteria caner bones pressureOATS Lowers Combats Battles Prevents Smoothes cholesterol cancer diabetes constipation skin
Mga Pagkain na may Taglay na Anti-Oxidant
ONIONS Reduced Combats Kills Lowers Fights risks of heart cancer bacteria cholesterol fungus attackPEANUTS Protects Promotes Combats Lowers against weight loss prostate cholesterol heart cancer diseasePINEAPPLE Strengthen Relieves Aids Dissolves bones colds digestion wartsTOMATOES Protects Combats Lowers Protects your prostate cancer cholesterol heartWATER Promotes Combats Conquers Smoothes weight loss cancer kidney skin stones
Wellness in Environment
FYI: The Philippines as an archipelago is considered aclimate hotspot and is ranked4th in the Global Climate Risk Index, with 20 out of 80provinces vulnerable to one- meter rise in sea level. Source: International Alert Report 2007
Poverty and mismanagement face a high risk of violentconflict with domino effect on: Political Instability Economic Weakness Food Insecurity Large Scale Migration
Wellness in Environment Peace Building
PEACE BUILDING engaging everyone’s energies wherever you are in a social process to work outon how to adapt to the changing climateand how to handle conflicts as they arise so that it will not lead to violence.