5. Uh oh.“Pointsification” doesn’t work. And it’s annoying.
6. “Badges”Badges are like e-mails. People respond to them if they mean something.
7. Feedback loops• Badges• Points• Leaderboards • 64x64 pixel image• Social notifications • AmEx Black card • Frequent Flyer miles • Military Medal • “CEO” on a business card
8. Good GamificationUses models from Psychology, Loyalty design, Neuroscience, Game Design to apply key feedback loops at the right time in the right context to get people to do stuff.
10. THE MARKETER’S CHALLENGEThree key imperatives for today’s marketers remain… ACQUISITION RETENTION CONVERSION How do I get How do I keep How do I get them to spend more customers? them over time? more money?
11. MASSIVE INVESTMENTSIn key technologies & programs to driveacquisition, retention and conversions… $40B In Online Ad Spend $1.5B In Online Communities $26B In SEM On Loyalty In Social Media In Marketing $50B Programs $4.8B Ad Spend $25B Software Sources: McKinsey, Gartner, IDC, 6S Marketing, BIA/Kelsey
12. DESPITE BIG INVESTMENT….We’re knee deep in an engagement crisisLow Adoption Few Converting Customers Who See Average Online16% Facebook Brand Updates 3% Conversion Rates28% Visitors Actually Login 65% Abandon Shopping CartsLimited Loyalty Customers Swayed25% by a Brand Customers Inactive in55% Loyalty Programs Sources: Gartner, FMC, Forrester, Colloquy, Statista
13. THREE KEY IMPERATIVESFor today’s enterprises… OPTIMIZE FOSTER ENHANCE EMPLOYEE BUSINESS PROCESS COLLABORATION PERFORMANCE How do we serve How do we break down How do we get more from customers better? knowledge silos? our employees?
14. MASSIVE INVESTMENTSIn key technologies to optimize business process, fostercollaboration, and enhance employee performance… $1 Trillion in software spend last five years $12 BillionSoftware CRM in $1 Billion in Social Software $4.5 Billion in Support & Services Software $15 Billion in HR and Learning Software $25 Billion in Marketing Software Sources: Gartner, Ovum, IDC, and Bersin
15. DESPITE BIG INVESTMENT….We’re knee deep in an engagement crisisBroken Business Process Underperforming Teams Average adoption of Employees disengaged50% enterprise apps 70% at work Provide consistent customer Employees with adequate skill sets 1% service & support 5% to maximize performance experienceLimited Collaboration Enterprise communities70% that fail from poor adoption Workers that actually12% use social software Sources: Forrester, Gartner Neochange, Gallup, CEB
17. Feedback loops Game Mechanics Reputation Mechanics Social Mechanics
18. GAME MECHANICSUse virtual rewards, for behaviors big and small…Examples Instant Feedback Encourage valuable behaviors in real- time with points and progress bars Achievements & Awards Deliver rewards that showcase strong performance and highlight expertise Missions & Challenges Guide employees to interact with process or content
19. REPUTATION MECHANICSShowcase employee expertiseExamples Champion Top Performers Across departments or teams Showcase Mastery By creating different levels of achievement across the enterprise Expertise Tracks Highlight expertise in specific content or business processes
20. SOCIAL MECHANICSConnect employees with relevantpeople, content, and processExamples Activity Streams Empower employees to discover relevant process and content in their app of choice Finding & Following Connect them with like-minded colleagues Real-time Notifications Deliver them alerts as they happen across enterprise
22. ProcessDetermine Business Goals Determine Key Behaviors Examine Context of Behaviors Apply Appropriate Mechanics
23. Business GoalsIf it can’t be measured, it’s not a good business goal. Business Goals Behaviors Context Mechanics
24. Determine key behaviors What does the target audienceneed to do in order to achieve the business goals? Business Goals Behaviors Context Mechanics
25. Examine the context Online or Offline? Social or Asocial?Competitive or Collaborative? Business Goals Behaviors Context Mechanics
26. Examine the context Demographics: Male / Female? Age Group? Culture / Nationality? Business Goals Behaviors Context Mechanics
27. Apply the mechanicsWhat feedback loop is missing totrigger, motivate or make easier the behavior? Business Goals Behaviors Context Mechanics
28. Behavior =Motivation, Ability, Trigger From the work of BJ Fogg
30. ONLINE EDUCATIONLack of student engagementBusiness goals: - Increase average grades - Decrease fail rate
31. ProcessDetermine Business Goals Determine Key Behaviors Examine Context of Behaviors Apply Appropriate Mechanics