Tinyiko Irene Ndlala
and Stand up
1. Defining Online Management
2. My Communities
3. Types of Communities
4. Why we need Community Management
5. Managers Role beyond Community Management
6. Many Hats a Community Manager wears
7. Value of Community Management
8. What it Takes
9. My Experience
4. What is online Community
An online community is a group of people interacting, sharing and
working toward a common goal.
5. Types of Social Networks
Which ones do you belong to?
6. My Communities
7. Types of Communities
No longer personal journals
• Many business and individuals use blogs
to make money and bring in business.
• Likes and Shares
• Blogs tend to be more content heavy and
are more likely to catch the attention of
search engines like Google or Bing.
9. Social Networks
Twitter , YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
10. Facebook Pages
Businesses also use Facebook fan pages to invite customers in
order to create a community of participants.
11. Why we need online community
12. TWO key people that need to be made happy: the
Customer and the Client.
You need to ensure that everything runs smoothly
and also understand how people socialize in
communities to ensure success!
13. Managers Role Beyond Moderation
14. Keep Communication Channels Open
Join a business or brand’s
Help to discover customers
opinions, concerns, etc
Convey feedback to both
15. Attract New Members
Share news and events on social networks
Offers perks and discounts
Attend conferences and meet-ups
16. Focus on goals and policies
Not Just Tweets and Updates!!
Community management falls within larger part of a strategy.
Content need to be in line with goals and objectives of the client.
CHALLENGE: Achieving these goals while following company
policies and guidelines
17. Create contentAlso forms part of the strategy.
Content needs to satisfy both the client and the customer.
Most important objective: Ensure that customers engage with
the brand/business actively.
18. 5 Hats a Community Managers Wears
“Community managers aren’t necessarily appointed because of their
sparkling wit….the best community managers are leaders ”
20. Content Developer
Updates to the social networks
21. Moderator and Community Advocate
Direct the conversation and keep people in check.
You can hide comments , block people or give
You need to know understand the trends on your online communities!
Is it growing? How are your people interacting, PTAT?
23. Value of Online Community
24. People have a place to belong
25. Meet with like minded people
26. Promote a product or service
Creating Brand or personal awareness
The tools help with daily community
29. What it takes to be an online
30. Must haves!
Qualification in the Communications field
A Way with Words