• This is a Social Media audit of the Top 5 Banks in
• The time frame of the data analysed is from the
9th September – 9th October 2013.
• The Social Media Channel analysed for the audit
• The data source for the report is all from the
Facebook Likes and People talking about this tab.
• The metrics that were analysed for this report are
Fans and Engagement.
3. Standard Bank
4. Standard Bank
5. Standard Bank
Standard Bank reached peak performance on the 18th September
because of the Ultimate Braai master content.
Nedbank reached peak performance on the 6th October because
of the ‘Zahara – Phendula Tour content.’
9. Capitec Bank
10. Capitec Bank
11. Capitec Bank
Capitec reached peak performance on the 26th September
because of the Release of the Capitec App.
ABSA reached peak performance on the 9th September because of
the ABSA Currie Cup .
FNB reached peak performance on the 19th September because of
the ‘Did you know’: Street Art Fact update.
• FNB is the bank with most
Fans on Facebook.
• 84% of FNB fans are South
• 86% of ABSA fans are South
• 88% of Capitec Fans are
• 86% of Standard bank fans
are South African
• 90% of Nedbank Fans are
There are 9.6 million South African Facebook users
This graph illustrates the % of South African Facebook users who are
fans of the banks
23. Engagement Rate
• FNB has the highest “People
talking about this” score.
• FNB only engages with 1.9%
of their Fans.
• ABSA has the 2nd Highest
“People talking about this
• ABSA engages with 2.8% of
• ABSA has the highest
• Johannesburg is the most popular city in the
Banking industry on Facebook.
• People aged 25 – 34 are the most popular
demographic in the Banking industry on
• On average a bank in South Africa engages
with 1.7% of its Fans.
• Most Banks use Facebook as a promotional
tool and for customer service.