South African Social Media Banking Industry Report
Social Media Audit Industry
Report - Banks
• This is a Social Media audit of the Top 5 Banks in
• The time frame of the data analysed is from the
9th September – 9th October 2013.
• The Social Media Channel analysed for the audit
• The data source for the report is all from the
Facebook Likes and People talking about this tab.
• The metrics that were analysed for this report are
Fans and Engagement.
• FNB is the bank with most
Fans on Facebook.
• 84% of FNB fans are South
• 86% of ABSA fans are South
• 88% of Capitec Fans are
• 86% of Standard bank fans
are South African
• 90% of Nedbank Fans are
There are 9.6 million South African Facebook users
This graph illustrates the % of South African Facebook users who are
fans of the banks
• FNB has the highest “People
talking about this” score.
• FNB only engages with 1.9%
of their Fans.
• ABSA has the 2nd Highest
“People talking about this
• ABSA engages with 2.8% of
• ABSA has the highest
• Johannesburg is the most popular city in the
Banking industry on Facebook.
• People aged 25 – 34 are the most popular
demographic in the Banking industry on
• On average a bank in South Africa engages
with 1.7% of its Fans.
• Most Banks use Facebook as a promotional
tool and for customer service.