1. Is Social Networking Something
Advertisers Can Ignore ?
... Or Is It The Next “Hype” ?
BMMA – 24th January 2008
2. What are your 2008 Business Challenge ?
• The Network as Platform
• Eco Business Opportunities
• New Geopolitics
• Volatile Markets
• Dollar Decline
• Soft Skills
• Social Networking
– Learn to effectively utilize social networking tools both inside
and outside the companies to keep up with what the younger
workers grew up with — fast and furious communication
tools like texting, facebook, My Space, You Tube, etc. that
spread the word now.
– Not in the next quarter, next month, next week or even next
day, but NOW.”
3. 3 Questions …
• Social Network Definition & Reality in Belgium ?
• Hype ?
• Integration in the Communication Mix ?
4. Some (Good Old) Theories
about Social Network
• Émile Durkheim and Ferdinand
Tönnies (Late 1800’s)
– Gemeinschaft & Gesellschaft
• John A. DunBar (1956)
– Rule of 150
• Stanley Milgram (1967)
– Little World Experiment
– 6 Degrees of Separation
• Social Network
– Social structure made of nodes
(which are generally individuals)
that are tied by one or more
specific types of
interdependency, such as
values, visions, idea, friends,
conflict, trade, web links,
disease transmission, etc
6. Social Network Services
• Social media describes the online technologies and practices
that people use to share opinions, insights, experiences, and
perspectives with each other.
Communication Self Expression
7. Social Network Services
Communication Self Expression
8. Concretelly …
9. Hype ?
The Gartner Graph !
• Extreme promotion of a person, idea, or product
• To give something more attention that it deserves or to try
to make it seem more important than it really is
10. Hype Estimation – Google Trends
(Belgium – 2007)
Second Facebook Google
11. Hype – Gartner Graph
Rough Belgian Market Exercise
Fastest Growth Ever ? (+224% in 15 days)
Facebook Statistics 2008 : New Members Figures
14. Belgian Blogs Intensive Competition
Reach (Source: Comscore)
Windows Live Spaces Skynetblogs.be
15. Stickyness ? Days x Time Spent
Average minute per visits
1,0 3,0 5,0 7,0 9,0 11,0 13,0 15,0
Average Usage Days per Visitor
16. “Web 2.0” as an incumbator ...
Harnessing the collective intelligence
Lightweight programming models (Mash Up,...)
Unique, hard-to-recreate data sources
Above the level of single device
The web as platform
Leveraging the long tail through customer self-service
… of the Social Network Services
17. Long Tail & Social Services
Portal / Dailies
Participative Services – Blog – Social Services
Volume of Content
18. From 15 Minutes of Fame to “Microcelebrity…”
Everyone is a Little Brad Pitt...
The phenomenon of
not to millions but to a
small group — a
thousand people, or
maybe only a few
Source: Clive Thompson, 27th Nov 07, in http://www.wired.com
19. Any Time, Any Place, Any Device !
-> Single Source – Pluri Device
22. Brand in the social channels world:
(Remember) Market are conversations !
Natural Habits Loss Control Source of
How to make the conversation more interesting ?
23. In Other Words ...
24. The New Influencers – 1 % Rule
If you get a group of people online
then will create content,
10 will quot;interactquot; with it
(commenting or offering improvements)
and the other will just view it
Source: The Guardian Unlimited
25. Empower The Conversation !
26. Tailored Advertising Solution
27. Develp your own community !
Example: Map + Pictures + Comments + …
28. Live Targeting
29. Threat ? Too Obvious !
Beacon = Enable your customers to share the
actions they take on your website with their
30. Mass & Social - UG Media Moneytization
31. Hype – Gartner Graph
Belgian Communication Channels
32. As a conclusion ...
• Social Networking (and especially Facebook) is
definitively ―THE Hype‖ of 2007 winter
– When will it reach is plateau of Productivity ?
– Privacy ?
• Social Networking need & empower the web applications
• Social Networking marketing is about communicating, not
– We have to act appropriately following the social rules of the
• Mass & Social Media are equal part of the conversation.
The art will be, as usual, in the mix !
33. Hugues Rey
Mobile : +32 496 26 06 88
Fixed Line : +32 2 464 93 61
Messenger : firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype : Yugsxiii
Second Life avatar :
Thanks for listening !