• What is Ethical Hacking?
• Who are ethical hackers?
• History of hacking
• Types of hackers
• Ways to hack a system
• Preventing hacking
• FUTURE OF ETHICAL HACKING
• Hacking refers to the re-
configuring or re-programming
of a system to function in ways
not facilitated by the owner,
administrator , or designer.
• The greatest risk I.T. faces is
• Hacking refers practice of
breaking into systems.
•Ethical hacking- also known as
penetration testing or intrusion
testing or red teaming has become a
major concern for businesses and
•Companies are worried about the
possibility of being “hacked” and
potential customers are worried
about maintaining control of
•Necessity of computer security
professionals to break into the
systems of the organization.
Who are ethical hackers
The skills ethical hackers should
• They must be completely
• Should have very strong
programming and computer
networking skills and have been in
networking field for several years.
•Should have more patience.
•Continuous updating of the knowledge on
computer and network security is
•They should know the techniques of the
criminals, how their activities might be
detected and how to stop them.
History of hacking
• the term “hack” was first used by us
university staff in mid-1960s .
• When eBay was first attacked in February
2000 its server was bombarded with fake
request for web pages & overloaded the
• A group of teenagers once hacked into AOL
and stole credit cards to buy video games.
• In 1986, after many more break-ins
congress passed “computer fraud and
• In 1989,german hackers arrested
for breaking into US computer ;
sold the information to Soviet
• In 1998, teenager hacks into bell
Atlantic phone system; disabled
communication at airports
disables runway lights.
• in 2000, viruses named “i ove you”
& “love bug” damaged roughly up
to 10 billions of computers.
Types Of Hacker
Black Hat Hacker
• A black hat hackers or crackers
are individuals with
skills, resorting to malicious or
destructive activities. That is
black hat hackers use their
knowledge and skill for their own
personal gains probably by hurting
White Hat Hacker
•White hat hackers are those
individuals professing hacker
skills and using them for
defensive purposes. This means
that the white hat hackers
use their knowledge and skill
for the good of others and for
the common good.
Ways To Hack a System
• VIRUSES & WORMS- they are self-
replicating programs or codes
• They attach themselves to other
programs (viruses) or machines
• They shut networks by flooding them.
• ROUGE ACCESS POINT- they are
unsecured wireless access point that
outsiders can easily breech.
• Are most often connected by well-
meaning but ignorant employees.
• BACK DOORS- they are loop holes in
• With the aid of computerized
searchers (bots) , hackers can
probably find any weakness in
• TROJAN HORSES- they enter system by
attaching themselves to other
• When Trojans are activated , this
hacked software kicks off viruses in
• Denial Of Services- this attacks
gives hackers a way to bring down
the network without internal
• It floods the access router with
(i.e. e-mail or TCP ,packets).
● Phreaks- they use computer to break
into telecommunications network.
● Script kiddies- they have inadequate
technical information & use
available information to break into
• Anti-virus: the most popular method of
protection among personal computers.
• Mc Afee.com Corp.- provides antivirus
software that scans hard drive’s for
• Norton Internet Security- Norton anti
virus 2008 secures system from
• Firewalls: used for computer networks
& users using continuous online
Other software options- other options
are used to protect larger networks
IDS- Intrusion Detection System is
considered one of best protection
Content Filtering Software- advanced
antivirus software that reads
compressed files .Allows IT mangers
get filtering to block threatening e-
Sand Boxing-helps to read malicious
• At present, security on the Internet
is very poor and ethical hacking can
be one of the most effective ways to
fix serious security problems like
• The information entrusted to the
companies is required to be
protected against all kinds of
attacks by crackers, which makes
their future promising.
FUTURE OF ETHICAL HACKING