What is it? Error correction : Error correction is some mistake from students related with writing and utterance. The main point of this method is to highlight some key areas to correct the error from the students.
The Highlight key areas to error correction 1. Attitudes to error correction 2. Categories errors 3. A model for correcting writing 4. The role of planning 5. Practical techniques / ideas for correcting writing
1. Attitudes to Error Correction In this method correction not only among teachers but also among students. But there are some aspect should be remember for the teacher: The fact that english is their second language and great emphasis was placed on correctness at their training college. The fact that as native speaker they have never had to worry about their english
Continued... c. A particular methodology / approach. The old method used Audiolingualism to approach the error. But the development of mehod has develop to Natural approach, Suggestopedia and TPR. The newest methology emphasises on the psychological effect to correct the error students
2. Categorising Errors Teacher can categories an error by the reason: a. What the reason for the error? b. It is the result of random guess c. It was produced while testing out hypotheses d. It is a slip of the , a lapse, a mistake.
Points to know the students interlanguage 1. Lexical error (Vocabulary) 2. A phonological error (Pronounciation) 3. A syntactic error (Grammar) 4. An interpretive error (Misunderstanding of speakers intention or meaning) 5. A pragmatic error(Failure to aplly the rules of conversation)
3. A Model for Correcting Writing In this method that should be remember that our message must be clear the first time. Written errors are also less tolerated than spoken errors outside the classroom.
Model for correcting written work and evaluate your teaching situation: 1. Comprehensibility Can you undertand the output? Are these areas of incoherence? Do these affect the overall message? Does communication break down? 2. Task Has the student addressed the task? 3. Syntax and Lexis Are they appropriate to the task? Are they accurate?
4. The Role of Planning Giving the students some time to designed they writing skill or given them the guideline when they try to improve their writing skill: 1. What am i going to write? 2. What layout do i need? 3. What information am i going to include? 4. How many paragraphs do i need? 5. What gammar am i going to use? 6. What linking words am i going to use?
5. Practical Techniques In the last method / approches to correction the error are: 1. Training students to edit In this activities help the students to develop their editing skills in a fun way.
For examples: a. Grammar Auctions Students receive a number of sentence taken from their written work. And then they have to correct ones in the auction. The team with the most correct sentences win the game. b. Mistake Mazes Students have list of sentences. Their route through a maze depends on whether the sentence right and wrong.
2. Correction Technique There are several techniques to correction the error students in writing: a. Using a different colour above, underline examples of appropriate language. b. Correct errors by writing the correct forms in their place. c. Use codes in the margin to identify the type of error. Alternatively put crosses in the margin for the number of error each line, students then try to identify the errors and make correction
d. Put students into pair /groups. They correct each other . e. From time to time give students an individual breakdown of recuring problems