1. Y Service Clubs InternationalInternational Projects
2. Roll Back Malaria (RBM) &The International Federation of Red Cross/Red Crescent Societies(IFRC)RBM IFRC & YMI• The RBM Partnership is the • In 2008, Y’s Service Clubs global framework for International donated funds to coordinated action against the IFRC to support the work malaria. of the RBM Partnership ▫ 188,357 CHF• It forges consensus among key actors in malaria control, • Around 25,000 nets were harmonises action and purchased and distributed in mobilises resources to fight Sierra Leone. malaria in endemic countries.
3. Alliance for Malaria Prevention• YMI was invited to become a partner in the Alliance for Malaria Prevention.• 2010-15 Campaign ▫ Committed to raising 500,000 CHF
4. Stop TB• Youth Global Initiative• Launched in 2010• Currently supporting 14 kids in children’s home outside Nairobi, Kenya ▫ All kids suffering TB, many also HIV positive
5. Time of Fast - Global Project Fund• Created in in 1973 • A TOF project should ▫ Total contributions - primarily: US$ 5,650,000 ▫ deal directly with people, supporting various YMCA ▫ improve the receivers and community projects quality of life, and emergencies around ▫ be of the self-help variety, the world. with ongoing results, ▫ have the endorsement of the YMCA of the country in which the project is located.
6. • 1973-1985 ▫ 14 projects ▫ Average of US$ 47,000 per year.• 1985-1991 ▫ 28 “Underprivileged Children” projects. ▫ Average of US$ 88,000 per year.• 1991-1999 ▫ 89 “Community Development and Family Involvement” projects. ▫ Average of close to US$ 200,000 per year.
7. • 1999-2002 ▫ 25 projects dealing with “Building People’s Futures” ▫ Average of close to US$ 150,000 per year.• 2002-2006 ▫ 29 projects dealing with “Building a Peaceful Future” ▫ Averaging close to US$ 228,000 per year.• 2005-2011 ▫ 62 projects, 22 of them being under the umbrella of the Unified Global Project (HIV/AIDS) ▫ Average of US$ 292,177 per year.
8. Possible projects• Fundraising activities for YMI programmes ▫ RBM, Stop TB and TOF
9. “Serve the City” - Geneva• Opportunities for collaboration ▫ Carrefour-rue Looking for groups of volunteers who have musical, theatrical or entertainment skills, to put on a show at the Carrefour Rue headquarters in Geneva for kids and adults, throughout the year. ▫ Jardin de Montbrillant Groups of volunteers are needed to help cook, prepare, and serve meals at the Jardin de Montbrillant by Gare Cornavin during the week (8-10 people). Potentially an opportunity for this group to take responsibility on a weekend.
10. “Serve the City” - Geneva• Opportunities for collaboration ▫ Salvation Army Looking for volunteers to provide company and conversation to Geneva residents. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to make a difference in your city through the simple act of friendship – join someone for a walk, a drink or shopping. ▫ Clairbois Looking for 1-2 volunteers with creative skills, who can – on a regular basis – organize activities for kids, such as painting, dance, pottery-making, etc…)
11. Strengths of this group?• Established support ▫ Geneva YMCA ▫ Geneva Y Service Club ▫ Y Service Clubs International Full-time administrative support Website Funds (through TOF)
12. • Possibility in time of formalising the group under the banner of YMI ▫ Access to YMI programmes Grants for travelling International meetings• However, not the preferred option at this moment
13. • Escalade lunch ▫ Geneva Y Service Club ▫ 15 December 2011