Welcome to D2C’s presentation
TRAN VAN CUONG
PHAM KHANH LINH
Ok condoms were first launched in Vietnam in 1994 under the
pilot project by DKT International & Vietnam:
Promote family planning & HIV/AIDS prevention
Intensity distribution and advertising
OK was the market leader in the past
However, the new entrants has successfully entered the market
OK lacked of marketing campaigns to enhance brand awareness
OK was forgotten and perceived negatively towards its product
Fortunately, DKT Vietnam collaborates with Golden Choice in
branding & Promoting the OK Brand in 2013
Vietnamese culture considers “sex” or “having sex” is something dirty, especially sex before marriage.
People are shy and avoid talking about sex, to learn about sex from elders and others. However, recently, Vietnamese
are more open-minded about this topic, particularly young people (Generation Y).
On the other hand, because of the old conception and culture, this generation is lack of knowledge about safe sex and
they often find information about this topic on the internet. A research show that, Vietnam is one of the top 10
countries that search for “sex” keyword on the internet, specifically big cities such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh.
OK used to be the market leader in the condom market but due to the lack of marketing effort, other brands took the
market share and dominate this market.
Competitors (Durex, Sagami & Okamoto) offer higher quality product with different prices.
Moreover, due to the low barrier to entry, new entrants can easily enter the market. Especially, along with condoms,
contraceptives pills are also widely used as an effective contraception method .
Ok products are perceived as the lowest quality product
Other competitors stay strong in the market
Durex is the market leader with highest brand awareness, affordable price, good product quality
The number of couples having sex before
marriage at the age 18 – 24 is increasing.
Young generation is more open-minded
about having sex and buying/using condoms
compare to the older generation.
The target market is easily influenced by
advertisement and new social trend.
Vietnam is ranked 7th in Asia for number of
Internet users. Social media such as
Facebook & YouTube are very effective tools
for viral marketing.
More young people use smartphone. They
can be reached through common
applications that they usually use.
Have enough resources & capabilities to
renovate & promote new products
Lack of efficient marketing campaigns
Low brand image & low product availability
Low sensitivity & limited product lines
Inappropriate pricing strategy
The main competitor has good marketing
strategy and good advertising campaign.
Competitors have better product availability.
Customers may switch to other
contraception methods such as oral
Destination: Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) & Ha Noi (HN)
Gender: Male & Female
Income: Middle ~ Upper (3 ~ 14.9 million VND/Month)
Age: 18 ~ 24 years old
Occupation: Student, White-collar, Blue-Collar & Housewives
Lifestyle: Experiencers (motivated by self-expression, young, enthusiastic & impulsive
Benefit sought: avoid HIV/AIDS, STIs & Pregnancy
User status: Non-User, Potential & First time Users
Target Market Number: 3,000,000 people
Online shopping: nhommua, hotdeal, muachung & giare
Online movies: Hdviet
Online music: mp3.zing.vn, nhaccuatui.com & nhacso.net
Other: Hair salons, Ca phe
Bet, Universities, motels & hotels, buses & bus
• Consumers perceive OK is the lowest product quality:
– Too cheap
– Normally given freely in HIV/AIDS prevention workshops
– Country-of-origin effect (Local brand has lower quality)
• Consumers lack of knowledge and information about STIs, safe-sex &
they are ashamed of buying condoms in-store
• Consumers want a condom with high quality:
– Highly sensitive, safe/durable & wide range of flavors/product line
• Consumers prefer an affordable price, not too cheap
• Consumers seek for self-expression, confidence & may suit their
Convey the message “OK! Get ready for any battles!” – “OK! Sẵn sàng cho mọi trận chiến!”
Inform STIs & new product line/innovation (sensitivity & flavors)
Enhance brand image/awareness, Bring OK brand back to evoked set/preferable brand (Top of mind
awareness – TOMA)
- After Phase 1: Increase brand awareness, knowledge of STIs & safe-sex. Create habit of using OK condoms
in having sex. Gain TOMA position, “condom” evokes customers about OK brand.
- After Phase 2: Create a trend of using OK condoms in young consumers with images of healthy, safe, “real
feeling” & styles. Continue to strengthen TOMA position.
Rank Top 1 in Condom “Evoked Set” (measured by survey)
Increase 15% sales & 20% demand of OK condoms
DKT Vietnam has enough capabilities to renovate the product in term of human & financial resources
Despite there are several competitors, durex is the only one that has high brand awareness because of
advertising. Hence, DKT Vietnam basically just needs to compete against durex.
IMC period: from 1st November 2013 to 1st November 2014 divided into 2 phases:
Phase 1: 1st January 2014 ~ 30th June 2014
Phase 2: 1st July 2014 ~ 31st December 2014
THE BIG IDEA
Our target audience includes both young male & female who value self-expression &
confidence. By understanding the consumer insights, we repositioning the OK brand to
match to the gap in the local market as a condom with affordable price, acceptable quality
but fit with young consumers’ lifestyle.
The implementation plan consists of:
product line with new designs, numerous
flavors & more sensitive
Focusing on advertising on several key
channels to enhance brand awareness
among young consumers
Using viral marketing to generate interest
Redesign packages with horoscopes version
Attach fun facts of horoscopes & QR Code on
the back of the packages
Get Ready For Any Battles!
– 0.03 ~ 0.05 mm thick
Sample illustration only
Increase the price up to 19,000 VND
• Intensity distribution to increase brand awareness
• TVC (Cinema ads & YouTube online advertising video)
– Slogan: “OK! Get Ready For Any Battles!” – “OK! Sẵn sàng cho mọi trận chiến!”
– The stories of “everyday battles” with 4 versions:
A boy with the transparent raincoat to fight against the rain
A girl with the sun-protection coat to fight against the sun
Similar situation, a boy is ready to ride his motorcycles (wear big helmet & leather jacket)
Similarity, a girl with a lot of clothes that need to wash (wear thin gloves)
– They all say out loud the slogan after get prepared, eventually they get excellent
– These are the metaphor used to imply another battle that is against STIs, HIV/AIDS &
“Battle” = “Having sex” = “Lâm trận”
– Channels: TV, Cinema & Social networks (more details on touch points)
• Out-of-home ads (billboards, bus body & bus station ads)
– The designs of those out-of-home ads will be the capture of the TVC’s protagonists
when they are making ‘OK’ sign.
– We only display the ads on the billboards and bus station in the crowded population and
traffic areas of HN & HCMC. Buses which often travel through these areas will be used
for bus-body advertising.
• Online ads
– We will buy online advertising on social networks, websites & forums that are popular to
• Print ads
– The designs of the print ads will be similar to the design of out of home ads
– We will buy the 4th cover page ads of of selected magazines that are popular to young
consumers (refer to touch points). We only buy this ads once every 3 months:
Magazines can be re-read, thus they are kept longer (than the newspaper), so the magazine can continue
reminding the customers about the brand.
We will buy and distribute the magazines with the OK ads to hair salons. Young people often come to hair
salons and in the waiting time, they read newspaper. They will see the OK ads and that will remind them about
2! & 2! Dep are almost available at any newsstands, bookstores and convenient stores in 2 big cities: HN &
HCMC. As the ads are display at the back of the magazine, anyone who just takes the magazine to have a quick
look will see the ads, so even they do not buy the magazine, they are still reached through this touch point.
• Photo booth (with music to attract people)
– In February 2014 at HN & HCMC
– Located near universities, Ca phe Bet, Ho Con Rua & other crowded places which young
consumers often come to
– Young people can come and take photos inside the booth and they will get their photos
immediately (The theme/frame/emoticon of the photos will be modified so that people
can recognize the OK brand/logo/slogan in the photos).
– In addition, what they got is not just only their photos but also a gift set that includes a
hand-sized booklet about safe sex with a condom attached inside the booklet.
– To create the interaction between young people and OK brands, those pictures will be
uploaded on the official Facebook of OK brand, the photo owners can go to the page
and “tag” themselves and their friends.
• Emoticon for mobile apps
– Create lovely collections of emoticons that can be used when chatting and edit photos
via certain apps (refer to touch points).
– These emoticons are designed based on the OK logo so that whenever they use those
emoticons, they are reminded about the brands.
• Social networks
– Social networks channels will be created to upload OK brands and STIs information.
YouTube channel is where people can find OK advertisements and share them.
Facebook is where people can “like” and get updates from OK.
– Main activities of OK Condoms Facebook fan page:
Share YouTube videos
Upload photos in from the photo booth
Share (18+) fun facts about 12 horoscopes & advertise the product related.
Some other exciting games and contests will be organized on the Facebook fan page frequently such as Weekly
games: Which horoscope is the dominator of the week?
– Link the QR code to the fan page event:
the customers scan & join the competition between 12 horoscopes and they may get some small and cute gift
Out of home ads
Emoticons for apps
Out of home ads
that is allocated to a myriad of marketing communication tools. In
essence, we focus mainly on advertising & viral marketing to
Emoticons for apps
Content & game
Contest & game
For this campaign, the budget is estimated to be 5 billion VND
generate interest among young consumers as well as increase the
• Qualitative message research
– To understand consumer interpretation of ad
– Using observation & focus group
– After each stage (pre-test, phase 1 & 2)
• Quantitative message research
– After each phase 1 & 2
Recognition & Recall: did ad influence brand awareness?
Emotional reaction: aroused consumers emotions?
Persuasive impact: pre-behavior indicators
Sales response: has ad campaign affected consumers